Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Question about V-AFC...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question about V-AFC...?

Ok, did a search... couldn't find my answer/enough info.

I see alot of people are tying to hook up a S-AFC or S-AFCII, but what about a V-AFC? I know, its for vTEC cars, but it works with MIVEC cars. Some of the aussie guys have hooked it and tuned it to there FTO and mirages. I was wondering, who has done it? Im looking to get this REAL SOON, since the JDM MIVEC CNTRL does not work on our cars (duh). Also, no company is in the works for something like that on our car. I seen what it does on a coupe sI and on a vTEC prelude, so I could only imagine what it would do on the RA.

Ive seen a few peoples dyno graphs of a stock/modded RA... and there seems to be 2 "jumps" in the graph, one @3600 and one @4000, it's been discussed when MIVEC profile opens... i don't feel anything (or much) @3600, but @4000 I can feel it.. it's not a kick in the pants like 2000+ prelude, or sI coupe or ITR... but you can sense a difference in speed, still mistu says 3600. Im new to this type of thing, but do you pretty much dump fuel and take fuel away at certains RPM's? Could we actually dump more fuel @ 3600 (MIVEC PROFILE), to make that "jump" on the graph rise? Seeing that 3rd gear is our strongest pull (not dyno wise), I would like to get more power into that gear w/ the V-AFC.

Sorry for the book, im just really intrested in it now, something of a cheaper route to the RRM PB (atleast for the time being). Also, it's just not for HONDAS... ive read how the SPECV owners are using V-AFC to dump more fuel @____ rpm for more power, so they have CVVT... why not MIVEC?

P.S. Before anybody says E-MANAGE, i heard it does not work for our car.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FTO and other mivec systems dont operate the same way ours does. im still not sure exactly what triggers it (is it a reading from the RPM value in the ECU, or the expected oil pressure at a given RPM? ive heard both). either way, the mivec controller would be kinda pointless for performance because its in about the optimal spot already. it would be nice for daily driving to save gas.

as for the AFC, if you look at my dyno runs /w the a/f readings, you see that we are kinda lean to start with and dont hit 12 until mivec kicks in. then we go lean again for a few 100 rpms, then settle near 12. (12 is about optimal). so the afc would be good for dumping fuel in the low RPM ranges, leaving the mivec map the same, and maybe modifying slight after the mivec point. otherwise, its not too bad. keep in mind, this is /w the RRM piggy, so the stock fuel map is probably worse =)
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ yeah, it is. Another reason why I wanna aid in the MIVEC profile, because gas is a b*itch. Im currently bidding on ebay for one and im asking some of my honda friends to get me one for less than $200 w/ the booklet and harness, than ill go to the MIVEC forums (aussie forums) for more help and info. Also, MIVEC is just to tame in stock form... alil fuel help would make it better in spirited driving
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
EvoM Guru

CIRCUIT OPERATION
A battery positive voltage is applied to the engine oil pressure switch output terminal (terminal No. 1) from the ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T> (terminal No. 27) via the resistor in the ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T>.
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
The engine oil pressure switch converts the existence of a engine oil pressure into a high/low voltage, and inputs it into the ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T>.
When the engine oil control valve operates, the engine oil pressure in the MIVEC system rises. The engine oil pressure switch opens, thus interrupting the application of the battery positive voltage. As a result, the output voltage of the engine oil pressure switch will fluctuate between 0 and 12 volts.
The ECM <M/T> or PCM <A/T> checks whether the engine oil pressure switch turns "OFF" or "ON" during driving.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

how in the hell do you do that kris?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:01 PM
EvoM Guru

if people ask, i don't see why they shouldn't know.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

is it of memory or something you just know how to find....damn
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, kris... when i get my V-AFC... could you help me install it?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
EvoM Guru

you could go off otter's sticky in this forum for wires. i've installed it in my car(an OZ), but ecu wiring is different between our cars so you're better off asking people here. not to say i won't help you, but i'll help you if you need it. solder a few wires and you're good to go. i think someone tried controlling mivec with an emanage or something with no success. if you want to try it, splice into pin 27 "engine oil pressure switch". but after you get it running, of course.

as for tech info, i've spent a few bucks on stuff to read. all the info is out there...

Last edited by rhyzin; Apr 18, 2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am worried that modifying the signal into the ECU about oil pressure may screw up other things that depend on the oil pressure variable. is this a legitamit concert?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:32 AM

Why are you guys putting a V-AFC in your car. It's for Vtec only! you need a S-AfC. For the Mivec. I personally called apexi and asked them and I have the S-afc and It curved my Fuel/Air Ratio.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

12 a/f is fine.. i don't see why you want more fuel that that..

i ran my accord with 11.5 and it made more power than 10.5

-joe
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by blk-majik
i am worried that modifying the signal into the ECU about oil pressure may screw up other things that depend on the oil pressure variable. is this a legitamit concert?
no. this switch controls mivec. oil pressure sensor is elsewhere.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

I have an S-AFC for sale if anyone wants one. See the ForSale sticky.

Sorry... had to do it.

Carry on.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have the S-AFC and im not sure about it. It kicks on my ses light. It turned off for a wnile but now its back.. grrrr I just noticed it again this morning. It was donig weird things and i have no idea why. I was watching the correcting and air flow and it seemed liek it was almost running backward. so I messed around with it and foudn the sensors were set wrong? wonder how that happened? fixed it and its running right again. As for power I have no idea what I have gain for I haven't dyon'd it.

No idea what my plans are for trhe future. errrr.. I like all the pretty numbers and flashy things though.

Quick Reply: Question about V-AFC...?