Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014 | 06:51 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by silentcool
how many miles were in your engine before you went the turbo route?

Old Apr 11, 2014 | 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by truthdweller; Apr 12, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2014 | 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

where's the wing?
Old Apr 11, 2014 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
where's the wing?
On order...three week lead time, probably in a month or so.
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't that photo look like it was modified with some type of photo effects? It wasn't, but with a 560 candle flashlight shown over the shoulder of my brother in law who's taking the picture...pretty impressive!
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Doesn't that photo look like it was modified with some type of photo effects? It wasn't, but with a 560 candle flashlight shown over the shoulder of my brother in law who's taking the picture...pretty impressive!

Tactical photography...
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Nice! For some reason I thought it would be less - was of the impression that turbo charging an engine will require that it had a little less mileage. About how much did you spend in total including injectors, fuel pump & misc parts? About $2500.....random figure...
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilentCool
Nice! For some reason I thought it would be less - was of the impression that turbo charging an engine will require that it had a little less mileage.

the higher, the better...no break-in required :LOL:

Gary, did you replace your head bolts yet? might wanna do that before pushing it any harder...
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

the higher, the better...no break-in required :LOL:
Lol thanks.....
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Lol thanks.....

with a good tune, you can run decent boost, but you should install strong head studs.
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! For some reason I thought it would be less - was of the impression that turbo charging an engine will require that it had a little less mileage. About how much did you spend in total including injectors, fuel pump & misc parts? About $2500.....random figure...
I'm way late in the 2004 "Lancer Enthusiast" forums...so, for that reason, my mileage is high. I inquired about the same concern while gathering information before my build, and nobody said "No" so I went for it.

Double your figure + 500 and you'll have it. The original budget was $4k. The welding fabrication killed my budget at the end, and I've never mentioned this before, but the race shop welder at ProFab Racing wasn't too thrilled about having their name associated with my car so, I didn't bring their name up again, until now. I'd be a bit embarrassed too if I charged that much for the amount of time and material they ACTUALLY spent on my car!
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Gary, did you replace your head bolts yet? might wanna do that before pushing it any harder...

No, ironically, the guy/mechanic that just put in my axle just showed me and educated me on the how's and what's of head bolts and he didn't think they're necessary on the low boost were running.

Your thoughts?
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

hackish told me me years ago, at roughly 10-12psi you could blow a head gasket...

...I've never mentioned this before, but the race shop welder at ProFab Racing wasn't too thrilled about having their name associated with my car so, I didn't bring their name up again, until now. I'd be a bit embarrassed too if I charged that much for the amount of time and material they ACTUALLY spent on my car!
what exactly DID they do? And how much did they charge? why would they feel that way about the car?

I feel bad now cause I got my whole kit welded for like $100, I shot him a 50 and 2 cases of beer, or something like that, but also, he's my mom's boyfriend, my mom is also a metal worker. so I was pretty lucky to have him help me out.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 12, 2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

what exactly DID they do? And how much did they charge? why would they feel that way about the car?

I feel bad now cause I got my whole kit welded for like $100, I shot him a 50 and 2 cases of beer, or something like that, but also, he's my mom's boyfriend, my mom is also a metal worker. so I was pretty lucky to have him help me out.

They had my car in and out of their garage for just about two months, I think. I could look back at my posts to be more accurate, but I think I'm close, anyhow...

They're only open two days a week, Wednesday & Thursday. I showed up as much a I could, at first because I was excited and interested, excited because I was THAT close to being done, and interested because, well, I was interested. What I soon found out was how much time they DIDN'T spend on working, but how much time they spent on BSing. You remember, I was so frustrated at how little was being accomplished. Yeah, I can feel the tension already from those that work in shops and how much they hate patrons that stand around and watch them work...well, I am you're worst nightmare. So, Freddy Kruger would show up JUST so they would feel pressured to work on my car. I'm sure they grew to hate me...C'est la vie.

The biggest hold up was the down pipe. I met one-on-one with the owner and he was apparently transparent about the amount of time they (four of them) spent trying to solve the down pipe and waste gate room issues and that he wasn't going to charge me for that time. I would watch the welder weld and then take an hour break (not exaggerating) before he would return to touch my job again. What was I doing during that hour? As much as I could to provision my next step. Remember that "paper towel roll" idea that I came up with that they shot down at first? Well, you saw the finished down pipe / waste gate housing fabrication....look familiar?

I'm getting a bit ralled up again and my post is looking like a book, but my budget was 4k right? And I ended up spending how much...$5500? Well that's $200 shy of what they charged me. Pro Fab might be good, but they're NOT THAT GOOD!

A far as why didn't they want their name on it...IMO, they're a muscle car operation and mine leaked "soy sauce" on their garage floor when they welded my oil pan, which actually made me laugh when they said that, but you get the drift. Second, the amount of welds that the UICP had on it wasn't acceptable to the welder and he didn't want his name associated with it. When he said that, I couldn't wait to get my car off their lot, which if you remember, I used my two thirteen year old nephews to help me gain access to my car, tucked in behind another vehicle on the side of the garage once it was finished, and push it out so that the tow truck could load it up to take to the muffler shop. I paid the elderly man, owner of the property, the balance, and never went back.

What did I pay for?

(6) circumfrential 2.5" dia. tig welds
(1) " oil pan bung weld
(1) small weld on Wastegate lever
Design of actuator arm bracket and fab
" " downpipe and fab with flex pipe
Oil Return line hose and fittings

I provided most all of the piping, including yours Garrett, flanges, and gaskets, nuts and bolts.

Last edited by truthdweller; Apr 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

What a joke...the shop that did my downpipe charged me $300, what they did, was cut my old exhaust off behind the cat, welded the new cat in, made a new "mid pipe" with flex section, flanged it off, then connected another flanged pipe to my stock "downpipe" to remain N/A. after that was done, they bolted my manifold and turbo on, and fabricated the downpipe from the turbo, to the flange ahead of the flex pipe, threw the downpipe and turbo stuff in the trunk, put the newly fabbed N/A pipes back on.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build