Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

high compresion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddymac
I wonder what the cost difference is between building a higher comp. motor vs. going FI is. What about the reliability. Say the goal is 200WHP. I'm willing to bet its probably cheaper an safer to attain that goal on the 4G69 motor buy going FI then NA (HC).
this could spark off a great debate! cheaper? maybe? safer i dont think so.... all depends on fuel management. the thing that makes it hard to do this comparo is theres not a ton of NA parts for these cars yet....

get some cams, valve springs, itb's, ported head,high comp pistons, and 200 whp isnt far away... too bad the aftermarket wont step up to the plate!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lucas569
... too bad the aftermarket wont step up to the plate!
Yeah, too bad all the people that want the mods are not willing to pay for them
If you want mods you need to get people to buy them. Get them to set up a deposit, figure out what they want, what will be involved in developing more parts, who will be liable if something goes wrong, blah blah blah.

A good example is RRM and their high compression pistons. Only 5 sets were made and the last set was sitting on the shelf for almost six months while everyone promised to buy everysingle set.
Buschur makes wiseco pistons, for about 4 months nobody have bought a set.

Don't get me wrong, but any vendor will tell you the same thing. If there is enough demand I will make it.

If you are looking into what is safer; high compression or forced induction just go and check it out online. You will find that it is harder to boost engines with Vtec's or vvtl (gts 00-06) than cars with just standard timing controll.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

i agree but pistons and such isnt just "bolt" on, you buy some pistons and your talking about about a complete rebuild. how many people have access for the correct tools to do this? not many... thats why you gotta pay a machine shop or tuner shop to do it.

big bucks there on labor alone, not to mention top end and bottom end gaskets, down time plus kiss your warranty good bye! were only in 2005 these cars came out in 04 you think many wanna take that kind of chance?

myself i'm gonna go hardcore once my warranty is done....
Old Aug 4, 2005, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu dealer would not know if high compression pistons are in unless he would have taken the whole head apart or compression check. For any minor problems they would not bother.