Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

5th injector Help.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th injector Help.

Hey to everyone, kinda new to the board.

im not stupid or a newbie when it comes to building an designing turbo upgrades an kits. i am however a newbie when it comes to the 5th injector idea, an i would like to be helped with this is possible. i used the search but never found much help. my goal would be the 200-250whp range. what PSI? i will be running i dont know as i am new to this cars layout. basicly, my wife wants more umph. as do i, untill i get my other car moved to where we are. my plans were to run a smaller t3/t4 so i get most of my power in the mid an upperrange.

an in my searches i've seen that alor of you guys in PR are running the 5th injector setups, an i would like some help in regrards to what the turbo guys are doing with this? what specs can you give me on your setups, an how exactly does this work, how are you controling the 5th injector to react to boost? or voltage etc?
Old May 27, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

ur wife wants more umph?? why not just buy the kit and u dont have to worry about it
Old May 27, 2006, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer running 4 injectors than 5... In our cars it’s about the same price for having a setup either with 4 or 5 injectors. Do you have a 5th injector controller?
Old May 27, 2006, 09:05 PM

I prefer running 4 injectors than 5... In our cars it’s about the same price for having a setup either with 4 or 5 injectors. Do you have a 5th injector controller?
Old May 28, 2006, 12:58 AM

i can get one if i want it. i know a few people. i prefer 4 as well, but im not really up for 4100US on a kit. 3600? maybe? plus i dont even got shipping in that yet lol. i can make it alot cheaper. i weld an do custom fabrication work for a living. little something that comes along with the autobody trade lol. i just havent seen anything i like in regards of the timing an fuel issues an the search button havent helped.
Old May 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

you wont get too much help, people on here like to keep that a secret so they can have an edge, and be able to market their kits. if you give me and hell_spawn sometime we will post the info on here. we are both making custom set ups with two different turbo's. we already have found a way to control the timing and fuel with just 4 injectors.
Old May 28, 2006, 07:58 PM

mmm ok, shr00mi@hotmail.com is my e-mail and msn. best bet to get a hold of me is e-mail. anyone an everyone with any info wanna e-mail it to me. maybe we can all cometogether an sort out some of this stuff an show everyone what can be done.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

just wanted to give props to those whom are making custom kits. Hats off to you guys
Old May 29, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by k3lv
just wanted to give props to those whom are making custom kits. Hats off to you guys
well someone has to do it lol!
Old May 30, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by k3lv
Thanks dude ... I just bought my Lancer ES Electric fuel pump
Old May 30, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

For the ones that want the info but have trouble looking for it...Here is a description of what this product does..
T-rush.
The AIC1 Additional Injector Controller provides precise fuel delivery over the boosted operating range of an internal combustion engine. It is designed for use with engines that have been converted to forced induction with the addition of turbochargers or superchargers. The AIC1 gives the user a convenient way to set the fuel mixture for proper air/fuel ratio in the boost region.

The AIC1 is a stand alone additional injector controller. It provides three dimensional mapping of additional fuel. Injector pulse width is loaded directly into cell locations on a map defined by boost pressure and RPM. Two independent maps can control up to four injectors. Map A can drive two low or high impedance injectors. Map B can drive two high impedance injectors.

The calibration of the AIC1 is done through a serial interface, which is active while in operation. The AIC1 is programmed with a Windows 95/98 program called R4. The software provides real time display of RPM, manifold pressure, injector on time and duty cycle in percent. A variety of editing tools ease the task of setting up an initial map and quickly fine tuning for optimum performance.

The AIC1 can be order in a variety of configurations. Refer to the ordering information section to see the combination of pressures sensors, number of injectors and injector types that are available. Both absolute and gauge pressure sensors are available. The absolute sensor can read both vacuum and pressure regions and is used to fire the injectors in the vacuum region or when elevation compensation is desired. A gauge pressure sensor reads in the boost region only. In some applications, the gauge pressure sensor can cause an excessively rich fuel mixture at high elevations.

The AIC1 is typically used in conjunction with a precision air/fuel ratio meter such as the Split Second ARM1. The air/fuel ratio meter provides the required information needed to properly set the AIC1 fuel program.

Features:

Stand alone device
Two three-dimensional map tables defined by boost pressure and RPM
Compatible with 2 and 4 stroke engines from 1 to 12 cylinders
Laptop adjustable
Programmed directly according to pulse width in milliseconds
Can be mounted in the engine compartment
Internal MAP sensor
Transient surge and battery reversal protection

Typical Connections:

Typical Wire Assignments:

LABEL CONNECT TO MAP TABLE WIRE COLOR
BATT+ Battery positive (+12V) Red
BATT- Battery negative (chassis ground) Black
INJA+ Injector plug positive (+12V) Red (2)
INJA- Injector plug negative (injector driver) A Tan (2)
INJB+ Injector plug positive (+12V) Red (2)
INJB- Injector plug negative (injector driver) B Tan/Black (2)
TACH Tach signal (pulses per rev = #cyl/2) Yellow/Black
F-DB9 Serial connector on computer ----

Software:

The AIC1 is programmed with the R4 Fuel Controller Software. When the software is launched an identification screen will appear that says Split Second. After four seconds, the maim menu will appear. If this is a new application, select File then New Customer to create a new customer. Type in the customer name and save. The default location for customer names is My Documents. When you return to the main screen, select File and Open Customer to open the customer file that you just created. Once the customer is open, the Maps, View, Options and Help tabs become active. Whenever you write new data to the AIC1, all settings and mapping will automatically be saved under the current customer name. You can fill in the various fields such as name, address etc. if you like.

Connections:

Select the proper com port for the serial connector on your computer. Remove the lid on the AIC1. Connect the AIC1 to the computer using a 9-pin serial cable. The cable must have a male plug on one end and a female on the other. Once the serial cable is plugged in and the AIC1 is powered up, you may connect to the AIC1 by selecting the Connect to ECU icon. Once communication has been established with the ECU, the Real Time pull down becomes active.

There are two map tables that can be used. Table A drives the injectors controlled by the Tan wires. These injectors can be either low or high impedance. Table B drives the injectors controlled by the Tan/Black wires. These can only be high impedance.

Programming:

Use the Options pull down and Engine Settings to select the number of cylinders of the engine. Use Options and System Settings to select Additional Injector Controller and the correct pressure reading. If you have a gauge pressure sensor, select gauge pressure. If you have an absolute sensor, select either absolute pressure or vacuum/pressure.

Use the Maps pull down to access the fuel map tables. The numbers entered into the cells on the map represent the injector on time in milliseconds. Whenever a cell is highlighted, the injector pulse width is shown in the upper left hand corner of the table.

You can click and drag to highlight an area of cells. Once highlighted, you can use the icons across the top of the window to fill all the selected cells with a value. For example, if you fill the selected cells with the value 10, whenever the manifold pressure and RPM match one of those cell locations, the injectors will be pulsed for 10 milliseconds.

A highlighted area of cells can also be changed by a percentage by using the Change By button. To increase a highlighted area of cells by 10 percent for example, select the cells, click on the Change By button and enter 10. To reduce by 50 percent, enter –50.

You can also fill a range of cells with values that are interpolated from the end points. This works over a row, column or 2-dimensional area. To fill values over a two dimensional area, fill the four corners of the area with cell values. Then click and drag to select the area encompassed by those corner cells. Click on the Auto Fill button. The software will calculate and fill the correct values for all highlighted cells.

If you are using table B as well as A, you will have to fill those values also. If you want to use the same values in tables A and B, you can copy and paste the data. Hit the Select All button while in the table you want to copy. Then press the Copy button. Go to the other map table and highlight the cell in the upper left hand corner of the table. Then press the Paste button.

Once the maps are set up, you can write to the ECU in the AIC1. To write to the ECU, the ignition must be on so that the AIC1 is powered up. The engine must be off so that tach pulses are not present during programming. To write to the ECU press the Write Data to the ECU button. The operation of writing the data will also save the configuration and map information in the current file that is open. You can also upload from the ECU using the Read Data From the ECU button. You can then save or modify the data.

Operation:

Once the data is loaded into the AIC1, the engine can be started. From the main screen, the Real Time pull down can be used to observe a variety of operating parameters. The All option brings up a window that displays boost pressure and RPM as well as pulse witch and duty cycle for both A and B injectors. The All window can be enlarged to full screen size to make it easy to read while working on the engine. The RPM and Pressure options display analog gauges that show those parameters. The All, RPM and Pressure options can all be displayed simultaneously.

Ordering Options:

Part Number Number of Injectors Injector Impedance MAP Sensor Type Map Tables Used
AIC1-A2H 2 High Absolute A
AIC1-A4H 4 High Absolute A and B
AIC1-G2H 2 High Gauge A
AIC1-G4H 4 High Gauge A and B
AIC1-A1L 1 Low Absolute A
AIC1-A2L 2 Low Absolute A
AIC1-G1L 1 Low Gauge A
AIC1-G2L 2 Low Gauge A

Electrical Characteristics:

PARAMETER CONDITIONS MIN TYP MAX UNITS
Supply Voltage BATT+ to BATT- 12 13.5 15 V
Supply Current Into BATT+ terminal 16 mA
Tach threshold Normal operation 1.6 V
Tach Hysteresis Normal operation 0.5 V
Boost Range On vacuum/boost hose 0 25.5 PSI
A Injector peak Initial sink current 4 A
A Injector hold Steady state sink current 1 A
B Injector limit Max current before shutdown 2 A

Mechanical Characteristics:

(dimensions in inches)
Old May 30, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

You can also get the Megasquirt system wich is a stand alone engine manegment system for about $420.00 fully assembled, wich can control up to 12 injectors (if needed) and, can also control Mivec and any other options you can think of, now the company has come out with a read-out screen called MegaView so you can mount anywhere in your dash and see what is going on with your engine. This is a very nice unit, i have bought one and will be installing it with my custom Turbo Kit as well.

here's the link

www.DYIAutotune.com

-Kevin