Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016 | 09:03 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

No, no oil in the LICP, just a fine coating of soot.
Old May 11, 2016 | 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

there shouldn't really be soot in there...do you vent your crankcase into the intake?
Old May 11, 2016 | 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, yes I do...

Old May 12, 2016 | 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Ah, yes I do...

ok, so you will get a little bit of oil in the intake, I run mine the same way. looking at the picture in the previous post, i'm not sure, but there may be a seal, o-ring or gasket on the center section of the turbo, that could be leaking.
Old May 12, 2016 | 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

What model turbo is that Gary?

EDIT:: Nevermind I found it earlier in the thread. Trying to look up info on that turbo to see what that could be. Have you checked for any shaft play yet? Just trying to rule stuff out. That location is odd though...

EDIT #2:: Ok so from what I am seeing on Honda-Tech and from other pictures is that this appears to be a drainage issue. Everyone that has a 45* or less angle coming out of the turbo is fine. The ones where there is a 90* or greater fitting appear to develop this problem. I cant tell from the picture. What is the diameter of your drain? Do you think that could be the issue? Oil pressure also plays a factor here too so perhaps when mivec spikes the oil pressure its putting extra strain at that bend?

Last edited by bakuro117; May 12, 2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old May 12, 2016 | 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
What model turbo is that Gary?

EDIT:: Nevermind I found it earlier in the thread. Trying to look up info on that turbo to see what that could be. Have you checked for any shaft play yet? Just trying to rule stuff out. That location is odd though...

EDIT #2:: Ok so from what I am seeing on Honda-Tech and from other pictures is that this appears to be a drainage issue. Everyone that has a 45* or less angle coming out of the turbo is fine. The ones where there is a 90* or greater fitting appear to develop this problem. I cant tell from the picture. What is the diameter of your drain? Do you think that could be the issue? Oil pressure also plays a factor here too so perhaps when mivec spikes the oil pressure its putting extra strain at that bend?
Josh, you're spot on, I mentioned it earlier that it could be an oil scavenge issue, but I just looked at the pic again and realized that his oil scavenge looks like it is going uphill into the pan...the only solution I can think of, is getting a flange that has a 90 degree AN fitting right on it, so at at least comes straight across...
Old May 12, 2016 | 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

No shaft play, and I tried to take the picture of the oil drain to represent its true angle, but it was difficult. This has been an issue ever since Pro-Fab installed it and I've tweaked it the best I can to create a downhill run.

Here's what I found / did:

There appears to be a large O-Ring between the compressor housing and the bearing housing:

There are bolts that fasten the compressor cover to the bearing housing. This bolt was loose so I tightened it:

After racing yesterday I checked my undercarriage and that leak appears to have stopped. Everything else appears to be solid so far as well...except for the mimimal dried mud from the infield...uhem!
Old May 12, 2016 | 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Facebook Post

Last edited by truthdweller; May 12, 2016 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Resurrected RA (May 27, 2016)
Old May 12, 2016 | 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

After spinning out on that last lap, I decided to pit and call it a day. When I parked my car and start checking for any damage an elderly man approached me and by his body language I felt I was in the "principal's office." I was turning the video off on the phone as well and he said, "Is this your car?" I said, "Yes it is." He replied, "I'll wait until you turn the video off." Ruh, roh!

He began by introducing himself as the track manager and that he was informed by radio that I was "drifting" out on the track, and that drifting was not tolerated. I looked at him in the eyes and told him, I don't think I know how to drift in this FWD AT!" He said, "Well apparently that's what you were doing out on the track." I went on to explain to him that I had recently learned how to correct an oversteer in a front wheel drive car by accelerating and that's what I was doing. He then looked at my car and said, "Oh, you have no power to your back wheels so you're back end is loose I take it?" I said, "Yes sir!" I went on to add that everything was going well until my last try on turn one where I ended up off the track in the mud. He then changed gears and said, "If you really want to see a spectacle, come back in a couple of weeks to the ARCA event were having and watch NASCAR, three cars wide hit turn #1 and all the photographers lined up outside the wall vying for the shot!" I think I became his friend...

Last edited by truthdweller; May 12, 2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old May 13, 2016 | 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I always hate getting in trouble by those type of guys...

Had a safety guy at an AutoX pretty much tell me not to come back unless I changed my exhaust. I had a catless midpipe put on my car the day before race day. I knew it sounded bad but it wasnt as loud as half the cars there. But the guy picks me out of the crowd to say that my car was "too loud". Yet he said nothing to the open header Cobra, the catless-fart-canned civics, or straight piped 240's. But I agreed with him that it sounded pretty bad, and I already had plans to change the exhaust to tone it down some.

But he then proceeded to insult me my saying my car doesnt need to be catless cause I drive a FWD AT non-turbo'd car, and "who are you gunna beat in that." I dont take well to those sort of snide insults. So I said, "hmm... well... Im beating your miata. Im beating the turbo'd 5speed SRT4 behind me. Im a quarter of a second away from the guy who was my instructor the previous day in his Focus ST. So I think my FWD AT is doing pretty well all things considered." He gave me a funny look and walked away.
Old May 14, 2016 | 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I just realized by listening to the end of the video that you can hear the "track manager" say, "Tell me when the video is off" lol!

The two months I attended last season were the opposite of "getting in trouble" but rather an opportunity to ask lots of questions and get educated by your group instructor, Tom O'Gorman to be specific. As a FWD competitor, he was a wealth of information! As a Novice (I changed from Intermediate to Novice), whenever you get two or four wheels off the track, the flaggers are supposed to automatically point a black flag at you to pit, and meet with your instructor for one-on-one instruction. I did not get a black flag, but when I saw the gentleman, this is what I was anticipating, even though he wasn't my instructor. The rest is history.

Last edited by truthdweller; May 14, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 19, 2016 | 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Way to go truth, get some Rain X and keep off the paint when the track is wet.
Old May 19, 2016 | 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Way to go truth...keep off the paint when the track is wet.
The instructor said the same thing! I was living kinda on the edge in the rain, not really knowing how the car was going to respond once letting off the gas and initiating the turn. This was trouble for me in the past so, i was trying to stay on the gas yet, left foot braking (feeling somewhat confident with this now), initiating the turn, then off the brake before the back end cut loose. As you saw, I didn't quite get that down, but rather accelerated to get the back end to follow me..."drifting" as the flaggers were accusing me of doing, lol!

RainX to enable keeping the wipers off?

Last edited by truthdweller; May 20, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 20, 2016 | 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Truth, there is something called lift off oversteer which as you've discovered enhances rotation on turn in, also another technique that enhances rotation on turn in is trailing the brakes on turn in. Basically it sounds like you're progressing well, I envy you in that I remember the tremendous fun I had learning those techniques. You're learning them on the track, I learnt them doing pizza delivery lol .

Rain X allows the wipers to be off, it greatly improves visibility and is so fantastic that I feel a little uncomfortable driving in the rain without it.
Old May 20, 2016 | 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

You're learning them on the track, I learnt them doing pizza delivery lol .
I can hear you out on my street now, lol!

Rain X allows the wipers to be off, it greatly improves visibility and is so fantastic that I feel a little uncomfortable driving in the rain without it.
Excellent! I just signed up for two events, Track Night 2016: Pocono - June 14, and, Track Night 2016: New Jersey - June 22, so I'll be sure to bring some.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build