Notices

gear oil for our tranny's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes the synchros can be damaged by 50k, they can be damaged in 2k if the jerk doesn't shift normally. Royal Purple has additives that coat your synchros with a very fine film, that reduces friction on them. I'm sure others have stuff like that too, but that is one of Royal Purple's main selling points. Which is why shifting is improved.

I noticed a huge difference in my Zaklee bushings. I wrote a small review in the market place towards the end of the sale-thread. Worth every cent IMO. I think this should be the first modification anyone does.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeh i got the BG2 synthetic synchroshift, im almost sure it also has those same additives.
so do u get the clicking noise when u shift into gear?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Royal Purple has additives that coat your synchros with a very fine film, that reduces friction on them.
Synchros require a certain amount of friction to work properly. That's why Mobil1 synthetic gear lube will make your car shift like crap. It's too slippery.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

occasionally I will get grinding when I downshift into first in my parking lot. It's nice to practice rev-matching first, but not recommended sometimes when I go from reverse to first too quickly it will complain too. never grind my gears unless it's my fault, only happens when I'm getting ready to street race a little ricer and get all excited and stuff trying to shift with no clutch into second. damn that granny shifting /end sarcasm<<<<< in other words, if you are grinding when up shifting you should slow down a little, and if you know what you are doing already and think it's the car you can investigate the clutch system, especially the slave modulator, but generally speaking the gears will never grind unless you have a problem or you did it.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Synchros require a certain amount of friction to work properly. That's why Mobil1 synthetic gear lube will make your car shift like crap. It's too slippery.
I was under the exact opposite impression. That Mobil1 was GL-5 rated and the additives they used were sulfur based which ate synchros.

That isn't the case with Royal Purple. RP uses Synerlec. It doesn't make them too slippery, just enough to protect them and give them a little less friction. You can't have too much friction on synchros or you will grind them.

Synerlec® additive technology forms a tough, slippery, synthetic film on all metal surfaces. This proprietary film significantly improves lubrication: first, by increasing the oil film's thickness, and second, by increasing the oil film's toughness, both of which help to prevent metal-to-metal contact. It displaces moisture from metal surfaces and protects all metals against rust and corrosion. It also fortifies the oil against the detrimental effects of heat, which causes oil to oxidize.

Either way, I've had Royal Purple Synchromax (which I noticed you recommended on another thread), and I'm happy with it. No tough shifting, all it did was improve my shifting. I'm not sure what was in it before but it looked brand new, so at least I know it wasn't warn down or w/e.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, after 30k my mitsu fluid looked pretty good. the mobil1 looked pretty clean when I poured it in the grass after only 10k too
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

LOL even with flakes of synchro in the glass
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

I said grass being funny, but yeah if I had looked real close I am sure I would have seen something. that stuff was absolute *** quality for our tranny
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

yea the gl-5 liquids usually are too slick for our tranny's and the mobile one is worst i think ... one more thing the mitsu stuff is top notch its very expensive but you have to understand it has years of R&D on rally its prob some of the best stuff out there its called DIAQUEEN if i m not mistaken good stuff hella expensive and we dont really need it on a stock RA.

this thread proved to be an interesting read
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=penzoil
just read through it good info in it regardless if you care about the penzoil or not.

btw all of this is from reading no personal experience yet will have bushing shortshift and new oil hopefully in by end of month with DIY motor mounts if i got time to spare.

I do apologize if i came off a lil rude about the search i had just spent 2 days searching didn't mean to be arrogant or anything and some times you just need the question answered from personal experience newayz so its understandable

Last edited by LithiumX; Sep 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I was under the exact opposite impression. That Mobil1 was GL-5 rated and the additives they used were sulfur based which ate synchros.

That isn't the case with Royal Purple. RP uses Synerlec. It doesn't make them too slippery, just enough to protect them and give them a little less friction. You can't have too much friction on synchros or you will grind them.

Synerlec® additive technology forms a tough, slippery, synthetic film on all metal surfaces. This proprietary film significantly improves lubrication: first, by increasing the oil film's thickness, and second, by increasing the oil film's toughness, both of which help to prevent metal-to-metal contact. It displaces moisture from metal surfaces and protects all metals against rust and corrosion. It also fortifies the oil against the detrimental effects of heat, which causes oil to oxidize.

Either way, I've had Royal Purple Synchromax (which I noticed you recommended on another thread), and I'm happy with it. No tough shifting, all it did was improve my shifting. I'm not sure what was in it before but it looked brand new, so at least I know it wasn't warn down or w/e.

Well under normal circumstances, there should be little to no metal to metal contact, even with the OEM oil. Normally, a synchro synchronizes due to shear force on the oil, not by physical contact.

Resistance to shear is really what is meant by slipperiness. In a transmission, you want an oil that is not too slippery. If it IS too slippery, then the oil itself cannot synchronize the cone and collar, the two parts must touch.

I'm sure Royal Purple is not too slippery, otherwise your shifting would be worse. What it probably is is a superior lubricant (coats parts better, lowers friction or whatever), but it would have to contain additives that make it act like normal gear oil when subject to shear force between the cone and collar.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:50 PM
EvoM Community Team

Interesting, thanks for the clarification.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

well any synthetic gl-4 gear oil would be better than some none synthetic in most cases...i would still recommend either penzoil or bg2...havent done much research on royal purple, so i dont wana say anything on that side
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Pennzoil used to have a very bad reputation for being / having wax based materials in their motor oil (not sure about their gear oil), and it would break down engines quicker than it should have. I don't think they do this today, but ever since this (stories I've been told about Pennzoil since I was a little kid from my dad) I won't use Pennzoil. Don't really trust them...

But as others have said on these boards and not on this thread (which is why this thread shouldn't have been started), anything that is GL-4 and has Synchro in the title should have the protection for synchros our cars need and work perfectly fine.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

this thread about penzoil, its about advice for what gear oil to use...any extra input that might be benefial to at least one person, would be beneficial in general.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I use the quaker state synchromesh (the exact same as penzoil) and it works miracles compared to the stock crap. I would definately recommend it.

Quick Reply: gear oil for our tranny's