Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Sensor type settings for S-afc..?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensor type settings for S-afc..?

Guys, I'm in the final part of installing my S-afc II in te RA but have encountered some discrepancies in the sensor type and sensor conections from de S-afc to the ECU while comparing the EVO 8 install tread here and what the S-afc intructions says. First of all for the EVO install the guys here connect pink and orange cables to the MAF's sensor while the instructions for the S-afc states to use White and yellow.. Second of all If I do the pink- orange Karman connetion EVO style when I go monitor i see the MAf's reporting 5volts and the dial pegged to 100% rich. THe car wont idle it just stays extremely rich. Then when I do the white-yellow hotwire settings-connection the car just stalls while trying to start and seems not to like it.. Right now I just leaved all the sensors conected to the S-afc as monitor to see if everything is working properly and everything is OK. The problem is selecting the type of sensor and connection for MAf in the AFC to the ECU..

If anyone have any insight or connection type info for the RA I will apreciate your help..

Thanx..

T-rush
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

find what the problem was yet? no ones posted and Ive been waiting. I was gonig to buy mine the other day but just been lazy about going out and getting it. Now im just waiting to see if your still having problems and how its running with your car and everything.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Well, guys I've been trying to make the S-afc work trought the MAF conection but for some reason its not compatible with our cars. The meter we use is a Hotwire type but for some reason it wont idle well and gets extremelly rich. I called Apexi tech sup. and they told me that they havent tried in our models. Well I did some workaround and found that our cars have a MAP sensor conection to the ECU I called Apexi to ask about if it could be done and tech supp told me that "you could use either or.." conection. Well I did the splicing throught the MAP instead of the MAF and its working OK. What I noticed is that I have to leave the Lo settings in"0" to avoid the service soon light and can modify the HI settings without problems.. This is the way I got mine to work but I'm not stating this is the correct way. Everyone is on their own here.. I recomend that you follow the instalation and test any conection with a meter. If someone finds the way to make it work through the MAF well let me know for now I'm happy with the way is working in my car..

2cnt's
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if our MAP is anything like the evo MAPs, then its not a true MAP so to speak and will give us a hard time /w reliable readings. some people i know swapped it for a GM or other MAP. dunno if its a good idea or not as far as the output to the ecu is concerned (prob not), but its been done. either way, good work! let us know how it feels =)
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Thunder-rush
Well, guys I've been trying to make the S-afc work trought the MAF conection but for some reason its not compatible with our cars. The meter we use is a Hotwire type but for some reason it wont idle well and gets extremelly rich. I called Apexi tech sup. and they told me that they havent tried in our models. Well I did some workaround and found that our cars have a MAP sensor conection to the ECU I called Apexi to ask about if it could be done and tech supp told me that "you could use either or.." conection. Well I did the splicing throught the MAP instead of the MAF and its working OK. What I noticed is that I have to leave the Lo settings in"0" to avoid the service soon light and can modify the HI settings without problems.. This is the way I got mine to work but I'm not stating this is the correct way. Everyone is on their own here.. I recomend that you follow the instalation and test any conection with a meter. If someone finds the way to make it work through the MAF well let me know for now I'm happy with the way is working in my car..

2cnt's
so what do you mean your happy? Any new feeling of the engine?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

ours it hot wire???????? i thoguth it was karmann vortex????

i thgoutht the hotwire setups had one single wire and 2 lil prongs on the airflwo sensor?

anyone know for sure

THanks
Tory

whats pin outs for the map sensor and where is it located?
Old May 25, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thunder-rush

2cnt's
I ran into the exact same problem here and I have tried both the hot wire and the karman setting

I am not sure what the settings should be, I will need to consult the service manual tonight when I get home.

-joe