Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013 | 09:15 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Speaking of wagons, this was sitting across the street from the shop I was at:

Last edited by truthdweller; Sep 23, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2013 | 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have had no issues with my axles thus far from the power. I did have to get one replaced but that was due to a ripped boot that went undetected...NICE!!!!
Old Sep 25, 2013 | 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
I have had no issues with my axles thus far from the power. I did have to get one replaced but that was due to a ripped boot that went undetected...NICE!!!!
I'm not 100% sure either that my axles are the culprit, but it "sounded like a duck, walked like a duck, smelled like a duck", and sure "looked like a duck," so we decided to say, "It's a duck." It should be done tomorrow so, we'll know then for sure. And remember, the driver side was the suspect, and replacing both was preventative. Tranny fluid looks a bit brown too, so a change might happen as well.

Last edited by truthdweller; Sep 25, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2013 | 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
It should be done tomorrow so, we'll know then for sure.
I spoke too soon, and may have stirred a hornets nest in the process...unbelievable. more later...
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the garage found nothing wrong with the CV axles nor anything else, although there's a loud metallic, whirring noise when the transmission is in gear and at a stop, and then a coarse, subtle grinding as I begin to accelerate, which subsides above (10) mph. It's also very noticeable when in a tight, right turn radius.

Update: I'm replacing both axles through a majority consensus (another garage) that it's my left front CV axle that's giving me problems.
Change of plans: Due to $$, I'll be replacing only the driver side, although I'm finding out that I'm not the first to have problems locating the CV axles for the 04-06 Lancer Ralliart but that http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/index.html does carry them.
The garage I have my car at has placed two orders and received the incorrect part(s) each time. The problem is the tranny side of the axle D = 1.125" and the parts they are receiving are too small. http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/index.html has them for $129 + $75 core which is refunded upon return of the original.

Last edited by truthdweller; Sep 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for sharing that. I may be needing new CV axles soon as well. Something under my front end started grinding and thats what I am assuming it is. Im afraid to jack it up encase what happend to cranswick happens to me. I cant have this car down its my only one right now... lol
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
I cant have this car down its my only one right now... lol
My whole project was based on keeping my car drivable for the same reason. I succeeded up until the last two months!

Im afraid to jack it up encase what happend to cranswick happens to me.
I missed this one...fill me in...
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, the splined/hub end of the axle was rusted and frozen, and required a good PB Blaster treatment and impact hammer to remove it. I hope yours is a bit easier.
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

My whole project was based on keeping my car drivable for the same reason. I succeeded up until the last two months!

I missed this one...fill me in...
Gladly:

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
So, i ran slicks on the 1/4 mile...good idea? or bad idea...14.6 seconds, good idea...broken transmission? again?...bad idea i guess...

Good news is i thought it was the transmission, but it wasn't cause the axle shaft was broken inside what mitsubishi calls the "dynamic damper" so at first look, the axle looked fine, but upon jacking, once the suspension extended fully, the true cause of the failure was revealed as the broken shaft just sorta fell out...weird thing is it looks super corroded, to the point where the diameter of the shaft was reduced...and the CV joint pooped its grease all over the place...

carnage pictures

So, i'm glad i don't have to take the transmission apart again, but at the same time, i'm still down waiting for the new axle to arrive, and i have my doubts about the longetivity of the passenger side
Old Sep 27, 2013 | 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I'm laughing at the "poop"! That is pretty obvious as to what the problem is...at least, one of the problems. Mine is all circumstantial so far.
Old Sep 29, 2013 | 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Axle should be in today... let's see if they can put it back together. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
Old Sep 30, 2013 | 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Axle should be in today... let's see if they can put it back together. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Called http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/products.html this morning and the shipment should arrive tomorrow by the end of the day...

Five more days till MOD 2013 East Coast...

Last edited by truthdweller; Sep 30, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2013 | 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Axle is in and being installed...

I was looking at the first page of this thread and found this:

truthdweller: "At (49) years young, that's good enough for me."

I'm (51) now...has it been that long? Time flies when you're BOOSTED, LOL!

Last edited by truthdweller; Oct 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2013 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Replacing the driver side axle did not solve the noise...imagine that, AND the right rear brake caliper could be frozen...awaiting calipers to do the rear brakes. I'm also going back to the OEM rear motor mount...just too much vibration and noise...maybe this MM is broken/loose causing this mysterious front end grinding...we'll see.

You ready for this? While idling my engine today, the top radiator hose pops off, shooting coolant all over the back of the car parked in front of it, WTH?! Anybody want to guess what happened?
Old Oct 17, 2013 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Are your bearings good on the front driver side wheel? Oh my rear passenger caliper locked up on me at the beginning of the year, I replaced it with a rebuilt centric one. And you might run into the same problem Crans and I had if you replace the rear motor mount. The solid front one will beat the hell out of the back one and you'll keep breaking them...

Your head gasket isnt damaged is it?

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build