Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

SRI Heat shield

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRI Heat shield

Anybody know of any heat shields that would fit the RRM SRI?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hess
Anybody know of any heat shields that would fit the RRM SRI?
The only group that could make a heat shield to fit their SRI would be RRM, and they don't make it. I'd love to see one since SRIs tend to generate more HP and torque then a CAI, but the effects end up being negated due to heat soak, thus making the CAI a more consistent solution. I think the actual shortness of the pipe makes it very difficult to make one that would fit without clipping into the O2 sensor, so that's why we don't see it. You could always try to make your own though.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

RMR was supposed to be making an SRI with a heat shield last year, but I don't think it ever happened. I haven't checked their site in a long while so you might want to check there and see if anything every came about from that.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

RMR was suppose to make one? well i wonder if RPW or RRM plan on makeing one?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

does a short ram really make more HP and TQ? I guess I can see why but I was not aware that the difference was worth the trouble. does anyone have any additional information on this? I work with aluminum all day and could definitely fabricate some sort of lightweight shield for a short ram, I was just going to go cold air though. INFO??
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

i want to go cold air too but if the SRI has the capability of generating more HP and TQ then ill go for that, is it true tough?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I found the link. I should warn you that this is going to be a long, loooong post. Please read throughly before posting any questions or opinions. Do not ask me to summarize this post. This IS a summary, it's not getting any shorter then this.

I should preface this by saying that it really depends on the car more then anything else. Some cars respond better with a CAI, such as an Acura RSX. For most cars however, a SRI will generate more HP then a CAI, as long as the intake element hasn't come down with 'heat soak'.

Since the SRI is less restricted, it has the ability to suck in air much faster then either a CAI, which usually has to run through a couple of bends, or a stock intake, which is usually funneled. The problem is with most SRIs though is that since they usually sit open, as the engine and its surrounding air heat up, the SRI's close proximity to the engine tends to cause it to heat up to the temperature of the rest of the engine. Further, since an SRI is usually extremely short, the heat has very little room to disperse, causing it to become saturated with heat.

With metal elements, such as the RRM SRI on the Ralliart, it's possible that the intake may actually be detrimental to performance vs the stock intake, since the stock intake is all plastic, which is not as conductive as metal (note, this is my own personal speculation, and I have no dyno facts or any kind of documentation to back up this theory. I do own this specific part however, and am happy with it).

CAIs would not have that problem since the elements are much longer then SRIs, and there is always a constant supply of cold air travelling through the intake to help fight heat soak (remember kids, temperature transfer works both ways )

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/ca-dc.shtml

The above link is a comparison test from Tuner Performance Reports that ran dynos on a series of SRIs and CAIs hooked up to a Honda Civic. When comparing an SRI to a CAI from the same manufactuer, the SRIs show a consistently higher peak HP. Examining the dyno sheets also shows that the SRIs tend to have a stronger power curve in general. But the article explains that with the SRI setups, the second run always showed a considerable drop off when compared to the first (unfortunately, they don't provide a 2nd dyno run to show how much of a difference, but the fact that it's mentioned makes me think that it ends up being not much better, if any, to the stock intake). Coincidentally, none of these SRIs has a heat shield. The CAIs in the comparison on the other hand, tend to retain their HP much better, even though they generated less on their best run vs. the SRI equivelent (for example, the Ingen SRI generated 144.1HP, their CAIs generated 140.4 and 143.7. This is consistent with all product lines in this comparison).

Big name manufactuers with large engineering teams tend to do extensive testing to incorperate the best design they can get. AEM for instance, has gone on record as saying that their SRI would outperform any CAI they can make for an EVO. As a result, they don't manufactuer a CAI. EvoM reviewed the SRI for the EVO in December of 2003:

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...mfeatures/32/1

The AEM SRI for the EVO has a heatshield.

AEM also makes a SRI for the Ralliart, and they just released a CAI for it. Both of these parts can be found on their website:

http://www.aempower.com/product_intake_app.asp

The SRI for the Ralliart tucks up high in the engine bay and points away from the engine, but does not have a heat shield. The dynos aren't really comparable, because the SRI was tested on an automatic, while the CAI was tested on a manual. Furthermore, the aforementioned TPR link goes into detail as to AEM's testing process (they took issue to the way that TPR tested their new V2 intakes); AEM calculates 'corrected' HP by performing three runs on the dyno, then calculating the AVERAGE HP, not the peak HP from its best run. In the end, there's no way to tell from AEM's dyno sheet if the SRI generated a higher peak then the CAI since there are too many variables that are different.

Creating a heat shield for the SRI at first glance would look like the best solution to defeat the heat soak issue, but there are problems. In order for a heat shield to be effective, it has to do three things: insulate the filter element from heat, not retain heat itself, and not restrict airflow. The AEM SRI on the EVO does all three of these things (I can explain if this isn't understood). The SRI from AEM on the Ralliart likely wouldn't support a heat shield; as the heat shield would restrict airflow. The current design of the SRI from RRM wouldn't support it either, as it would retain heat because of it's proximity to the engine unless it were made of a non-counductive material, and even then, it would likely be very cumbersome to install and/or prohibitively expensive to produce. To my knowledge, these are the only Ralliart specific SRI solutions available.

While I'd like to see someone try to produce a SRI with a heat shield for the Ralliart, our two best chances (RRM and RPW) are both busy with other projects. RRM is working on a header and a catback exaust for certain. Furthermore, there are already several intake solutions out there from AEM, RRM, Ingen, and Fujita; it may not be economically theisable for someone to go back and research this for the purpose of releasing an upgrade that adds an additional 1 or 2 HP over that companies best available solution. RPW might be able to produce this with some marketability (assuming it would work) since they don't have an existing solution, but this product would likely be way down their list of things to do.

Last edited by kericr; Feb 14, 2006 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Found the Link
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

This is just an idea, not sure if it would help out at all. Well the filter on thr RRM intake is prett big. trying to fit a heat shield in there wouldnt be the easiest thing to do. But if you still had the stock intake parts, what about modding the air dam to aim towards the filter?? im not sure how much airflow the dam actually creates and im not too sure if it would look good or not. But it may be worth a try for someone. Just a thought.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

injen makes a heat shield, maybe their's might fit if the pipe/filter are the same size.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know of a place that makes on as of yet but , check this out i think this would be the best setup for the ra....... sri would def. be better with the filter positioned in the spot where the old air filter box used to be , then you can custom make your own heatshield. just a little somthing to divert the hot air away from the filter, then you can vent your hood right where the heatsheild and filter are .

carbontrix c/f hood is perfect for this setup but rrm sri dont line up with the vent , but you can make it fit then build your heat sheild around that area then bamm ther you go, i think that would work best. if you dont already have a vented hood carbontrix sells vents in diffrent shapes and sizes that you could have any body shop put in cheap, or you could actually do it yourself with a little time and patients
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I want to make a couple of clarifications, since I read over my post and a couple of things were phrased pretty poorly.

"With metal elements, such as the RRM SRI on the Ralliart, it's possible that the intake may actually be detrimental to performance vs the stock intake, since the stock intake is all plastic, which is not as conductive as metal"

Yeah. I have no idea why I typed this. It doesn't make any sense. The air travels too fast through the intake for the temperature of the metal pipe to make any kind of difference. What I ment to say is that the positioning of RRM's SRI may be detrimental to it's performance because it's so close to the engine that most of the air it pulls in is heated. In addition to the warm air, the metal pipe slowly absorbs air and heats up, creating one giant tube of hotness. This doesn't happen with the CAI.

"Creating a heat shield for the SRI at first glance would look like the best solution to defeat the heat soak issue, but there are problems. In order for a heat shield to be effective, it has to do three things: insulate the filter element from heat, not retain heat itself, and not restrict airflow."

Actually the purpose of the heatshield is to shield the area from heat, so it's natural that it would 'retain' heat. What it shouldn't do is transfer heat from the warm engine bay to the shielded cooler area.

Originally Posted by rollinonez
his is just an idea, not sure if it would help out at all. Well the filter on thr RRM intake is prett big. trying to fit a heat shield in there wouldnt be the easiest thing to do. But if you still had the stock intake parts, what about modding the air dam to aim towards the filter?? im not sure how much airflow the dam actually creates and im not too sure if it would look good or not. But it may be worth a try for someone. Just a thought.
I've seen and heard of this done on this forum. It doesn't look stupid per se, but it doesn't look stylish either, and I don't know if it makes any difference. In essence, you're talking about a ram-air made from the stock intake, minus the filter box. While it would direct cold air from outside the engine bay onto the filter, I think the biggest problem is that the volume of air the intake would take in at WOT would probably surpass the amount of air the stock vent would force into the SRI. It probably helps a little bit, but nobody's dyno'd it, and even so, I don't think that this would be a satisfactory solution; a true heat shield would be better.

Originally Posted by psychlancer
injen makes a heat shield, maybe their's might fit if the pipe/filter are the same size.
Yeah I've seen this, I really don't know how it would help, as it looks like it attempts to block heat but at the same time restrict airflow by all but closing off half the side. On the AEM intake, this thing would likely choke the intake, but then again, AEM and Injen have never been known to play nice with one another.

Originally Posted by ralliart 04
i dont know of a place that makes on as of yet but , check this out i think this would be the best setup for the ra....... sri would def. be better with the filter positioned in the spot where the old air filter box used to be , then you can custom make your own heatshield. just a little somthing to divert the hot air away from the filter, then you can vent your hood right where the heatsheild and filter are.
If you vent the hood over the intake, it probably just makes sense to go all the way and build a custom ram-air system for the intake from the vent. I can't remember where the filter sits on the RRM compared to the stock box. Help on this?

I think that if there was some way where the filter could be repositioned to the spot where the filter sits on the EVO on AEM's SRI (between the battery and the light, right behind the hood crease), and attach a heat shield there, that a heat shield around the neck of the filter would negate heat soak. However, doing this would come at the cost of an extra bend, which may be enough to rob the SRI of any difference. Plus, I don't think it could realistically be called an SRI anymore at that point, it's back to being a CAI.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

look at weapon-r's homepage, they have a filter assembly that will hookup to any cai or sri that gives you ram air, complete with ducting and ram air box, and block off plate for the rain.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsutech005
look at weapon-r's homepage, they have a filter assembly that will hookup to any cai or sri that gives you ram air, complete with ducting and ram air box, and block off plate for the rain.
Is there some reason why weapon-r's website is blocked by the word filter on these forums? That doesn't even make a remote amount of sense. It's a pain in the *** to mention a product and then not be able to link it.

Anyway, if this works as designed, I would think that this would resolve the heat soak. Finding a good place to route the scoop without cutting a hole in my hood though, that's a challenge. Anybody use this before and know if it works?

Last edited by kericr; Feb 17, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

i have on a few of the cars we built at my old custom shop. used it on our trailored neon. works great. we used a barometric switch to find out where the biggest head of high pressure air was on the car at 50 mph, it was ditectly in front of the front bumper.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone relocated the battery from the front of the car (behind the front headlight ) to were the stock air box is and then had the air filter sitting were the battery was... I know to do this it means getting a new battery (possibly a motorbike battery) and making up a new holder but at least you will be able to isolate and insulate the pod from heat soak and be able to get some very good outside cold air to it - I took a few of the plastic bits out from under the car and found that once the battery plate is removed there is a lot of space under it which you can channel cold air into it and then the factory front air snorkel can be also modified to channel more air into the filter, but it also makes it very easy to make up a heat shield for it.

Quick Reply: SRI Heat shield