Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012 | 07:06 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Garrett,

Do you have a decent picture of how you routed your IC pipe to your TB?
Old Dec 27, 2012 | 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Garrett,

Do you have a decent picture of how you routed your IC pipe to your TB?
sort of...

these are the two pipes that make the "upper" intercooler pipe, they go from the intercooler to the throttle body, an HPS long leg 90 degree coupler joins them together.

And here's how they are routed.

Old Dec 29, 2012 | 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, now, could you post (if you have) the other end of the IC and the pipe routing?
Old Dec 29, 2012 | 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think I mentioned this before but your upper intercooler piping won't be able to route the same way as crans. you'll need to relocate the coolant overflow tank and bring the piping up from there.
Old Dec 29, 2012 | 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

yes bakuro I'm familiar, thanks, I'm asking to get visuals is all.
Old Dec 30, 2012 | 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, now, could you post (if you have) the other end of the IC and the pipe routing?
this is how it is set up, though this was taken prior to welding...i used an internal wastegate, so the compressor outlet exits on top of the turbo, so i had to go around and down like a front mount intercooler kit for DSM.

this is the lower IC pipe.

this is i pic of how it's installed

Old Dec 30, 2012 | 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Correct me of I'm wrong, but you clocked your compressor 180° because you had a clearance issue with the internal WG, but with Hack's manifold it'll drop the turbo down enough to provide clearance, enabling keeping the compressor nozzle pointing down and forward.
Old Dec 30, 2012 | 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I think with Hacks manifold wg would be on the radiator side..could be wrong but was thinkin that cause his manifold is flanged for a different style turbo.
Old Dec 30, 2012 | 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

i did not clock the compressor, remember if you clock the compressor, you can no longer use the internal wastegate without some fancy custom bracket...i used a DSM turbo, the setup is the same as the early lancer evolutions, the transmission is on the passenger side, so the turbo faces the other way, so with DSM turbo, it puts the wastegate actuator between the turbo and the starter motor heat shield as you see in the picture, usually the actuator would be on the rad side.

Yes, hack's manifold sits the turbo a bit lower than mine, and i believe closer to the passenger side, so the compressor housing sits in between the stock fans. i used an OEM 02 housing, so i was very limited with my side to side clearances between the AC compressor bracket and the rad fan.
Old Dec 30, 2012 | 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

That's right, the actuator bar needs to be on the same side so as to control the WG inside the turbine housing.

"I think with Hacks manifold wg would be on the radiator side..could be wrong but was thinkin that cause his manifold is flanged for a different style turbo."

This is addressed in earlier threads but I'll catch you up to speed: Hack's manifold, that I'll be using, is fabricated for a internal WG, T3/T04b turbo, who's compressor nozzle faces the radiator.

Where I was getting myself all confused was thinking that the lower IC pipe attached from the compressor nozzle, to the IC on the driver side, and the upper IC pipe ran from the IC on the passenger side, up and over the manifold, bending around the valve cover, to the TB. If this configuration could work, there wouldn't be the need to route a pipe up through where the overflow reservoir sits. I'm being told though that there isn't enough room between the alternator and manifold for this.

Last edited by truthdweller; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012 | 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

with a turbo bolted the the motor, there's no room to bring any piping up from the passenger side of the intercooler.
Old Dec 31, 2012 | 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

yes bakuro I'm familiar, thanks, I'm asking to get visuals is all.
I figured you did. Just wanted to remind you in case you were mocking something up. Carry on.

Here is something Ive thought about before. Forward facing turbo. Get a half sized radiator, the dual pass ones. And rotate your turbo so the inlet faces out the front of the grill. You'll need a custom exhaust manifold though. But it might free you up a bit of room where the turbo sits and possibly give you a few more piping options. Just a thought, may be worth looking into.
Old Dec 31, 2012 | 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

then you can't run an air filter, or a MAF and you risk injesting road dust/dirt and damaging the compressor....forward facing is normally for high power drag setups running speed density...for tuning the 4G69 the MAF sensor needs a bit of a straight run to meter the air properly before it enters the compressor inlet...

now that i'm thinking about it a T3 or evo 8/9 turbo would be better as the compressor outlet points downward even with the internal wastegate actuator connected. with the DSM style turbo it's still possible to run a "j-pipe" down and around the turbo, and there's room for it, but for simplicity of the charge pipe, it would be better if it was already facing downward...I like the DSM style because they are OEM, watercooled mitsubishi turbos and are more common and easy to get for rock bottom prices...i got 2 14b's, a spare hotside and O2 housing with my big 16g with actuator for $250. one of the 14b's is shot, the other would make a good backup, and the 16g has no shaft play at all...
Old Jan 10, 2013 | 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

After fitting the IC and seeing that there is plenty of room behind it, the weather motivated me to move the tranny cooler to the front where it should be, instead of in front of the driver side wheel well. I used the bolt holes for those rolling pin-like counterweights to secure the bottom, and bent up a small bracket to secure the top:

Old Jan 10, 2013 | 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

looks good! that CF lip is lookin fancy too!

Id fashion that black insert back in there somehow in the mean time tho... Just my .02

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build