Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

New RRM Pistons!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RRM Pistons!!!!!!!!!

so rrm's new part is aluminum forged pistons. 799 for 4 i dont know to much about pistons and such. but what kinda gains could we see if a set was installed in an RA.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh nice! im going to buy them, screw my plans for world domination lol...

Last edited by PR_Mivec; Dec 17, 2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

You see them on your page vonzipper yet? New pistons definitely make power though. One of RRM's best mods yet.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

high compression?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well heres the grocery list of ?'s i got so far

1. what hp gains can we get and at what rpm's

2. will this give his gain above 6000 rpms (we need it badly there)

3. Are pistons the "weak link" in the mivec engine in which if we replace the stocks with the forged ones, we can maybe throw 9 lbs of boost with the turbo kit???

4. drivability. noisy? rough?

thanks... if the gains are somewhat decent, and it allows for higherboost (by itself, w/out rods or anything else) i'll buy them first thing after winter... i promise, and Rob should know i dont mess around
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would imagine with forged pistons, some rods to match, and headstuds, you could push far far more than 9 psi.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't expect gains if they are the same as stock but only stronger. They would be helpful if you were going F/I though. Anyone know where you could get beefed up rods and head pins to match?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they're lighter it should give gains right? im just assuming, im not sure...
anybody have numbers on this?

and if you have ONLY the pistons, u think you can add a pound or 2 to what RRM has aready, or you can only up the boost with the other mods???

thanks for the help
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
I would imagine with forged pistons, some rods to match, and headstuds, you could push far far more than 9 psi.
Speaking of headstuds I believe a while back someone mentioned ARP studs for our car. I just don't know which ones.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

well for $700 i can get the pistons and rods, seems a bit pricey for just pistons
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ModernRacer
well for $700 i can get the pistons and rods, seems a bit pricey for just pistons
Would you like to share where you can get the rods and pistons? And if anyone can find out about the head studs, that would be a good thing too.

I am in the process of finding high compression/low compression fits for the RA, but if anyone else knows these, it would be great to know.

We should get all this information in a single thread that's easy to find....a sticky perhaps?

....IMO RRM knows they can charge that money because there're so many people that are sold on the company already, plus they right out have a dedicated mod base for the lancer vs pretty much anywhere. They're in it to make money too....although on the pistons....ALOT of money, hahaha.

I do like their wide band though, it seems pretty reasonable, though I haven't put a lot of research into that specifically.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

For $799, you can get Ross, JE, CP or most piston manufacturers to make custom pistons and still have quite a few bucks left!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jars1000
Would you like to share where you can get the rods and pistons? And if anyone can find out about the head studs, that would be a good thing too.

I am in the process of finding high compression/low compression fits for the RA, but if anyone else knows these, it would be great to know.

We should get all this information in a single thread that's easy to find....a sticky perhaps?

....IMO RRM knows they can charge that money because there're so many people that are sold on the company already, plus they right out have a dedicated mod base for the lancer vs pretty much anywhere. They're in it to make money too....although on the pistons....ALOT of money, hahaha.

I do like their wide band though, it seems pretty reasonable, though I haven't put a lot of research into that specifically.

you dont need to "find" pistons you need to have them done that is why people can find more affordable prices..
you might want to try:
arias and ross for pistons and crower for rods.. all custom it should be for all in the neighborhood of 500 to 650, if you dont want to think buy them at rrm
what all companies ask for when you want to go custom is the car (duh) engine make model and year, bore size, stroke, rod length and material desired, block height, compression ratio (and were you want to get), gasket thickness & diameter, wrist pin diameter, pin offset and direction, application info (aka: "mods"), induction & fuel, camshaft specs (gross lift, lift @ TDC), valve angle, combustion chamber CC’s, valve diameters & freedrop (valve edge to cyl. head deck)

same is for rods...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You would need to send them a piston to get them done.

As for our pistons, forged aluminum, stock bore and compression. Improvements to design and construction are key. Thicker ring lands, especially at the top ring. This will allow piston to tolerate more detonation. More boost is possible but remember, detonation is detonation, and fuel octane is fule octane. Those are limiting factors to tuning! Regardless, these pistons are designedto our specs and include all needed to install including, ring sets and piston pins.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

So for anyone running a NA set up what benefit will they have with these? ANY? Or is this the kind of mod where you only notice the benefit once you get rods, thinner head gasket and raise your CR?