Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

N2o for sissys

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N2o for sissys

or people with other FI where adding nawz is too extreme....

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1

Uses compressed co2 (like in ur paintball gun) to cool the intake air/fuel at 3 points by up to 60%. Bushcar racing is backing it, so I think it must work. It also won the SEMA best new product award last year. Looks like it finally prime time!

in effect, its installed like n2o, but watered down and cheaper. easier to refill.

In theory, when co2 is compressed to liquid form, when released to the atmosphere, it expands until it becomes a gas, which causes it and anything around it to become VERY cold. Think of a co2 can that frosts up near the valve. by injecting into the intake stream at the air passage and fuel passage, u can drop ur intake temp by 60%. not bad if u ask me! a 80degree day becomes 35 degree day. running hot at 12lbs of boost is now more like 8lbs of boost. I like!

sure something comes up like this every few years and falls flat on its face, but i gotta hope this one is the real deal

what u think?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read up on this too....sounds like a good idea. Now, what are the costs like? Anybody?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

The cost is like 399 if you have a turbo car the extra 100 if form mounting hardware to the front mount. I saw it in summit magazine. I was thinking of getting it instead of nitro but I wanted to so hp increase numbers first.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

intresting stuff.....
the intake caught my attention and the fuel bar....
Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:32 PM

Ehh, it's an inert gas, so it's basically like shooting a fire extinguisher into your intake manifold. I guess in small quantities, the cooling effect might outweigh the smothering effect, but it's not something I would do. I'd still just stick with nitrous, but a smaller shot just to cool things off.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

if it's like the cryogen system then i would be skeptical, basically you are adding a 1-1/2 egg shaped container for the co2 to cool in the intake pipe. no co2 is used in the motor. i have read that they can loose hp because you are restricting you intake tube, say your intake is 3 inches then you a 1-1/2 egg inside of it? pretty obvious. the fuel bars are cool and intercooler sprayers, if you have turbo.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

its not cooling the pipe. those ideas are stupid. you get about a 2% drop in temps for 30lbs of gear....not worth it!

and its not injecting large amounts of co2. considering that the air already being sucked into the intake from the atmosphere is about 1/3 co2, and that after combustion, additional co2 is produced, which helps disipate heat out of the engine, i dont think a bit of co2 will hurt. since its being injected in liquid form and will expand quickly, it should raise the manifold pressure a bit as well, acting like mini-boost while cooling things down. seems like a win-win. Cant wait to see results! (on someone else's car /w someone else's cash)
Old Jun 14, 2005, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, seems like an interesting concept. I can't wait to see results if someone decides to do it.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

This is old news... Similar systems have been out for more than 2 years.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

CO2 will lessen your HP more than the cooling effect will add HP. Your engine needs oxygen, if you increase CO2 intake, you displace more oxygen and your combustion suffers. If you don't understand this, breathe in a paper bag until you pass out. That's how your engine feels.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

cold is good, but not always..... too much cold 'can' brake an engine yo need to know how to work w/ the fuel air ratio.. the only item that caught my atention was the fuel rail cooler.... cold fuel is allways good..... but air is negotiable.....
Old Jun 15, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by MiVecJohn
cold is good, but not always..... too much cold 'can' brake an engine yo need to know how to work w/ the fuel air ratio.. the only item that caught my atention was the fuel rail cooler.... cold fuel is allways good..... but air is negotiable.....
Please tell me you're kidding. Cold fuel is better than having cold air? I guess that's why all those turbo guys have intercoolers to cool their fuel lines and not their charge pipes, right? *sarcasm

I do agree with Dallas though, like I said before it's basically shotting a fire exinguisher into you manifold. Ever hear of a Co2 fire extinguisher?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

no im not kidding what i meant is that too much cold can damage the engine is just opinion on the base that anything in exess on a engine damages it.. besides are you turbo?
the setuop on the web site and inteke cooler before the turbo before the intecooler and after the intercooler and the spray.... that is an exageration and to be done (I GUESS) you should work with the air and fuel mix...

ever seen the efects of a co2 fire extinguisher on metal? it flakes ice... do you want ice on your engine?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

^^ he does have a point there....
Old Jun 15, 2005, 06:17 PM

And how much do you consider too cold? My intake temps sometimes reach -120 degrees. Haven't blown a motor yet. Obvioulsy, zero degreees Kelvin would be bad for a motor, but your generalizations just aren't true. Most factory ECM's are programed to run the motor rich enough to compensate for cold, dense air.