Notices

Raspy Sound From Down Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raspy Sound From Down Pipe!

I got the rrm down pipe and now my car sounds like a raspy civic! I already have a greedy axle back and don't wan't to go with a resinator because of restrictive flow. Does any one know if I finish it from down pipe to axle back with a larger pipe would it sound better? Or should I go with a whole new cat back system.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
A resonator won't restrict the flow, as they're a straight through design with no obstructions. You have two options, either to install a resonator, or a high-flow cat. Resonator is the better option of the two.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Speaking from experience.....the resonator does less for sound than the high flow. I started by adding a resonator and the real results came with the CAT. The 2.4 is a very difficult beast to tame. I spent about $1200 and still had a loud car. Do it right the first time. I had a 2.25" cat back made with the RRM dp. The more the 2.4 flows, the louder it gets.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah i like the loudness just not the raspy sound! I would like it just as loud but deeper and not like a civic with a CAI and a 3" cat back with a 20" tip! So I am not trying to queit the beast but obtain a deeper cleaner sound! What ideas do you guyz have for me?
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

I still recommend a resonator. It won't make it quieter, just deeper. A cat will make it both deeper and quieter. Get the longest resonator you can fit in there, such as a 24" magnaflow.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

The loudness doesn't bother me too much or even the fumes. What really bothers me is the axleback from RRM, I guess it can't handle the flow or what but between 2000-3000 RPM I get this horrible vibrating/buzzing "cheap ebay muffler sound"

"bee in a can"

Will a high flow cat and resonator actually take care of this? Or should I start looking for a better muffler? Ie. something more expensive ?

I'm considering just going back to stock
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car is set up like this:

CAI--->downpipe--->24" resonator--->axleback

The resonator and the axleback are both Magnaflow. Without the resonator I couldn't stand the sound! It was both loud and raspy (as someone else mentioned). That resonator cut the sound probably in half, and got rid of MOST of the raspiness. I still get it when my car is cold, but usually disappears after a few minutes of driving around. This is probably the best sound you are going to get without putting in a CAT.

For anyone doubting the resonator, trust me on this. It is still very aftermarket sounding, and the neighbors still know when I'm home! When you blip the throttle, it gives that little growl when pulling up... a real head turner.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:28 AM

is someone going to defend the comment Adam makes about RRM muffler sounding like a 'beein a can'...i kind of want one, but i don't like that feedback about the muffler.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jvallier
is someone going to defend the comment Adam makes about RRM muffler sounding like a 'beein a can'...i kind of want one, but i don't like that feedback about the muffler.
It is great as long as you don't put on the downpipe thats what makes me so mad. I went from sounding deep and not at all raspy to sounding like crap after the downpipe.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:47 AM

oh i see, makes sense now. party on
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone know what the sound would be like with a stock muffler, and the RRM downpipe? I'm not sure if anyone has this set up, but I was thinking of trying it in the spring.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by psychlancer
Anyone know what the sound would be like with a stock muffler, and the RRM downpipe? I'm not sure if anyone has this set up, but I was thinking of trying it in the spring.
Thats probablly the worst thing you could ever do, and it would deff give you the worst sound ever
Old Feb 1, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

could you explain why, i realize stock is restrictive, but it is alot quieter than performance upgrades.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:00 AM
EvoM Administrator

I haven't heard the downpipe with the stock muffler, however from what I hear, it sounds a LOT worse than with the magnaflow.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psychlancer
I actually had this setup first because the axleback was on backorder. It sounded like my muffler was going to blow any minute!!! I was soooo embarased to drive around like this. I don't think that Mitsu muffler can handle the flow.

Quick Reply: Raspy Sound From Down Pipe!