Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

little problem can't seem to fix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little problem can't seem to fix

Just wanted to know if anyone else with turbo, has had any problems with your cars pretty much shutting down, and not letting you rev the car past 2k rpms while driving. This usual happens if i'm trying to pass someone on the highway and the rpms get up around 5k, or just driving with gas to floor for a few seconds. It sucks having to pull over and unplug the throttle position sensor everytime it happens. need help!!! not fun having boost if you can't use it. My mechanic is kinda stumped right now with what the problem could be, and we already changed the TPS. any input would be appriciated.

thanks,
jack
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:53 PM

might have a boost leak..check all of your piping!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
It's called boost cut. You need a reflash.
Thats not good since thier is no reflash for us. I would phone RRM since they may know what the problem is since they designed the piggyback with splitsec assuming your still using that.

Might be your custom exhaust? I know Ralliart_on_ LSD was saying he was getting boost of 9.5 PSI because of his exhaust.

Last edited by AdamRA; Feb 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

you could tune it using a safc, you can control air and fuel but not timing.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that only happened to me ONCE and it was a fluke and i cant explain what happened or why...

i was driving down the pike doing bout 70 in fifth gear. Just cruising, not accelerated or anything, just cruising home from work listening to the radio. All of a sudded i kinda hear my rpms dip down.... my speedometer spikes to 0 mph, and the cars idle's down, goes to 1,000 rpms for about 1 second.... than everything shoots back up to normal and im cruising at 70 mph again, as if nothing happened.

that has only happened to me once, and i had NO PROBLEM AT ALL other than that. it was just a fluke...

and about my exhaust making my turbo spool to 9.5psi... i think that is cuz turbo's work on exhaust gasses, a bigger exhaust pipe means less back pressure, means turbo has to work less, which means it can "breathe better" giveing me more psi.... the only bad thing is its tuned for 7psi and anything more than 10.5 is unsafe for the motor... so im pushing borderline right now....

but the exhaust dont have anything to do with the car "dying" like that. And my lil incident was just a fluke, only happened once and i dont know why.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
and about my exhaust making my turbo spool to 9.5psi... i think that is cuz turbo's work on exhaust gasses, a bigger exhaust pipe means less back pressure, means turbo has to work less, which means it can "breathe better" giveing me more psi.... the only bad thing is its tuned for 7psi and anything more than 10.5 is unsafe for the motor... so im pushing borderline right now....

but the exhaust dont have anything to do with the car "dying" like that. And my lil incident was just a fluke, only happened once and i dont know why.
Well he says it doesn't actually shut off it just won't let him go past 2000rpm which means the ECU is seeing something unsafe just thought it might be too much boost....
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

o... yea i dont know what the problem is, just explaining the problem i had. Not exactly the same situation.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

That happen to me once I over rev then the car just didn't want to pass 2rpms. I check the Turbo piping no problem. The car sounded like it had high lift cams.
I call Ray ( turbo kit installer) He told me it probly went to limp mode to reset the ecu by taking the neg battery cable out let it sit for a min or 2 then reconnect. Let the car idle for 15min then drive like a grandmother for another 20min, the car was fine after that.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I In the process of installed the LSD and flywheel. I guess im gonna reset the ecu by unplugging the batter for 15 min. than let it idle for 20 and so on so forth.... You think Thats a good idea with my turbo piggyback?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

If you had a problem yes. But if you car was running fine no need.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rallilanc
Just wanted to know if anyone else with turbo, has had any problems with your cars pretty much shutting down, and not letting you rev the car past 2k rpms while driving. This usual happens if i'm trying to pass someone on the highway and the rpms get up around 5k, or just driving with gas to floor for a few seconds. It sucks having to pull over and unplug the throttle position sensor everytime it happens. need help!!! not fun having boost if you can't use it. My mechanic is kinda stumped right now with what the problem could be, and we already changed the TPS. any input would be appriciated.

thanks,
jack
You need to call RRM asap. They know what that is and can help resolve that issue. Just lay off boosting until you talk with them and get it worked out. Just be safe as something isn't right if that's happening.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Our motors can only take 10.5 pounds of boost before its unsafe?

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
the only bad thing is its tuned for 7psi and anything more than 10.5 is unsafe for the motor... so im pushing borderline right now.... .
Old Feb 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well i dont know the limit of the stock internals, but i really dont want to push it past 11 psi. Dont know what our engine can take. so 10.5 is the highest i'll go with stock internals, no matter what fuel im tuned for.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

i reset the ecu yesterday, and tested it out today and it still had the same problem.

and Boe i tried telling rob about this problem before and he said he didn't know what it was. i really haven't been in boost too much except for testing the car out today.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rallilanc

thanks,
jack
does the engine rpm fluctuate or not allow you to drive at all????

Quick Reply: little problem can't seem to fix