Notices

Cheap heater / ac control valve repair

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap heater / ac control valve repair

I bought a 04 black ralliart with 33k miles a few months ago and the heater control knob broke the next day. The knob was frozen. I cleaned out the cabin filter which was filled with dirt and leaves. I then replaced the two updated gear parts I read about in another thread but that did not help. I didn't want to spend 400 - 600 to fix the dumb sticking knob. So being a cheap chinese , I knew there had to be a cheap fix. Inside the heater box the heater door slides open and close on channels which got filled with dirt. I needed to somehow get water in there to clean the channels. I had steam wall paper remover which had a long extension tube. I removed the fan motor under the glove box. Then I stuck the tube as far as I could toward the heater box. After that I stuck some towels around the extension tube and in the tunnel towards the heater box to prevent the steam from coming back out. After allowing steam to come out vents on top of dash for 10 minutes, I got under driver side of dash and started moving the gear for heater door back and forth. The gear became looser. I probably worked the gear on and off for 20 minutes. It seems to have worked. I will go back tomorrow and make sure it really works. I reattached the cable to dash control valve and it seems okay. I am in Anaheim if you need help but remove fan motor first. I hate that one screw.

Last edited by driftxtz; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:08 PM

follow up to sticky ac knob

sorry double post

Last edited by driftxtz; Mar 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: double post
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:47 PM

follow up to sticky ac knob

The knob was still a little sticky once it dried but at least I can move the knob today. So I repeated the steamer again. I removed the cable to the knob and started opening and closing the heater door by rotating the gears. Make sure to rest after rotating the door a few times to allow steam water to build up in channels to help flush dirt out. This time I worked the heater door until there was absolutely no resistance at all. It moved very freely and this was as good as it was going to get. So I allowed it to dry and reattached the cable. It does feel better than the first time but there still is a little friction there. Oh well I was hoping it would feel like new but I have no idea what it felt like when it was new. Good luck to anyone that tries and send all donations to me from all the money you have just saved.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:25 AM

follow up to sticky knob

Knob still felt a little sticky so i checked out the cable connected to the knob. I am surprized no one has mentioned this before but there is a thick wire about half the diameter of a hanger inside the cable. This wire became bent ^ from the friction caused by the heater door. The bend causes the wire to rub inside the cable and causing the sticky knob. Just straighten out the bend and put on some lube then it should feel like new. My kids don't want the car so i am selling it. Low mileage 34k original car. What a shame, it is the perfect tuner car.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM

I have this too..!

My car is doing this too.. Can you send a pic of the area where the cable is bent or get into detail on how to get to it? Thank you!
Old May 16, 2012, 11:24 AM

Link on how to remove ac control panel.

Mitsubishi Evolution VIII The bent cable is behind control panel.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:27 AM

Note on bent cable

Probably better to buy new cable if wire looks weaken. But it should work fine once you straighten it.