Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Want quiet aftermarket muffler

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am wondering, if you buy an axelback or just muffler, is it just a bolt-on type install or will it need welding? Im not sure how this cars exhaust is setup.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

the axle-back (like RRM's) is a direct bolt-on install. If you get just a muffler, you can either clamp it on (which is stupid and not recommended), or it's welded on.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

-

Yeah, get it welded on man... it's not that expensive to have done and you'll be glad you did. Don't go cheap about that...

-
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to get it welded on if that was necessary. I was just wondering what you would have to buy to make it a bolt on application(axelback) and what would need welding(muffler). Like I have said numerous times on this site already, I am used to working with trucks and musclecars, so i have to ask alot of questions about my mitsu in order to figure out what im working with.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosilver
Hey man i have greddy on mine and its verey quite the 1 i had b 4 made cups pull me over every time they saw me passing by but now thank God i'm done with them for the sound now we have the speed prob. lol
I can see you dont believe in punctuation. But a greddy catback doesnt fit our cars specifically unless you get something else (and i forget what you call the part).
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
I can see you dont believe in punctuation.
Yeah... those kind of posts test the limit of my ability to understand english (which is otherwise an easy language to learn). It's some kind of IM shorthand I guess...

But to get back on topic, does anybody know if there was ever a scientific comparison of the sound from those mufflers? Is there an article you remember reading that would list dB levels for comparison?

-
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

As for the Fitting of the EvoII, didn't Blk-Majik said we had identical exhaust setups as the 2.0's?
and for sound, if you want to hear the magnaflow = www.magnaflow.com

I had a dB level comparison somewhere and i lost it... i got a link from a company.

I think 5Zigen.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:23 AM
XRS
Evolving Member

Wow, no one knows how to spell quiet...
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DiamondWhite
As for the Fitting of the EvoII, didn't Blk-Majik said we had identical exhaust setups as the 2.0's?
Yes they are pretty much the same except there is ONE part that you need for it to fit properly and by God I cannot remember what the heck that part is. Somebody on the forums should know what im talking about. as far as 5zigen, they are LOUD. Definitely not quiet by any means. As far as sound is concerned, the exhausts that i have heard are as follows, and they were all on eclipse GS's.

Greddy-Very deep, so deep that it can come off sort of loud
Apex-i Definitely the loudest of the group
Tanabe - It was alright, sound was kinda raspy
Thermal - LOUD and obnoxious
Pacesetter - ugh NO
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XRS
Wow, no one knows how to spell quiet...
thats funny. I didnt even notice that i have been mistyping that. Oh well, no one else noticed my mistake.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:45 AM

Installed a Buschur axleback about 4 months ago. Easy bolt on install, 10hp or so gain and pretty quiet.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by DiamondWhite
I had a dB level comparison somewhere and i lost it... i got a link from a company.
If you ever find it, please get back to us... I'm all about getting opinions, but sometimes nothing beats good old measurements.

-
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hammerr
Installed a Buschur axleback about 4 months ago. Easy bolt on install, 10hp or so gain and pretty quiet.

Interesting. How much does it sell for? And what do you mean by pretty quiet? How does it compare to the stock exhaust?

-
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
But a greddy catback doesnt fit our cars specifically unless you get something else (and i forget what you call the part).
I believe you're going to need the O2 Sensor nut... from what I was investigating on this when I first get the Ralliart...

There was a post on it, but after searching I couldn't find it... SORRY!!!
But I believe due to where the O2 is held in the cat, you'd need an O2 sensor nut... and I called a dealership & they said you'd have to buy the whole O2 sensor... I'm pretty sure that was over $200.00

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's it... Sound right BlkRalliArt!?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hammerr
I dont mean to insult, but 10hp from an axleback? If that were the case, everyone would have one. You would be lucky to get 10hp from the RRM downpipe.
Do not expect any major gains from an axle back, even a full cat back will only give 4-5hp tops, that is prob pushing it even. Take a look at my cardomain page, that muffler is the 14829 from magnaflow. Very clean, stainless steal, perfect fit, well priced, nice low rumbly sound, not obnoxiuosly (sp?) loud. Also an easy install for any decent muffler shop, so it wont cost a fortune for the install.
You are going to have to bite the bullet and pick one, or stay stock if the noise lvl is that big of a concern. Any upgade to a muffler is going to be louder, some just louder then others.

Quick Reply: Want quiet aftermarket muffler