Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Trying to finish rrm turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

UPDATE: Car is now running.

I did all the checks, the test drive per RRMs orders, as well as waxed, polished, and debadged him. (sorry bad picture)

Only thing now is that there are lots of oil leaks and after just a few minutes of the car idling lots of smoke from that oil burning off the manifold occurs...

i have some questions as far as securing the oil lines to stop the leaking.

1) should i put the gasket sealant around the banjo bolt, because it looks like there is a small leak there?

2) The majority of the oil seams to be coming from the gap in between the exhaust and intake manifolds of the turbo, what's the best way to seal that?

3)but, did anyone else have lots of trouble with the two Allen bolts connecting the intake side of the turbo to the first IC pipe (on the intercooler side, the one underneath the entire setup)? It feels like the allen bolts are two long for their perspective holes?

4) Does taking the cat back off really produce THAT much smoke from the exhaust? i mean, i knew there would be some extra carbon monoxide, but nothing of this extent

Muchas Gracias
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:13 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post up some YouTube vids....
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:52 PM

it depends on the air/fuel ratio...if you have a wideband you can check on that...maybe the rrm initial set up is kind of rick...if the smoke is black its fine it means too much fuel...but if it is white it is either the weather is cold or oil burning on the exhaust area of the turbine...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:50 PM

It's white smoke, and I live in Arizona so it's not cold weather.

The cool thing is I don't need an air fuel meter cuz I can just plug a computer into RRMs piggyback

I'm not at home right now and am busy for the rest of the week, so I'll have vies up on the weekend.

I guess my big question is since I clocked my turbo, how do I secure it to stop the oil leaking?

That was like 4 topics in 30 seconds!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:52 PM

I'll have vids* up by the weekend
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:57 PM

Ok. Smoke is all gone. I ended up taking off the CEL eliminator and that changed the air fuel ratio enough to stop the smog behind me (just a guess, as far as I know, it was magic). I also dont have a CEL light on, either, so it's a win win. Only problem now is what sounds to be an exhaust leak from the manifold gasket. Gonna check it out an maybe replace it or use sealant

I'll get vids up soon, I promise.

P.S. anyone who wants to make their RA sound like a Saleen mustang, just combine the RRM turbo with QTPs exhaust cutout. Oh my god it's heaven haha.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:39 AM

nevermind, CEL came on last night. Got stuck with a rev limiter at 200rpms, and then the car died and wouldnt start for 30 mins. after a while it could get it started and had to crawl home to finish the test drive.

Before it died it would dip into 200 rpms at idle,
any ideas?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xalos
nevermind, CEL came on last night. Got stuck with a rev limiter at 200rpms, and then the car died and wouldnt start for 30 mins. after a while it could get it started and had to crawl home to finish the test drive.

Before it died it would dip into 200 rpms at idle,
any ideas?
When you say got stuck you mean it would only rev up to 200 rpms correct? Or do you mean 2k? Some of you symptoms sound familiar from when i first installed mine. Where is the exhaust leak at?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:58 PM

oh yeah, it was 2k not 200 rpms. it wasnt a rev limiter, it was literally stuck at 2k, gradually decreasing over like 5 mins.

the exhaust leak was a manifold gasket, i think i fixed it today.

I got an ODB2 because the RA died right outside a PepBoys (luckily) and the codes that came up were: Fuel ratio was too rich, Cat readings were off, and a fuel line pressure problem.

as far as i know those are all fixed except for the cat readings (i dont wanna put on the CEL eleminator because it wasted a lot of fuel and caused the manifold to smoke)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:56 PM

dang this makes me want the rrm kit so bad! looks good. cant wait to see some vids!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:49 PM

ok, so everything is all working...bumper is on, waxed him again...except there is one smalll problem.

i tried driving around, but the fuel line keeps coming undone where it's connected to the fuel pump.

there are points when driving where if i just barely press on the throttle and the car starts to die, going down to around 150 or 200 revs.

how did you secure the fuel line so that the pressure stays constant?

please help, im at school and i'm not sure if i can make it home haha
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xalos
The cool thing is I don't need an air fuel meter cuz I can just plug a computer into RRMs piggyback
So their "piggyback" has an wbo2 sensor then?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
So their "piggyback" has an wbo2 sensor then?

I wish i could tell you, but everytime ive tried pluging my computer into the piggyback it starts spazzing out. The mouse jumps everywhere and clicks on random things!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Let me give you a little hint... The piggyback has no way of measuring AFR without a wbo2 sensor, and I'm guessing it doesn't have one. So if you are changing values labeled as AFR, they aren't your actual air fuel ratio.

If you want to have an at least halfway decent tune, you will need need to measure your actual AFR with a sensor somehow.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Let me give you a little hint... The piggyback has no way of measuring AFR without a wbo2 sensor, and I'm guessing it doesn't have one. So if you are changing values labeled as AFR, they aren't your actual air fuel ratio.

If you want to have an at least halfway decent tune, you will need need to measure your actual AFR with a sensor somehow.
This

Quick Reply: Trying to finish rrm turbo