Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Painting My Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

If you have a drill, you can buy a metal brush mounted on an haxagonal shaft like a drill bit. That way you can scrape rust off... and depending on the kind of paint and the way it was applied, the paint would probably come off too.

There are also some liquid paint removers on the market... but once again, it would be helpful if you knew the type of paint used on the drums so you can be sure the remover will actually work on it.

But clearly, sandblasting the part would be the best option...

-
it was painted with engine paint(I know, NOOB mistake) so im thinking the wirebrush idea sounds good. then I will probably use the duplicolor kit.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wire brush is a great idea. If you wanted, you could try something like acetone, might work.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

would I need to primer it if using the duplicolor kit? or is that included? or not needed? lol I'm just full of questions.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

The duplicolor kit comes with the caliper cleaner and the paint and a ****ty paint brush. You do not need to prime it and could most likely paint right over your current paint after you give it a good scraping with a wire brush and then the cleaner. DON'T use the paint brush they give you. The brissels will fall off and dry into your paint and you will be pissed off forever lol.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

The duplicolor kit comes with the caliper cleaner and the paint and a ****ty paint brush. You do not need to prime it and could most likely paint right over your current paint after you give it a good scraping with a wire brush and then the cleaner. DON'T use the paint brush they give you. The brissels will fall off and dry into your paint and you will be pissed off forever lol.
Evolving Member

Evolving Member

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the million posts guys, computer went nuts
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
lol ok thanks. I will try to get the paint today and I will stop at home depot or something and get a softer bristled brush(a good one) and then paint it either tomorrow afternoon or sometime monday. I will post pics when I'm done.

Last edited by JohnnyBoy427; Jun 30, 2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Here are some pictures of my calipers after a year and a half...

Front Calipers...
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~mwcastle/caliper1.JPG
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~mwcastle/caliper2.JPG
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~mwcastle/caliper3.JPG

Back Calipers...
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~mwcastle/caliper4.JPG
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~mwcastle/caliper5.JPG

It could definately use another top coat, which I've been planning to do for a
couple weeks. It just takes a good deal of time.

Last edited by Cow town racer; Jun 30, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Still looks nice for a year and a half. what would happen if i painted the hub part of the rotor? the part that usually rusts horribly?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not positive how it would work out, but Im pretty sure you'd be fine as long as you did a good job scaping and sanding it prior to painting to ensure that there's no rust underneath the layer of paint. If you can find some heat resistant primer than there would probably be no harm in priming it before painting. I personally would just give it a good sanding and then make sure you paint it well. Give it four or five coats.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I fly back home I'll let you know what paint I used, it was actually a spray paint that so far is still looking good. Best to take your whole caliper off to use spray though - but if you are like me and don't know how and too paranoid to try spraying onto a paintbrush and brushing it on worked really well. Ang yeah don't use a crappy brush as the bristle fall out and stick and look crappy
Old Jul 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

i left mine on and i also seemed to be one of the few that brushed on the paint instead of spraying them...i didnt primer them soo i just sanded them down, put on a bunch of red coats, let dry, then i masked off everything and sprayed a few clear coats to keep them from chipping because when i first did them about a year ago i didnt primer them but i also didnt clear coat. now they look even better with the clear coat...looks like candy
Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04
i left mine on and i also seemed to be one of the few that brushed on the paint instead of spraying them...i didnt primer them soo i just sanded them down, put on a bunch of red coats, let dry, then i masked off everything and sprayed a few clear coats to keep them from chipping because when i first did them about a year ago i didnt primer them but i also didnt clear coat. now they look even better with the clear coat...looks like candy
Actually, almost everyone I've seen has brushed it on (most people have gone with the duplicolor kit). The only thing that he has to be warry of is the fact that he is painting the entire drum on the rear instead of calipers, so he'll be covering a much larger surface.

P.S.
Post a pic, I would like to see your calipers with the clear coat!