Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Question Regarding Eyelid NEcessity

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Regarding Eyelid NEcessity

Just curious, as IMHO, the eyelids are crazily overpriced for what they are, and they don't even come with adhesive....what is to stop people from just painting the eyelid portion of the headlight? If the mod interested me at all, I sure know that's how I would do it...a much more permanant, better-looking and overall less expensive alternate vs. iffy-looking eyelids....
Old Jul 26, 2004, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm sure you could paint it...however, paint chips...so its not really all that permanent.

I've had the eyelids on my car for a couple months now and I just had to buy a roll of double sided automotive tape for 2 bucks...no biggie...haven't had a single problem w/ it.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:52 PM

i really think just sucking it up and getting the eyelids would be much better then just painting it...cuz yea paint chips and you would always be redoing it and it would look cheap all chipped up....just paying the 45 bucks it worth it.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobaby
i really think just sucking it up and getting the eyelids would be much better then just painting it...cuz yea paint chips and you would always be redoing it and it would look cheap all chipped up....just paying the 45 bucks it worth it.

What kind of automotive world is it where paying $45 for a piece of plastic/sticker and using double-sided tape is the CHEAP way to do something versus painting it?? I'd pay double the price and get it done right with paint (I don't really care for the mod) then a sticker.

'paint chips'.....so instead of that on my car, it should be composed of painted, double-sided tape panels?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, but let's say down the road you want to sell the car. Now what dealership is going to take a car that's had its headlights half-painted over?

Just sucking it up and buying the eyelids is the smart choice here.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Azure - Your paying for the R&D and the fiberglass....not plastic bud. But hey, you sound like you already have your mind made up....so why bother posting a question about eye lids unless just for debate??
Good luck w/ your painting of the headlights.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 07:54 AM

hey i just put my eyelids on on friday, they look great not iffy, or cheap, i personally think painting them would look way TP (TP=trailer park). if you are way to cheap to go get them, look around at the shops in your town for vinyl, cut it and form it, itll at least look better than paint
Old Jul 27, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

"Good luck w/ your painting of the headlights."

......I'M NOT DOING THE MOD! I DON'T LIKE THE MOD! Why can't people read??? The reason why I'm posting the question is because it genuinely interests me as to why this is such a much better solution, and I can see the re-sale reason, though not the durability one. Man, sounds like some people who've done this or like this mod are a wee bit touchy. :|
Old Jul 27, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Hey man...I'm not touchy about anything...I'M not the one who's yellin here.

If I skipped over or misread something then whoops....but your posts DO come off a bit harsh and as if your putting down the people that spent the money on the eyelids rather then the "cheep" way out....
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I just wondered why people figure it was such a better option vs. the paint, I guess I got my answer. lol People can do whatever they want to their car, I don't think it looks ghastly horrible, just not for me.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I think the eyelids mod could be the stupidest thing I've ever seen, but that's just my opinion. I hate eyelids on any car, in general...
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

It just is noticable, really, is the thing I don't like about it. I mean...the only point I see is that it makes the headlights more 'evo'ish. Then again, to each their own.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

I think the lids are well-made and a nice mod. I just don't like them. If I wanted my RA's headlights to look like an 03 I could have saved 5k.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I just thought about doing the eyelids myself... and since I have a friend doing computer-cut vinyl stripes, I think I'd go to him and get it done that way. It's quite a nice finish, very discreet and costs about 15$ (if I had to pay for it of course). Then, if it gets damaged, you only tear it up and get it redone (or not). It kind of the same process as this stransparent stone guard stripe they can put on your hood... only, this vinyl is transparent. And yes, when the guys knows what he's doing, it can match the car's color very well... and you can even get semi-transparent finish. It's worth exploring, since I too thought that 45$ is way too expensive for these little plastic parts...

BTW: I didn't think much about eyelids myself... until I saw an actual car with them on at the Montreal meet last weekend (I think Enjoku had them). In person it actually kinda looks nice... It makes the RA look a bit more agressive.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

I think if you paint your headlights light would shine through it for sure and it will look cheap.. once you make the mistake you would be hard pressed to reverse the damage... and the thing with vinyl is that it will oxidize over time leaving spots that gradually fade...

Quick Reply: Question Regarding Eyelid NEcessity