Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

03 lancer oz rally grill question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012 | 11:33 AM

03 lancer oz rally grill question

I was wondering how hard it is to replace the stock grill with a mesh one since the lower one is already like that. I saw the evo x's i believe and i want something like that. Is it possible to do without TOO much modification?
Old Mar 9, 2012 | 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...tructions.html

its not difficult. You can remove the plastic inserts on the grill and replace them with mesh. I actually hard more time finding good enough mesh than replacing it. Lowes, Home Deport and a bunch of places near me had mesh with the weaving pattern to wide and spacious.
Old Mar 9, 2012 | 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

its not hard at all but it takes some time and patience. and you can end up with one that looks like this: My Car below

left pic shows before and after. pic2 shows placement on oem hood.
more info here if you want a look see: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/02...rill-done.html

now if u dont want to put in that time to make a one off then their some that are already
made witch are avaliable online from various vendors...
or you can get mesh from any hardware store and form it to fit thats a exact match to the ooem inserts and it will be close to stock as possible. the choice comes down to personal preference
Old Mar 10, 2012 | 10:59 AM

now if u dont want to put in that time to make a one off then their some that are already
or you can get mesh from any hardware store and form it to fit thats a exact match to the ooem inserts and it will be close to stock as possible. the choice comes down to personal preference
could you possibly find me a link? ive been looking but no mesh grilles for my car. i also dont know which evo grilles can fit. i like the 2012 black ice grill. can that fit on my car ??

http://www.carid.com/2012-mitsubishi-lancer-grill/
Old Mar 10, 2012 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrvexx
could you possibly find me a link? ive been looking but no mesh grilles for my car. i also dont know which evo grilles can fit. i like the 2012 black ice grill. can that fit on my car ??

http://www.carid.com/2012-mitsubishi-lancer-grill/
mesh i found at home depot/lowes, get some form/make them like the oem inserts. spray them with black spray paint and ur done

the already made evo style grills go for ~$170. for me i didnt want to spend that much so i found a oem one at a junkyard, bought supplies i need and went to work
Old Mar 12, 2012 | 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
its not hard at all but it takes some time and patience. and you can end up with one that looks like this: My Car below

left pic shows before and after. pic2 shows placement on oem hood.
more info here if you want a look see: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/02...rill-done.html

that grill looks really good! i think im going to have to try to make one. it really doesnt look that hard to make just some time and fiberglass
Old Mar 14, 2012 | 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

its really not that hard, i took some time after work over course of 1 1/2 weeks to get it done cause i had to kep stopping for other crap i had to do lol..i had a oem one on the car while i was working on my modified one so i didnt have a hole on the hood
Old Apr 15, 2012 | 03:35 PM

I replaces my stock grill with the RoadRace Motorsports Carbon Fiber evo style grill.
Its a big improvement and looks a ton better than hacking the stock grill apart.

Name:  DSC_0068-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  106.3 KB
Old Apr 16, 2012 | 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerES18
I replaces my stock grill with the RoadRace Motorsports Carbon Fiber evo style grill.
Its a big improvement and looks a ton better than hacking the stock grill apart.

Everything looks good when the photo has been taken by a professional. But I would rather build my own the git my money to rrm if I can
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 07:13 AM

Its just a suggestion good sir. Its my car, and I'm also the photographer, it looks good in pro photos, and it looks good in iphone pics. LOL.

Im just gonna say like with anyhing in life, you get what you pay for. You drop 300$ on a RRM grill, they look amazing.
You spend an hour cutting your stock grill up and using crazy chicken wire as in insert, it looks cheap.Like I'm not bashing it if you wanna go the cheap route. But look at the yellow lancer posted farther up, its got the same bodykit and almost the same lights. The grill just looks hagard. No offense.
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Its just a suggestion good sir. Its my car, and I'm also the photographer, it looks good in pro photos, and it looks good in iphone pics. LOL.

Im just gonna say like with anyhing in life, you get what you pay for. You drop 300$ on a RRM grill, they look amazing.
You spend an hour cutting your stock grill up and using crazy chicken wire as in insert, it looks cheap.Like I'm not bashing it if you wanna go the cheap route. But look at the yellow lancer posted farther up, its got the same bodykit and almost the same lights. The grill just looks hagard. No offense.
Jeez, you have a nice looking lancer. I want that bumper, my intercooler would sit so pretty!
I say get the RRM grill if possible that's one thing I don't regret buying from them. If funds don't permit or you don't want to drop money on only a Lancer then make your own.

What wheels are those Btw?
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 11:18 AM

Thank you sir. The car is an example of you get what you pay for. But all info on my car can be found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/02...ite-02-es.html
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you sir. The car is an example of you get what you pay for. But all info on my car can be found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/02...ite-02-es.html
No don't get me wrong its looks really good on your, and I saw pics of your car this morning and its sick as hell. I just don't know if it would match the carbon fiber hood I have and try not to buy from them if I can.
Old Apr 18, 2012 | 05:12 AM

Well wait a week and we can find out. I'm supposed to be picking up a carbon hood from a buddy. But it should match no matter, and if you dont want to buy from RRM they sell cheaper ones on ebay too, just dont hack the stck one apart, they dont look so good is all I'm saying.
Old Oct 12, 2012 | 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by krisgoodwin84
No don't get me wrong its looks really good on your, and I saw pics of your car this morning and its sick as hell. I just don't know if it would match the carbon fiber hood I have and try not to buy from them if I can.
whats wrong with rrm?