Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Knock Ecu Hack For Retarding Time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Ecu Hack For Retarding Time

THE QUESTION IS THIS
FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO KNOW IF OUR ENGINES HAVE A KNOCK SENSOR ?

IF THEY DO , WHEN THE ECU RECEIVES THE SIGNAL THAT A KNOCKING IS HAPPPENING ISN'T IT SUPPOSED TO RETARD TIMING AND ADD FUEL IN ORDER TO FIX THE KNOCKING. IF THIS IS TRUE WE CAN MAKE A DEVICE THAT EMULATES THIS SIGNAL SO THAT WE CAN ALSO RETARD THE TIMING A LITTLE.
oF COURSE SOME OF YOU MAY SAY BUT THEN HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF YOUR ENGINE IS KNOCKING BUT THEN I WILL KEEP ENGINE TEMPERATURES LOW AND RUN IN HIGH OCTANE FOR LOW TO MID BOOST APPLICATIONS.
EITHER WAY I AM GOING FOR A STANDALONE BUT ISN'T THIS WORTH A TRY FOR BUDGET SYSTEMS?
ALSO HOW MUCH TIMING RETARD DO WE GAIN BY DOING THE CAM SENSOR MOD (BY DRILLING IT)
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

please turn off caps lock. It doens't actually help any of us reading your frickin post.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Does it really makes you so unconfortable ? hehe )
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI, I'll delete any future posts made in all caps. I should delete this one, but I can't bring myself to be that much of an ***.

Using the cam sensor trick, you should be able to adjust by about +-3 degrees.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

you are only going to get as much fuel as the stock setup can provide, no matter what the ecu is asking for. I understand you are trying to go budget, but most people who have done custom setups have added a fifth injector to compensate for the needed fuel. I am no expert on turbo applications, so what, if anything, do you expect to gain from adding a little fuel and pulling timing with a knock sensor mod? From what I know and have read on here you are going to be asking for trouble.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migueralliart
Does it really makes you so unconfortable ? hehe )
"hehe" for all I care I could of just not posted what I did. Do you like reading in caps? Or is it just the fact you got lazy eyes disease? Learn.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ok first of all I am not going budget the purpose of asking is because I needed THE RETARD FUNCTION not the fuel one. For fuel I have a 5 th HKS injector controller connected to my wideband AFR and boost signal to maintain mixtures I was asking because of the advance that our Ecu automatically does when MIVEC turns on. CUrrently I am running on stock injectors turbonetics T3/T4 with Tial 38 mm wastegate and HKS BOV 2.5 " exhaust without CAT and wastegate to the atmosphere. TO control my fuel I already said I've got the HKS 5th injector and to control knocking I have a custom made water/alcohol injection kit. My current boost setting is 9 psi daily and 13 psi in the track (drag of course). I have never blown an engine and that is because I like to tune a LOT before going to the track. I wanted an extra safety 6- 12 degree retard so that I can run 16 psi on stock internals keeping it knock free.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

oh.

You can disable the mivec but redline at 5k, can you make enough power by then
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea to emulate a knock condition, especially if it involves disconnecting the knock sensor. Say you built an emulator that fakes enough knock to retard your timing 6 degrees. You turn up the boost enough to get real knock. Your knock sensor isn't hooked up anymore, so your ECU doesn't know the engine is knocking. It keeps boosting happily until *BOOM*. Welcome to your first blown engine.

You're better off slotting out the sensor as far as you can, and adding the 5th injector. Also consider increasing the size of the first four injectors. Just leave the knock sensor in the loop if you're boosting.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pa.. enviame un email... I can show you how you can retard timming on the ra engine its real easy.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:17 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hell_Spawn
Pa.. enviame un email... I can show you how you can retard timming on the ra engine its real easy.

Mera pa... Enviame un email a blankito350@msn.com , tell me how to retard my lancer ra timming because is turbo @ 10psi stock internals and after a month it just start to knock my engine.... I have evo9 fuel pump and fuel rail, malpassi 1:1fuel regulator and 450 blue subaru injectors....
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

The knock control strategy does not appear to add any fuel. Retarding the cam or crank signal causes the misfire detection to go off but you can get a few degrees out of it before causing problems. I will be able to address these problems with a reflash when we're done testing it.

-Michael