Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kondo, supercharger is more reliable than turbo, it requires no maitanace as well. IDk about ur solora but till this day, there has been no problems or engline failure using the RIPP sds. As you stated that turbos are intercooled and most superchargers are not does not reply to the lancer. stage 1 of both supercharger and turbo doesn't not come with an intercooler. stage 2 RIPP sds uses a methanol/water injection as an intercooler. Once your going to run more boost, no matter what system you will be using you will be using an intercooler. also Kondo, RIPP sds system is very reliable, no engine failure yet as stated above. Also, what forced induction kit comes with a 1 yr warranty besides RIPP. shows that reliability is there. The SDS system kicks in at low rpm's, no turbo lag, great response through out the power band. too tell you guys the truth, i always thought supercharging a 4cyl will be week and only getting gains of like 40 hp to the wheels. rather than supercharging a 6 and 8cyl where its more effective but this SDS kit proved me wrong. its a very aggresive kit, i would recomend it to anyone who wants the power of FI to both lancers and RA. I do not want this thread to become one of those TURBO VS SUPERCHARGER, i'm just stating my opinon and my .02 cents.

Last edited by nextgenerationx; Oct 31, 2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Stock Evos which weigh in around 3300 lb.s, dyno about 220 awhp and can run high 13s. The significantly lighter (lower drive train loss too) RA should require less power to achieve the same acceleration rate. Ripp mod.s is a quality company. Dave knows Mitsu engines, what they can make on stock internals, and has worked out their kits over time. Installation of the kit is straight forward so you can do it yourself in a weekend.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm thanks for the info guys, I originally wanted to get a SC but I was not aware of the ripp they also make one for the solara and I have heard good things about them. How much does the lancer kit cost, stage 1/2 also what are the dyno#'s?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

these numbers r from the site and there TO THE CRANK not to be confused wheel power. stage 1, 5spd 230hp, auto 211hp, stage 2 5spd 274 and auto 252. stage 2 whp for 5spd is 222whp and 218tq, once i get my car back and retuned i will keep u posted on the stage 2 auto figures to the wheels. stage 1 is around 3500 and stage 2 is 4000 for both auto and 5spd. might as well you get the stage 2! Very aggressive kit, power comes in strong at low rpms and through out the powerband.. way to go RIPP!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nextgen... you stated that the auto RRM kit is only 200whp at 5psi?? That is true of their stage 1 kit. The Auto stage 2 kit pushing 8-8.5psi is actually 227whp and the dyno has been posted.

I know the SDS will not push that much even at 9psi... and don't say no engine failures to date as there has been one! I believe it's your car if your taking over zoo's ride.

Also as far as no maintenance on the SC go ahead and never open the hood for a couple of months running that SC. Then check you're oil and methanol injection out. You'll find that there will be a loss in oil and you'll probably be out of methanol... it's going to happen as the lancer motor is not designed for boost. There is blowby on the motor that sends some oil into the intake and it gets eaten up in the combustion process. The methanol injection needs to be maintained especially for spirited driving enthusiests.

Never come on the site saying there is no maintenance... zero engine failures... or quoting hp figures if your not certain their true. Guys like me watch this site more than you'll know and know these cars more than most. We'll keep things honest and blunt at times.

That being said... whether or not you go SC, TC, some custom application, or NOS... you need to just weigh all the facts. HP/TQ numbers(compare dyno's as well for true power band analysis), as well as checking out time on the road. New kits are still being proved out and old kits have been. There are good and bad comments about both... add them up and base a decision on them. There is one SC kit for the lancer and about 3 TC kits now. Investigate them all before spending your cash as that way you'll be more content with your decision... also you may find a good used kit for even better savings. Just keep your eyes and mind open and read... read alot! Good luck!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

boeturbo, filling up the methanol cooler really isn't maintance to me but if u consider that maintance than find you have me there.. and no my brothers car was not a failure. it was a prototype at the time. than again if you consider it to be a failure than again you have me there but i do not consider a failure when my brother's car was being tested. it was the first auto supercharged lancer.
also about the TC and hows theres more out there, its unusual to have a SC on a 4 banger, and RIPP specializes in Superchargers, lets not have this thread turn out to be turbo vs supercharger please. if you moniter this sitre more than me than you should know that this thread is goin to be a disaster if you keep bashin on my pt of view of superchargers. i was just putting my 2 cents cause thats wut the thread was askin what do you prefere, you should be the more mature one here sayin that this thread shouldn't go out of hand over me if u watch this site carefully.. i was just sayin that i prefer supercharger for this car over a turbo than again its my 2 cent no reason on proving something... thank you

happy halloween everyone!!!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:54 PM
EvoM Guru

saying what you prefer is fine... stating facts in the support that are not entirely true is not fine. That is misleading... in the end, if you noticed, i stated that no matter which way a person goes they just need to do their research and be happy in thier decision.

I don't want this to get into a vs. either but please stick to your opinion and don't state facts... especially if they are not true.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ok i am a little confused here. Is there a supercharger for the RA or no? the ripp wed site only posts a supercharger for oz and es and mirage
Old Nov 1, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

No....no SC for the RA as of yet.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

the ripp sds is not out for the railli art yet
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation Why turbos are better than superchargers..

Ok. I just read through this thred and the one thing that poeple are missing out on is why turbos are better than superchargers.. Super Chargers take horse power to make horse power! Turbos use wasted exhaust gases to make horse power. A turbo with an upgraded exhaust system with the same amount of boost and intercooled, will make more horse power. Super chargers usually rob engines of 15-25 hp! The only real negative about a turbo is a lagg issue. But with the turbos they use nowadays there is almost no lagg. On new turbos, boost comes on at around 3,200 rpms. Ask anyone who drag races and they will tell you they launch their cars at a higher RPM than that. Also, there shift points will drop them back to 4,000+ rpms when they are changing gears.

Also, how is this company RIPP saying that it's 11psi super charger after taking 20 hp to run is making 270hp? When the evo with the same cc engine, but built with much more engineering towards ligher weight moving parts @20 psi with a twin scroll turbo is only making 271?!?!?!!? I think this Ripp company is ripping people off by saying its 9-11 psi kit puts out anywhere near 270 hp.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

For the people out there who don't know anything about anything, the drive belt, the supercharger crank and resistance built by the superchargers psi is what takes that hp.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

noo need to bash on RIPP mods, its making aroun 270 hp to the crank not the wheels... yes the evos engine is more engineered but a turbo lancer from RRM makin 265 hp to the wheels? so its possible for RIPP to make 270 hp to the CRANK if RRM is makin there stage 2 turbos get around 265whp
Old Nov 2, 2004, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

At least RRM has put up dyno's... i seriously don't like crank numbers due to their falsehood. There is no way to really know the crank numbers unless you dyno the motor on an engine dyno. Drivetrain losses are never identical in cars. Though they may be typically around 15-20% they are not always dead in that area.

True WTQ/WHP is where the truth lies. More so in the torque as that is what HP is derived from. While an SC does take away hp/tq from the motor it does allow for a more controlled ramping of the boost. This controlled ramp leads to very easy and stable platform in which to tune from. A turbo can have more inconsistant curve but it's curves are larger than the SC at equal boost levels due to parisitic loses found in the SC and not the TC. It's a real give in take situation anyway you look at it.

An SC can be fun and pull harder and harder till redline... the reason is progressively increasing boost/hp/tq caused be the rpm ramping. An SC doesn't achieve full boost till way late in the game.

A TC can be a kick in the *** due to the immidiate pull down low since its max boost is obtained over 2000rpm sooner than the SC. The rest of the ride though can seem like less and less since the engine is actually coming up and passing its peak hp/tq ranges earlier than the SC. The power band is acheived earlier though and the overall peak hp/tq is higher thruout the band to redline.

In the end there are many variables to consider... i'm not fond of crank numbers but more and more vendors are using them as they are eye catchers. Most people take those numbers as gospel and run with them never really knowing the facts till later. This is a big misleading ploy i feel. But a lot of vendors do this and make promises. Finding the ones that have proven their goals and factualized their advertisements should be the number one priority of the consumer.

The biggest scam i've seen is 15-20% more power for your car with a resistor that costs about 20 cents... people still buy them though and pay for shipping, which is only 25 cents but they pay 1.50 or higher?? They get taken twice... it's a cruel world out there. Take your time guys and weigh your options. In the end your decision must make you content and happy or you'll feel wrong about it forever.