Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no idea where you got that idea from. Both of them just compress air and push it into the engine. The only difference being that one is driven by a belt, and the other is driven by the exhaust stream. For either one, you will still have to upgrade your fuel delivery to match the airflow.

True, if a turbo malfunctions, and overboosts, you can destroy an engine. Just like running the SC at 23psi before your engine is ready for it. 7psi from a SC isn't going to blow up your engine, and neither will 7psi from a TC.

Also, there is only one way to over-rev these cars, and that's by mis-shifting. Even then the ECU will shut off the fuel, to save the engine.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really shows you what i know. Then why such a big deal about getting turbo, so many people tell me to stay away and try something else. My friend said that is can blow gaskets real easy as well as some other problems.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cleotis
Then why such a big deal about getting turbo
Turbocharging a car that didn't originally come with one isn't very simple. You need oil and water connections for the turbo, air piping for the filter-turbo, turbo-intercooler, and IC-throttle body. The stock airflow sensor will probably also need to be changed. The stock exhaust will need to be upgraded. You need more fuel, and a means to control the amount of boost the turbo makes, among other things. It's a rather intimidating process.

If you run too much boost in an engine not designed for it, then you'll blow gaskets and/or your engine.

IMO, most NA engines could probably take 5psi easily. It's when you're no longer happy with 5psi, and crank it up to 10 or 15, that you run into problems.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:09 AM

Oh yeah from what i have seen the supercharger is the easier and better way to go. You dont have to worry about the oil connection or the intercooler. Plus no turbo lag and no turbo malfunctioning. Plus if you can get the proper config im sure even at equal horsepower you would be faster on the track than the turbo.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no 4cyl SC'd car holding the fastest track times... they are all Turbo'd. The 4cyl has a huge drag on it when the SC is involved. 6cyl and 8cyl do benifit greatly from SC's though.

Cleotis... a lot of your boost thinking is way off the mark. There are several SC vs Turbo posts that you can check out and get a lot better grasp on the subjects. There are several nightmare stories about belts breaking with SC's as well... it happens actually more often than you'd think. Just like gaskets blowing in turbo setups. Both have inherant dangers to them... where the safety comes in is in the tuning. If tuned well you should never blow it unless a major failure occurs. An SC does have oil cooling that you'll tap the return for just like a turbo. The SC's cooling utilizes methanol injection which you'll have to refill more often the more you boost and higher you boost. The turbo has an intercooler. So on and so on and so on... just do a search and read a bit and you'll get the best pro's and cons you can find.

The site says 270+hp but that has NEVER been tested. They have no motor pulling that high to prove that statement. That is a hoped for number that they should pull as they have yet to prove it... but it catches peoples eyes and they buy kits thinking that is what they'll get just like you did. It's a selling deception that many vendors use to get you reeled in. Seemed to work for you?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:24 AM

Thanks Im just trying to learn the most I can before i buy something that is going to get my car going as fast as it can.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

No worries... just check out the posts about SC vs TC... there are some arguements granted but a lot of pertanent info has been put out. Also don't let yourself be deceived by false claims. The RRM site states capable HP and those numbers have been reached and dyno proven... dyno's are posted on the site.

The RIPP site has that huge eye catching number with no proof of where it came from. The best they've output is 222whp and 218wtq. That was on a 5 speed at 9-11psi methinol cooled. The Auto turbo car at 8 psi put out more. The manuel turbo put out about 20hp more at 9psi. Dyno's are out for the turbo cars but not for the RIPP kits. Just wait and take your time before investing. There is so much info on here for either kit that you should be able to decide. Most of all the longer you wait the more that will come out about the SC since it has really only been out a few months.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:32 PM

So is turbo really that bad? Theoretically you could get almost 400 hp if you had the proper config on the sc with the boost at about 20 psi. I sthis the same with the turbo?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Turbo will provide more on a 4cylinder than the SC ever will... only thing is the motor has to be built to take it. Thus far i've yet to see a motor take that pressure and live. A few have sqeezed 15psi but not many have the $$ to go the distance your talking about.

Even an SC would need a lot of engine modifications to make that boost reliable on the 4cyl. At that point your talking more than cost effective. Anything beyond 10 psi will kill your wallet. Pisons, rods, cranks, cams, etc will add up and lets even hope the block would take it. They are pretty thin walled.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:44 PM

yeah but with time and money it could be done right?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

lots of time and lots of money... and serious tuning by an expert.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

i have auto ripp sds lancer

Boeturbo and cleotis, i have the first auto supercharged lancer by ripp mods. you might have read that zoolancer was the first which is tru but i'm his brother and have aquired his car. the numbers at the site where it says 272 hp? i do no c but ripp mods do tell you that it puts around 266. when they say that, thats at the crank not the wheels. the SDS kit puts 222whp and 218tq to the weels at 9 psi, i have talked to ross a ripp and the lancer cannot run the 11 psi as stated on the site do too the overdrive crank pully, they said they are working on it because the belt or something keeps comin off at 11 psi, they r just redisigning the overdrive crank. i have the stage 2 and once my car comes back to me in a week the car will be retuned and dyno so i can stop the madness on the forum about the auto sds not having any numbers. and Boeturbo, auto turbo from rrm only puts out 200whp with 5 auto at 9 psi. i kno that this is a RA forums but somehow this came up and i just wanted to make it clear. RIPP mods r making a supercharger kit for the RA which should be coming out soon. RIPP is also designing a stage 3 SDS kit for the regular lancer which i hope to upgrade too. Although i have the first auto supercharged lancer, i will let u know the hp and tq figures before i do anything else. i will be swapping this tranny to a manual once the money comes in for me cause auto is plain no fun
i have talked to RIPP about running more boost, they will be testing on my car once i have some money to put some work.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

For the Australians watching this thread, the US Lancer has a 4G69 2.4L engine producing 160Hp /120Kw and 161 lb-ft of torque stock. Its no suprise this kit is producing 222 Whp, it should by all calculations!! Would like to install one into an Australian Mirage (smaller than Aus Lancer) with 10psi and go riding
Old Oct 30, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptor
For the Australians watching this thread, the US Lancer has a 4G69 2.4L engine producing 160Hp /120Kw and 161 lb-ft of torque stock. Its no suprise this kit is producing 222 Whp, it should by all calculations!! Would like to install one into an Australian Mirage (smaller than Aus Lancer) with 10psi and go riding
Actually they are talking about the OZ/LS/ES motor . An RA would make well over 222whp and 218 tq at 9 PSI. Thats some serious power with an 120hp motor.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have had a lot of experience with supercharger probleoms. My 99 solara has been supercharged for about 2 years, to start off any time you need to do anything to the car you have to take off the supercharger(changing spark plugs, timing belt, ect.) Chaning the boost level is simple all you do i slap on a smaller pully, but without fuel tuning this can be very bad. I blew both my know sensors(witch requires removing the supercharger) so just that cost me $600. And I only went from 4psi to 5.5psi. I would have to say just go with a turbo, you can run more boost and its intercooled, most SC's are not. I guess I will just have to wait and see what kind of supercharger systems are available, but if I was to choose today I would go with RRM's turbo kit.

Nick

Quick Reply: Supercharger