Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Blown turbo gasket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown turbo gasket?

as i was driving home from work yesterday not boosting, slow driving, i noticed lots of smoke coming out of the dumpipe and the exaust and when i got home noticed i was low on oil and it sounded like boiling water with the motor shut off. where do i get a new seal, or kit and how hard is it to install? that is if thats the problem.

im worried now and had an appt for a tune in 2 weeks,,damn,,,i got bad luck
i have the rrm 16g kit.\
and resources would be appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

the problems of boost..i know how that feels
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

if theres smoke coming out of your exhaust doesnt that mean blown turbo?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPOOLED IX MR
if theres smoke coming out of your exhaust doesnt that mean blown turbo?
it can be the seals are messed up, pinch in your oil return line etc.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

your oil return line is probably backing up into the turbo. the wastegate blowing back into the engine bay is another problem with the RRM kit. both of these are easy fixes, both have shown up on here. I would check your oil return before you cause any more problems, hopefully it's just started so your seals are still good
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

resources: k3lv, geardownson, ROCK

the first two guys installed RRM's kit and worked out the bugs themselves. ROCK is RRM on evom.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:04 PM

fixed

i found the problem, pinched oil return line,,revamped it and all is well there. now i have another problem, i got a check engine light after returning it to normal, code 0171 and it means running to lean. im not sure how this is. and my afr at idle is around 18-19 instead of 14.7, im worried now. i wonder if the sensor is jsut fowled because of the oil blowing by the sensor, or is there amybe something wrong? i hope i fix it soon though as im going for a tune next week and a dyno, i will be posting after.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, try cleaning the MAF sensor with some electronics cleaner. it sounds like it's not reading the correct amount of air.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:08 AM

Check the airfilter on the charge pipe. The one that comes with the RRM kit has a metal cap in the middle. Mine had fallen off and I ended up with a CEL. Can't recall the code off-hand but it had to do with unmetered air. Once I saw the problem I just replaced the airfilter with a new one I bought from a local performance store and the CEL went away after about 30 kms.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:32 AM

sux
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:04 PM

WEll i fixed the problem but it happened again even though i fixed the oil return line, this time i lost 4 litres in a matter of an hour, im lost, no idea what to do, is the turbo maybe gone . or is this all jsut from the cold weather? its -40celcius here and has been for a while. i also have a vaccum leak, on the dyno the guy said i am reading 7 pounds of vaccum at idle and i guss it should be at around 20lbs, i already ripped everything apart twice and still cant find the problem, i sprayed break cleaner over everything and still couldnt fin a vaccum leak. any tips hints or help please. Im ready to part it out and buy a honda.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:22 AM

If you want to find a boost leak there are threads on here that will tell you how or give you links to "how to's" to make you own boost leak gauge. One website even sell a boost leak gauge. Search and you'll find it and if not I will see if I can dig it up this weekend.

You said you went to the Dyno, what were you results?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

You lost 4 litres of oil? That's serious **** buddy. You would be able to see where from it's leaking.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 07:14 PM

yea the oil is coming from the exaust side of the turbo into the exaust. Im going to do a boost leak test,,im leaking somewhere for sure cause on the dyno the guy said i was only showing 7 psi of vaccum at idle, so either the sensor is fouled or theres a big leak somewhere, im more worried about the oil though, its weird cause after i fixed it the first time there was no problems for aweek and now problems again, and worse, the oil was also coming out near the ring that joins the exaust n intake side of the turbo.. Im sick of it, im gonna rip it apart wednesday and try one last time , if it dont work, then im parting out . I hope the last kick at the can will work, any other tips are very welcomed, anything at all, im beyond desperate now
Old Feb 9, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Check the intercooler the oil is going somewhere.... My guess would be that the seals are gone.

Quick Reply: Blown turbo gasket?