Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017 | 08:33 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I would be extremely interested to know what belt they use...
HKS Kevlar... Expensive, but obviously worth it.

Old Jan 28, 2017 | 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I was not aware HKS made Kevlar belts for SOHC
Old Jan 28, 2017 | 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I was not aware HKS made Kevlar belts for SOHC
Ooops, my error...a REINFORCED HKS belt will be used! Sorry, I assumed incorrectly...smh. Although Garrett, I can't find our belt in HKS either...???

I didn't get a chance to take pictures today... Maybe Monday?
Old Jan 29, 2017 | 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Gary, long time. So sorry to see this happened. Hope all works out. Keep us updated.
Old Jan 29, 2017 | 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to see. Why not use OEM Mitsu parts? Go to 4:40 in this video and play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VyXb12MBA
Old Jan 30, 2017 | 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, so sorry to read this! I feel bad for you, and I'm worried about the Gates belt that I just had installed, too!

I follow this thread, but actually came on here today since I had a non-start with Sportback yesterday. I'm aware of the discussions about the problems with the starter relay system, as well as the ignition switch. I took the cover off of my ignition column to check out the switch the first time this happened, and my switch was different than the evo switches. It has more than one screw, and no way to loosen up. I'll pull the relay and reinstall it. I did that two years ago when I first had this occur, and it didn't give me any trouble until yesterday...
Old Jan 30, 2017 | 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I keep telling people not to use them...
Old Feb 2, 2017 | 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Sorry to see. Why not use OEM Mitsu parts? Go to 4:40 in this video and play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VyXb12MBA
Good point...My response would have to be:

1. I didn't do the timing belt install, but rather put my faith in an experienced automechanic/hotrod enthusiast whom knew my car had been modified with forced induction.

2. If I use the OEM belt for this vehicle, is it manufactured for a turbocharged vehicle such as the EVOS are? If not, will an Evo belt fit the 4g69?

Btw Garrett, yes HKS does make a belt for the 4g69. I called a rep to confirm this, which he did, but he had to refer to a spec sheet to answer whether or not their belts were actually "Kevlar" or not. He said he wasn't seeing anything referencing Kevlar for our belt, but that they were "reinforced." Here's from their USA website on the HKS Fine Tune Timing Belt (http://www.hksusa.com/2jz-gte-fine-t...e1486083583451):

●Performance is in comparison to a general stock belt.
(There may be differences depending on application.)
Heat resistance: 4 times greater
Rib load strength: 3 times greater
Rib longevity: 4.5 times greater
Shear resistance: 4 times greater

Last edited by truthdweller; Feb 3, 2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2017 | 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Went to the shop yesterday and found my car outside in the elements, disassembled parts in the back, with the head off:

Old Feb 3, 2017 | 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

The head is in the garage. Angel came out and began to educate/show me on what the damage was, ie; the scoring on the valves and how they don't seat properly. Honestly, I didn't see any GROSS visible damage, and couldn't really say whether or not the valves seated properly without manually turning the crank. Anyhow, the parts are "on order" and are"hopefully arriving" today. It hurts to see all this, smh"

Old Feb 3, 2017 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

well, I would hope they'd have checked the compression before pulling the head, but a valve job won't hurt
Old Feb 3, 2017 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

well, I would hope they'd have checked the compression before pulling the head, but a valve job won't hurt
Question: I was chasing what I figured to be an exhaust leak prior to this failure but couldn't find it. Can u think of anything associated or leading up to this failure that would cause my AFR's to lean out? It wasn't profound but instead of between 14-15 at idle, it was 15-16. All my connections appear to be tight.
Old Feb 5, 2017 | 06:33 AM

i just read this thread start to finish, was never really a massive wagon fan until this. great work man, what a mad unique ride.

originally came here searching for 4G69 reflash info and couldnt stop reading

i myself am a mechanic and haven't personally heard about this gates issue. most shops here use a dayco belt. cant normally... go wrong with geunine parts.
wanting to take my cover off now and check as it was done previous to my ownership

i can however confirm that judging from the pics those valves would be ruined. can see carbon scraped off of the edge of the valves and pistons in some places, any contact at all will cause major damage to the valves. pistons should be fine...."SHOULD"
im really hoping you take my advice and go forged pistons however
Old Feb 5, 2017 | 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XxOLIVERxX
i just read this thread start to finish, was never really a massive wagon fan until this. great work man, what a mad unique ride.

originally came here searching for 4G69 reflash info and couldnt stop reading

i myself am a mechanic and haven't personally heard about this gates issue. most shops here use a dayco belt. cant normally... go wrong with geunine parts.
wanting to take my cover off now and check as it was done previous to my ownership

i can however confirm that judging from the pics those valves would be ruined. can see carbon scraped off of the edge of the valves and pistons in some places, any contact at all will cause major damage to the valves. pistons should be fine...."SHOULD"
im really hoping you take my advice and go forged pistons however
​​​​​​
This is why I prefer evom.net, because those that know what they're talking about frequent this site. Thanks for the input, good stuff.

As far as the forged pistons, I'm relying on many that have done the same to their 4g69's, staying within the engines whp of 10% of its volume, which would be ~240whp (2400 ÷ 10 = 240). This figure came from a prominent Russian enthusiast that has participated in this forum in the past and crunched some numbers. Keeping boost below at or below 12 psi seems to be the ticket to keep the pistons safe. User Cranswick can chime in here and share his own experience/experiment (lol) on this.

Again, it's awesome to hear your professional advice and that you actually read the WHOLE thread, lol?!
Old Feb 5, 2017 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Question: I was chasing what I figured to be an exhaust leak prior to this failure but couldn't find it. Can u think of anything associated or leading up to this failure that would cause my AFR's to lean out? It wasn't profound but instead of between 14-15 at idle, it was 15-16. All my connections appear to be tight.
15-16 at idle is ok...

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build