Notices
ECU Flash

Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seijuro
An ECU out of just a regular lancer will work right?

I doubt that would be the correct way to go. Get one from a 2003-2005 Evo 8. If you can't find one, PM Wesside, I think he has a friend parting out his Evo8 and has an ECU for sale.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Aug 11, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
I doubt that would be the correct way to go. Get one from a 2003-2005 Evo 8. If you can't find one, PM Wesside, I think he has a friend parting out his Evo8 and has an ECU for sale.
Okay thanks.

I just double verified the part # of the one I found, and it is for an Evo, so here's hoping it works out.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Seijuro
Okay thanks.

I just double verified the part # of the one I found, and it is for an Evo, so here's hoping it works out.
Just make sure its from an evo 8 and NOT an evo 9. It should have four ECU harness ports, the evo 9's have three.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Just make sure its from an evo 8 and NOT an evo 9. It should have four ECU harness ports, the evo 9's have three.
Good tip thanks.

Just for the sake of conjecture while I'm still trying to sort this all out.

The ROM is basically the image of all the settings and whatnot that the computer is programmed with, is that right?

I am still trying to source an evo8 ECU. The one I found fell through and is no longer available. I'm still looking, but while I'm looking I'm also curious about the "regular lancer" ECU.

I was doing some reading up on openecu.org and I found this thread.

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3571

Although nobody answers the question, it seems to me this person doesn't have an Evo, but a regular Lancer, modified with a turbo and some bigger injectors. I say this because the person claims stock injectors are 240cc.

So it would seem that openecu is compatible with the non-evo ecu as well as the evo ecu. I would think then that the non-evo ecu can be tuned as well. Although it may not support the full range of load levels, etc, that the evo ecu does.

That makes me wonder though if the difference between the evo ecu and the non-evo ecu is all in the ROM. What I havn't determined 100% for sure yet is if the entire ROM (I'm still assuming here that the ROM is the *complete* image of parameters for the ECU) can be replaced. If so, a non-evo ECU may just be a flash away from an Evo ECU.

Does anybody happen to know for sure that you can't replace the ROM from a regular Lancer ECU with that of an Evo8 ?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Personally, I'm not sure but it also has to do with the ECU's configuration internally which may be different. Find an ECU pinout for both and see if there are any differences. That'd be the first step. Just because they are both reflashable doesn't mean they are the same. The '98-'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST/GSX's are reflashable yet they are worlds apart from the Evo8 ECU.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I'm not sure but it also has to do with the ECU's configuration internally which may be different. Find an ECU pinout for both and see if there are any differences. That'd be the first step. Just because they are both reflashable doesn't mean they are the same. The '98-'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST/GSX's are reflashable yet they are worlds apart from the Evo8 ECU.

Yeah that was my thinking as well. I'm looking for pinout of the non-evo lancer from 2003 to 2005 and I havn't had any luck so far.

I'll keep looking.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Here is one for an '02 Lancer, not sure if it changed after that year though:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...shi_Lancer.php
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Here is one for an '02 Lancer, not sure if it changed after that year though:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...shi_Lancer.php

So far it's looking good.

The 2.4 lancer pinout only appears do be different in that the 2.4 lists MAP at pin 73. The Evo8 ECU has that blanked off.

Granted, this 2.4 pinout is far from complete, but it's better than the nothing I could find.
Attached Thumbnails Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!-evo8pinout.jpg   Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!-2002lancerecupinout.jpg  

Last edited by Seijuro; Aug 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you'd be an expensive guinea pig but I'm sure the community would LOVE more ECU options
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well, you'd be an expensive guinea pig but I'm sure the community would LOVE more ECU options

I'm willing to do it. My first task is to secure an Evo 8 ECU, and get my car running.

After that, I'll look in to finding just a regular 2003 or 2004 Lancer ECU, and see what I can do.

I know I'm going to need support from those that came before me in order for me to get this working.

The least I can do is leave something for those that come after me.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone put a Evo8 ecu into a 2g with a 6 bolt? I need to know the pinout for that. I know when you put in a 6 bolt into a 2g, specifically a 95, you have to change to the pins around. Whats up with an e8 ecu in a 95 2g with a 6 bolt? Anyone? Thanks

James
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Find a pinout for a 95 as well as a pinout for a 97+. Turn your wiring into 2gb wiring then switch it around for an evo ecu.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VETTE_50_TH
Has anyone put a Evo8 ecu into a 2g with a 6 bolt? I need to know the pinout for that. I know when you put in a 6 bolt into a 2g, specifically a 95, you have to change to the pins around. Whats up with an e8 ecu in a 95 2g with a 6 bolt? Anyone? Thanks

James
You need to swap pins when using a 95 ecu with a 1G CAS.
The 95-96 CAS outputs an inverted signal, so the 95 ecu expects an inverted CAS, that why wires need to be swapped when using an 1G CAS with a 95 ecu.

The 1G, 2G 97-99, and Evo have a normal CAS. So nothing needs to be swapped when using them with a Evo ecu.

You are doing yourself a favor by ditching the 95 CAS, people usually have problems with them and have to run the AUS or EDM roms to get rid of the Misfire Codes.

The 1G Black Top Hall-Effect CAS have the best signal quality and resolution. But are more susceptible to RF interference from aftermarket ignition coils.

All 2G turbos have the same wiring harness.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

I will hopefully be posting up the final wiring diagrams and pictures of the configurations for the obdII and reflashing port tonight.
Hey. Don't mean to be a pest. Any progress on that diagram?

My computer arrived today. MN132874.

I have another question for you though jack. I noticed the "flash cable" has the same plug on it that's used for the stock 1g OBD. I don't suppose it was that readily plug and play was it? Did you use that plug, or did you just run your own wire all the way to the evo computer?

I plan on using this cable, that I am sourcing from dsmchips.com.

I notice in this picture, the 1 wire splits in to at least 2 at the plug which seems a little odd to me to, when the flash wire is supposed to be just 1 wire.

Basically, I just don't want to walk in to a stupid mistake for lack of understanding. Thanks for everybody's help on this.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

You can use the stock OBD1 plug but you just need to make sure that the one wire used for reflashing is in the correct pin location in the OBD1 port. Here is a link to my local forum where I posted some pics of how to do the OBD1 and OBD2 ports already:

http://www.newengdsm.org/forums/view...r=asc&start=60

Only one wire is used for the reflashing, the others are added to the cable to support the plug so the single wire doesn't get pulled out as easy. Thats what the zipties and heatshrink are hiding, the 2 wires that are only 2" long. The diagram is pretty much done, I'm just trying to source some of the AC wires between the 2 ECU's since I don't have AC in my car.

Quick Reply: Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!