Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013 | 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Hackish has intercooler piping? I got my tune on Monday it's awesome I love the launch control
Old Feb 24, 2013 | 06:47 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Truth , I was starting to wonder about your thread , but 20f is plenty of a reason to hold off. So your getting the intercooler piping kit and manifold/downpipe? This is a one off run or from hacks original?

Racerx , what rpm do you have your launch control set for?
Old Feb 24, 2013 | 08:26 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Truth , I was starting to wonder about your thread , but 20f is plenty of a reason to hold off. So your getting the intercooler piping kit and manifold/downpipe? This is a one off run or from hacks original?

Hack has most of the original piping from his kit, less the downpipe, for the manifold is for an internal WG turbo, and the upper IC pipe will have to be modified to fit my AT. The downpipe should, therefore, be pretty straight forward.

Speaking of tunes, hack has played with my shift points / throttle angle, and with the 7200 rpm rev limit I'm logging 1.30 sec's faster than before! I'm finding that the extra rpms isn't beneficial in first gear but creates extra power in second and third. This thing is going to be a rocket when turboed!

Last edited by truthdweller; Feb 24, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013 | 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up two more spacers today, and the high was 51(F) so I got busy again...

Two inches lower requires me to trim more from the bottom of the front clip. Maybe Garrett's 120mm bolts are the better fit? After seeing how this lays, I'm wondering if an IC with more front surface area would be better, for when the front clip is back on, the bottom of the IC is covered? Anyhow, I know I need the manifold, turbo and piping installed to ultimately determine how everything is going to lay.

Last edited by truthdweller; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

remember, mine it mounted closer to the radiator, yours is bolted to the crash bar, mine is not, it's bolted to the 'more flimsy' bar behind it, and rest up under the crash bar...
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
remember, mine it mounted closer to the radiator, yours is bolted to the crash bar, mine is not, it's bolted to the 'more flimsy' bar behind it, and rest up under the crash bar...

Yep, I recall...it's the heighth that I'm trying to dial in, so when the IC pipes wrap around they can clear under the fog light bezels that are cut in the front clip. Otherwise, I'll have to cut those away as well. I'm just trying to accomplish some tasks now that WILL pop up and slow me down when I start the final assembly.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Racerx , what rpm do you have your launch control set for?
Hey sorry for late reply it's set at 3k rpms.. I have just the stock NA tune it is not tuned for the upgrades on my car hack wants me to put the injectors and map sensor on before he makes one exact for my RA. But I need to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested before I put them on.. I should prolly start my build thread now huh

I was wondering has anybody tried using abs plastic for turbo? The plastic wont absorb heat like the aluminum will but I don't think it will hold up to pressure

Last edited by RacerX-Ralliart; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

I had a guy stop me today and asked the same thing, whether I was going to use polymer for my charge piping, as the flex from the engine, etc, had a tendency to crack the piping and/or pop coupling joints. Maybe Brent can elaborate on this. Air turbulence is a concern I've been told.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure about turbulence my guess is as long as the air flows as smooth as possible. You want to keep in incoming air as cool as possible. Here is a pic of my friends car, he wrapped the intake pipe from the outlet to inter-cooler. He claims there is a AIT difference.

Cant find the originol picture but here is a Facebook link to the before picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Feb 25, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Hack has most of the original piping from his kit, less the downpipe, for the manifold is for an internal WG turbo, and the upper IC pipe will have to be modified to fit my AT. The downpipe should, therefore, be pretty straight forward.

Speaking of tunes, hack has played with my shift points / throttle angle, and with the 7200 rpm rev limit I'm logging 1.30 sec's faster than before! I'm finding that the extra rpms isn't beneficial in first gear but creates extra power in second and third. This thing is going to be a rocket when turboed!
I higher rev limit will only make a real difference if you have the power and a good turbo to back it up. Once you do have the power it can make a difference, personally I am not a huge fan of winding it out like that.

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Feb 26, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013 | 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking Michaels reflash in any way, I was just telling what my observations were thus far with what I have. Heck, I've knocked off 1.30 seconds off of a quarter mile with it, so I'm not complaining! When I go to turbo... oh my goodness, I can only imagine!

Last edited by truthdweller; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013 | 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking Michaels reflash in any way, I was just telling what my observations were thus far with what I have. Heck, I've knocked off 1.30 seconds off of a quarter mile with it, so I'm not complaining! When I go to turbo... oh my goodness, I can only imagine!
I know your not knocking the flash, actually I am agreeing with you. For an NA car the extra RPM is not necessarily good thing. With forced induction it can be beneficial.

I do like the fact that we now all can talk about an ecu reflash, was not long ago we all could only wish we had one. Talking about flashing, I have been testing the early versions of the EDITOR!!!! so far so good. Like every new piece of software there is refining to do but the main functions "VERY NICE!"<<<Borat

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Feb 26, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013 | 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

fyi, with N/A engine I've found after opening up the intake and the exhaust pathways that the higher rpm does let you use that free breathing. The continuing high rpm pull is noticeable to the new redline since flow is not as choked. I do wind it up all the time - too much fun
Old Feb 26, 2013 | 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

now we need cams to further take advantage of that RPM range....

Gary, how important is it to retain the fog bezels? i think flow to the intercooler would be first and foremost...i encountered the same struggle, and in the end i decoded that maximum exposed surface area, was more important, but also found i was able to retain the fogs, minus the bezels...that that was ok in my books...anxious to see what you come up with
Old Feb 26, 2013 | 08:10 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Nice truth , good to its coming along. Be sure to post up in ....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...ts-2013-a.html

For those paying attention.Yeah I'm whoring it a little but it's for everyone

Brent , very true it's nice to see the reflash as a real option and it's almost time for the hacks sky diving season. I'm going to be there this year , new clutch, brakes, wideband, I'm ready to get a custom tune. Although I have the launch control, and the 7200 redline , it's the original mail-in reflash from 2010, it's ran fine but I'm sure there are tons of updates since then.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build