Notices

head unit installation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head unit installation

hey guys, i know this has been posted over and over again but I still have not got the answer I need from all of the previous posts. I have a ralliart with sun and sound and I took my car to Best Buy (i know, i dont know what I was thinking) to get a kenwood head unit put in. They put it in and said that they had to bypass the stock amp and that I could come in the next day for the sub to hooked up bc the kid that knew how to do it was gonna be there. Well I found out that the stock amp really gives the speakers clearity and that the infinity speakers sounded like crap without it when i got my car back. I went back the next day and the kid at Best Buy told me there was no way for the subwoofer to work with my headunit (even tho my headunit does have sub hookup). So my question is, is he right?? and does the cable from soundgate.com have nething to do with this?? My ultimate goal is to get my headunit in my ralliart (bc i have sattellite radio with it), have my sub work as well, and have my speakers and sub sound just as good as it does with the stock headunit. is there ANY way for me to do this???????
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

since he had to bypass your stock amp, no you cant use your sub unless you get a seperate amp to power it .
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

i am going thru that same problem myself ,i was hoping that soundgate.com would be exactly what i need .the guys at circuit city dont know about the cables from southgate
Old Jan 16, 2006, 02:05 PM

the soundgate adapter is all you need, i used it for my pioneer navi/dvd unit and it works beautifully, stock infinity system sounds just as good if not better than it did with the old stock headunit
Old Jan 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

when i installed my headunit they didnt have an adaptor kit for the ralliart . so i had to re run all the wires to the speakers,power,ground,acc ect....

and my stock speakers sound like crap after that too , your aftermarket headunit supplies alot more power and those little stock infinitys cant handle it, you might have to upgrade your speakers, i did and it sounds soooo much better. as far as your sub , if your going to keep that sub you really dont need to much power to push that thing either. just hook up like a little 200 watt amp and it will be fine, if you want more power or bass comming from your sub your gonna have to get a better sub or subs and a better amp.
i mean thats if you want to do it yourself, if these guys at sound gate.com has the adaptors you need go with them it will be alot easier to just plug and play
Old Jan 16, 2006, 04:26 PM

so if i get the soundgate cord, what needs to be done so everything works good....
Old Jan 16, 2006, 04:54 PM

nothing, the plug from the amp which was connected right to the old headunit plugs right into the soundgate adapter, the other end of the adapter has 4 rca plugs on them, just plug them into the new headunit.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

wow! i wish they had that adapter back when i had to go through all that crap. lol.
im thinking about going back and redoing the whole thing just to have a cleaner set up not to mention that i have probably over 25 lbs. of freakin wireing running through my car.lol well maby not that much but shure seems like it.

by the way how long has this adapter been out there?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

oh, and would i have to order it or can i pick it up somewhere?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:27 PM

that sounds real good. i was looking at the picture tho and i see the plug for the amp and 4 rca plugs but what needs to be done with the blue wire that is shown?? it almost seems to easy!!! freakin best buy...

Last edited by bthom85; Jan 16, 2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:32 PM

ralliart 04,

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

thats the link for the cord.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

thanks !
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't run into any of these problems, however I *think* this may be because I picked up a head unit with 3 pre outs (subs, front, rear). Doing so will bybass a whole metric shatner of confusion. Later on down the road I picked up a mono amp to power two alpine s-type 12's, and I have the deck speakers still running off the stock infinity amp, however I did end up replacing the speakers themselves. So ya, get a deck with three sets of pre-outs and you won't have any of the headache that so many it seems have run into.

For those curious:

HU: Alpine 9830
alpine 420-i ipod/changer interface (I love this thing)
fr dr spkr: alpine s-type spa-170's
rear deck: stock
stock amp for the deck speakers
alpine mrp-m350 mono amp running two alpine s-type 12's in parallel at 2 ohms.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Jan 16, 2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:43 PM

i was looking at the picture of the soundgate cord tho and i see the plug for the amp and 4 rca plugs but what needs to be done with the blue wire that is shown??
Old Jan 16, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bthom85
i was looking at the picture of the soundgate cord tho and i see the plug for the amp and 4 rca plugs but what needs to be done with the blue wire that is shown??
that cord hooks up to your headunit harness and it powers on and off the amp when the car turns on and off so its not on all the time and have a dead battery in the morning.

i cant beleive some people rewired their whole system and even bypassed the amp, and still cant have the sub working..........and pay for messing up their system. all you need is this adapter, hook up the 4 rca cables, plug in the harness to the headunit and thats it............ill do it for free for anywhere around here instead of going to best buy that dont know shiiit about anything but selling crap and telling false stuff just to add to their commision paycheck.

Last edited by Ralli04Art; Jan 16, 2006 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: head unit installation