Notices
02-03 Lancer Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Accolade Lancer Jdm Evo 9 Rear Diffuser finaly done...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Accolade Lancer Jdm Evo 9 Rear Diffuser finaly done...

This project is completed since july 6th 2010, im just posting it now on here....

As we all know the accolade rear diff for the 02-03''s are made from a very bad mold.....
several sclc members can confirm this and others on here.....

as u can see theirs gaps below the tail lights on both sides ( 1st pic ) and the area below the tail lights...
The 2nd and 3rd pic below show the work i had to do by filling it in and what it looks like
after i reinstalled my tail light back on

here is the driver side rear im working on atm. on the quarter panel, the driver side where they meet
up are gaps, even though the bumper is mounted with the factory bumper brackets in the oem location....

trunk line took some time, what i did was make it even from left to right side the best i can and have plenty
of room when i close the trunk, gap i meas is 1/4in witch is enough for the trunk to close propperly.
now i just have to do some finishin work and whatnot...

Here i took off bumper, filled areas i needed and sprayed high build filler primer.. the white/grey stuff is
from the 220grit sandpaper that im using to sand down the whole bumper. it will
be cleaned off when i primer the whole thing.

1st pic is bumper hanging whille i was sanding/prep, much easier for me hanging it this way doing
final sanding before primer. the last 2 are primering 1st a light and thenn a full/wet.. i did several coats of
primer between the 2 pics you see sanding in between each coat & wet sanding on the last few coats....

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

primer is done.. l taped off the rest of the bumper leaving the diff area exp for the gloss black paint..

i applied 1 light coat then waited 10 min then went back for a wet one....
just have to let it dry, should be a few min and ill sand it then a second coat will be applied.

1st pic is a light coat then straight to a wet one.. the last pic is of what/how it looks atm after
several coats and sanding... i started wif a 400g wet inbetween 2 coats then 600g then im to a 800g..

thats where i stopped cause i ran out of sunlight..
i think it looks damm good for a rattlecan job. im gonna lay more coats tomorrow....

need touchup paint to run along teh lines that sep the diff part from the rest to make it al even sand
that area so both layers are even clear coat to follow on weekend and the finished product mounted on the car

I did buy the rexxspeed cf exaust cover ( the jdm evo 9 ) for my bumpper and it fits like a glove

its obv not the same as a paint job with a sppraygun in a real booth, but damm close
theirs some spots tht need to be touched up/fixed cause while it was drying , i think a gust of wind
blew my drop cloth over wet paint , tht can be done later.. im just happy its done, finally....

overall im happy with how it turned out, minus the spots thht goot fubbared and it was a good learning expperiance to boot

not bad for a rattlecan job

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Jul 24, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow .. looks nice.. post some pix of the whole car
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

in do time.. im gonna fix the crack in the ken front first.... and once i got all the knicks fixed on the car, im gonna pain the whole thing myself... i have room to do it in my dads garage
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice!!! Wanna work on mine?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

I was also wondering about the rexpeed cover. thanks!!! Can't wait to see it in person sometime.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

i can work on urs if u buy meh a ny steak dinner well done wit potatoes, sour cream or u can take me to d&b haha.. btw is your oz a ww one ? and were u at mod this year ? if so that diffuser needs alotta work done from what i saw if that was ur car
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:37 PM

looks good, i want one of those on my lancer so bad
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
i can work on urs if u buy meh a ny steak dinner well done wit potatoes, sour cream or u can take me to d&b haha.. btw is your oz a ww one ? and were u at mod this year ? if so that diffuser needs alotta work done from what i saw if that was ur car
I was the white OZ with the bike... yeah, the bumper is pretty much fubarred.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

NY steak dinner sounds good or D&B lol... I'm still a newb when it comes to fillers/fiberglass.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

its bad but not really bad.. with some work & tlc you can save the bumper and make it nice.. on for mine im lucky to had my oem rear still while i work on my diffuser, so i was driving around town with my oem bumper and the jdm bend muffler haha
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

it's got a rip in the material from some douchebag who backed into me. I was thinking of frankensteining the rip with some zip ties... -but I opted not to. JDM bend muffler? Like the drifter's angle or something?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

indeed i had a local shop angle it to flow with the bumper somewhat.. what i would do is fiberglass the entire underside with several layers of glass under the cracked areas to give it some strength and use either bondo glass or hair both are stronger than reg bondo but each has strands of fiberglass in it.. glass has short strands and hair has long strands of fiberglass mixed in the bondo can.. lay the bondo glass/haiir on the topside of the bumper.. thats what i used for my rear and it worked out great
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:05 PM

nice. lets see more pics