Notices

Polishing an intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing an intake Manifold

So i just purchased a ported intake manifold to match the cylinder heads. Awesome right? Well come to find out it isnt polished but still a good deal i thought. So what i would like to know is
1. Does polishing make a difference?
2. If so, are the parts i shouldnt polish
3. Instructions and or tips for the project

If no response soon i will do it myself and post a detailed DIY guide. Admins if i should not post this here please let me know and i will be glad to move it. Thanks guys for any tips and or suggestions. Mivec pride
Old May 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Polishing can make a difference when it’s done right. Areas where fuel and air need to flow polishing smoothes out the surface and allows less friction. think of it like a counter top, u slide a cup across it and yes it will move and with enough force it will reach the end, but u put that cup on a piece of smooth glass and takes less force to get it to the end. All the little imperfections on the surface of the intake slows down the air and fuel as it enters, smooth it out (polishing it) and they flow better. It may only be a little bit of resistance on a lower HP car but every little bit helps when u start getting big numbers. As far as how to do it, it’s a long process and very time consuming but I drimel and a polishing head and some polish should work. it will start to turn really bright and then u will know ur getting there. I do recommend having someone who has done this before show u how first and then trying it yourself just so u can see when to stop. I hope this helps.

aaron

Last edited by Aaron20; May 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old May 5, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

thanks now all i need is someone who has done it to send me a set of instructions cuz i know i cant be the only one to do it myself
Old May 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hate to be a pessimist but on such a low power car I really doubt you're going to see a single bit of difference. It'll be a ton of labor for nothing.
Old May 5, 2010, 06:00 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Come on otter it will give some gains nothing astronomical but surely some topend advantages .. That's where I noticed it anyway..
Old May 6, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

i was figuring maybe a horse or 2 the port is the larger gain
Old May 6, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aaron20
Polishing can make a difference when it’s done right. Areas where fuel and air need to flow polishing smoothes out the surface and allows less friction. think of it like a counter top, u slide a cup across it and yes it will move and with enough force it will reach the end, but u put that cup on a piece of smooth glass and takes less force to get it to the end. All the little imperfections on the surface of the intake slows down the air and fuel as it enters, smooth it out (polishing it) and they flow better. It may only be a little bit of resistance on a lower HP car but every little bit helps when u start getting big numbers. As far as how to do it, it’s a long process and very time consuming but I drimel and a polishing head and some polish should work. it will start to turn really bright and then u will know ur getting there. I do recommend having someone who has done this before show u how first and then trying it yourself just so u can see when to stop. I hope this helps.

aaron

You are 100% incorrect in your statements above. Airflow does not work in any way shape or form in accordance to your example.

The optimal surface for air to flow across is to sand it with is somewhere between 80-200 grit sandpaper. Look it up.

The exhaust side is a different story, I like to polish it as best as I can to avoid carbon buildup, but others will recommend against a fully polished surface. The exhaust side is where you will find varying opinions.

On the intake side, you DO NOT want a polished surface.

Last edited by tkklemann; May 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to shoot myself in the morning for using a wikpedia link, oh well, but I wanted to provide some meaningful information to you as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

Do MUCH reading before you even do ANYTHING WITH PORTING as you run more of a risk of screwing it up than doing good.

If you do what Aaron20 said, you will do more damage than good to your manifold.

Last edited by tkklemann; May 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys its all useful to me and by the sound of it i dont want anything to do with it. Ive got the ported intake ill make due with that im sure it will be plenty of horse especially with my cai
Old May 10, 2010, 06:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Hate to be a pessimist but on such a low power car I really doubt you're going to see a single bit of difference. It'll be a ton of labor for nothing.
What i was thinking