Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005 | 04:12 PM

Check Engine Light

I was wondering if anybody has had Their CEL come on after installing the AEM short ram intake. I want to get one but do not want that to happen. I have read some people who get check engine lights to come on after and intake install and others who did not, and that was the same vehicle and same intakes (not RA's). Thanks for your input.
Old Oct 16, 2005 | 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

People who got the CEL light did not install them correctly. If you do it right, you wont have that problem. And fyi, i never disconnected the battery from my car to for the ecu to relearn. Which is what I guarantee people will tell you to do after you install it.
Old Oct 16, 2005 | 04:20 PM

what are some common mistakes during the install? Are you recommending not to disconnect the battery after install? You seem knowledgeable on the subject, is there a better option for an intake? Thanks BLK
Old Oct 16, 2005 | 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing I could imagine is them not tightening the sensor down correctly. Thats the only possible thing that I could think of.
Old Oct 17, 2005 | 07:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Some people have done the install correctly and still got the CEL. Double check your MAF sensor, clamps, and vacuum hose. If all that is secure, then disconnect your battery for 10 minutes. The CEL won't come back unless it's being thrown by something else.
Old Apr 30, 2009 | 10:08 AM

bringin back an old thread. Search is great.
otter, when you say check your MAF sensor...What should i be checking for? And Where is the vacuum hose? I bought my intake used. The inside of the intake was blackened from use. Is that bad? I've reset my ECU a couple times and the light comes on after 100 miles or so. The car runs fine with it on however.
Old Apr 30, 2009 | 12:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

The inside shouldn't be black. After 130,000 or so miles, the inside if mine is still completely clean. As for the maf, what you're checking for is that it's seated properly and the o-ring is sealing, so no air is sneaking in.
Old Apr 30, 2009 | 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

You don't even need to disconnect the ECU for 10 minutes. 30 seconds or less will do it. I've spent 2 weeks so far decoding all the checks they apply to the factory MAF sensor. Clearly mitsu did not want people doing anything to the MAF!

-Michael
Old Apr 30, 2009 | 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I could disconnect my ECU for 30 seconds... it doesn't do anything cause I think you know its been long enough when your radio resets also and mine has to have the headlights and everything on before it resets.... i think it may have something to do w/ my backup battery for my security system but I dont know... maybe I could be wrong
Old May 1, 2009 | 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

If the backup battery for your alarm is not properly installed then it may be supplying the ECU with power. Maybe you need to look at installing a diode in there.
Old May 1, 2009 | 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue. I got it to go away by using a thin bead of silicone to seal the maf......I broke the eyelet where the screw tightens and it did not seat properly. With the silicone let is cure for a bit to ensure a good tight seal.
Old Jun 8, 2009 | 09:55 AM

i think you just have to disconnect the battery and problem fixed or management system will fix it
Old Jun 11, 2009 | 02:16 PM

yeah, if you disconnect it then the ecu will be reset.

im having trouble with the CEL being thrown if i drive over 3000rpms. it doesnt get thrown otherwise. but with the CEL on, the car still drives fine.
Old Jun 18, 2009 | 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

I have the AEM SRI on my 2004 RA. I have noticed that at least with my car when the ecu is reset from a battery disconnection, the first start when the battery is reconnected our car is very finicky. When I installed the SRI I had no problems, never a CEL. I then took off the filter to clean it a few months ago cleaned the filter the way AEM suggests let it dry...realy let it dry just in case, then reinstalled. Started up the car to test after reconnecting the battery after about 30 seconds of running the rpms dipped and the CEL came on it was unusually humid that day. I turned off the car and again disconnected the battery to clear the code. As I said before I have never had a CEL with this car, started it up again the rpms dropped but I assume that is the ecu resetting as i have had that happen every time i disconnect the battery. No CEL from there on out. I guess as an FYI when the ECU is reset the car can sometimes act weird on the first start depending on the surrounding environment and situations. I can only speak from my experience with my car but if you do get a cel and have never had one before you might want to try resetting it again.
Old Aug 19, 2009 | 12:10 PM

Yeah removing battery for 30seconds cleared my CEL