Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

How can I retard timing for nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I retard timing for nitrous?

Suggestions?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Smack it really hard in the head first... Seriously, that's why I went to the emanage. I couldn't find anything else out there that was as reasonably priced. In all fairness I did ask RRM if they could flash a N2O specific piggyback but they said no. You're other option (if you want to call it that) is to try and disable your MIVEC so it doesn't advance your timing... Yeah I know what's the point then right?
I'm in process of getting a wiring diagram and if I can find a fields harness for our car I'll have some maps for emanage. I found a loophole in the bet, tuning doesn't count towards the limit!

If anyone else has anyway to adjust timing let us both know!

AMG
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

AMG have you actually ran your nitrous yet?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Not yet, Haven't even bought it in fact. I joined up about the same time that I decided to juice it. I don't want to fry the pistons before my first oil change! That's a little hard to explain to the service manager. I do plan on running a 75hp shot from NX since they jet for whp not bhp. I'm hoping to get into the low 14 high 13 range on drag radials if retarding the spark doesn't kill the hp too much. It'd be a real ***** to trade all the mivec for a little (okay alot) n2o... Track time is in April. I'll know for sure one way or the other then I guess. I'm still looking for an adapter harness. I thought the evo one would work but someone on here said RA's have 5 plugs instead of 4. If it wasn't Mardi Gras weekend I'd find out for sure myself. I might just have to fab up some pin adapters/extensions for the factory wires I need. Not the prettiest way but I could still pull my wires and go back to "stock" if anyone were looking that is. Hell I haven't picked up a CAI or muffler yet! I'm studying too hard, but I have to make sure before I buy it.
I'm trying to find out as much info about nitrous+mivec not=boom as you are. You stuck with a 50hp dry shot right? Crap gotta go to work and running late! Let me know what's up.

AMG
Old Feb 3, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe this work:
http://216.82.69.117/detail.asp?product_id=APEX-ITC
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Oh ok.. it seems I am the only one that is ready to spray as of now. I have a wet setup but there is no easy way to supply fuel without chopping the fuel line so I am going dry for now. I wont spray more than 50 shot on dry system. I am using NOS brand system, the jet I am using is actually 61.86 bhp.. which equates to roughly 50 to the wheels. NOS jets their stuff for whp also.

RRM has someone that supplies them with adapter harness for their piggyback, maybe we could hit them up? I forget the name of that place now. Now I know MIVEC changes valve timing but it doesnt mess with spark advance right? It is safer to run a 2 degree retard under 50 shot, but it should hold on stock timing if you run premium gas and maybe a little octane booster to be safe. On 75 we will definately need something to control our timing.

BTW:
This Greddy E-manage will or will not control timing?
Old Feb 6, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

i have a emange with profec E-01 preogrammer and apparently if u use the ignition harness itll fry the coils if u leave it to on without car running ro something on evo's not sure i fi wanna hook that up. i havent really played with timming in boost yet i just dumped more fuel
Old Feb 6, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Question

[QUOTE=Widebody Lancer]i have a emange with profec E-01 preogrammer and apparently if u use the ignition harness itll fry the coils if u leave it to on without car running ro something on evo's not sure i fi wanna hook that up.

I think they fixed that with an update. Either way unless you're boosting, why would you need to leave the car on after getting out, plus a turbo timer would take car of it. I think it was more an issue of run hard put away wet with the possibility of improperly grounded system. I haven't read any recent updates on the EVO side of the forums for some time now. Different note, are you controlling your MIVEC with the emanage? Have you had any problems with it if so? Thanks,

AMG
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

NO havent played with it yet didnt know you could, havent started car really yet im trying to find a way to retard timing in boost and im gonna try the ignition harness to some ppl it doesnt blow coils to some it does, apparently the update doesnt work for everyone, and apparently u can buy a box from greddy to solve the problem, im gonna buy the harness and try it and ground the hell out of the system and hop it works hehe

Thanks
Tory
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

If it were my car, I'd run 100 octane gas just to be safe. Knock is no joke.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

It's not knock killing the coils. It's some strange effect of not having a turbo timer or something. If you leave the key in the on position and the engine isn't running (on an evo at least) some guys coil packs were burning up. I haven't checked the evo section in awhile to see if anyone is still having the problem after Greddy's fix.
Anyone checked lately?

AMG
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

well apparently its cause the output signal of the emanage doesnt drop to ) V it holds at .3V which apparently is enough to trigger our MOSFET coil packs. this can be solved by usuing appropraite resistors to bring voltage below .1V so the coil hits the off state and doesnt stay on constintly dumping current...

Tory
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:07 PM

it's actually pretty simple to change the timing on our engine as long as you dont mind drilling the holes out on our timing sensor and then rotating it. you'll want a timing light to check your results. also the mivec can easily be temporarily disabled by unplugging it... but your ecu only has fuel mappings to 5000rpm without mivec engaged (which means 5k rev limit). when facing your engine you'll find the timing sensor on the right hand side just below the valve cover. also the part of the mivec that signals the ecu to switch timing/fuel mappings is just behind that with a molex that is easy to remove. sometimes i unplug it for road trips to get better mpg without having to stay below 75mph
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

yeah you can wobble out your timing sensor. so has anyone other than be sucussfully and safely ran a decent size shot of n2o on their ralliart?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, what a difference a year can make... I'm finally due for my 2nd oil change! So Mitsu, define decent size? I've dyno'd 50's and ran 75's w/ no problems. Seems PR Mivec is running over 100 but I'll let him speak for himself.