Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ethanol 'ECU' for any MPI vehicle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol 'ECU' for any MPI vehicle

http://www.ABCesso.com

This company based in Brazil markets a chip they claim adapts a vehicle to run concentrated ethanol blends but as well maintaining compatibility for gasoline or any mixture in between.

I am mostly concerned of the compatibility between the MIVEC control processes and this system. I assume it might only adjust injection timing as far as the length of the spray since ethanol has a lower energy content. It simply 'interprets signals and adapts ?something?" BTW, I'm in West Virginia, if you're in a state that requires emissions, this is against the law.

I think vehicles with Variable timing may benefit as they adjust at lower RPM's to ensure fuel is burnt fully, a big problem with slower-burning alcohol. I'm asking the company if they've ever seen success with a Lancer, or even going as far as a VTEC engine.

I don't want to kill my car. I know corrosion is an issue, but researching more 'recent' threads I read that since vehicles are equipped to run at least e10, manfufacturers wouldn't just make their vehicles somewhat compatible. I realize at higher concentrations the fuel mixture can become more acidic, but to any effect on our modern vehicles?

I plan to make my own fuel, but trust me I'm not mixing it unless it's 200 proof (Using zeolite pellets). In this post, please note I don't have a fancy turbo like those evo's, so please respond based on this.

Anyone running ethanol without any mods?
Here's a WRX project, but once again, there's a turbo involved, compression can make a big difference how this stuff burns.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

What if this works? Wouldn't it be great? Brazil is the front-runner in this technology.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

From what I understand, it is more than the ECU for you car to run E-85 or other forms of ethenol blend. I beleive the lines, fuel pump, injectors would need to be changed also.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:10 AM

As far as this company recommends, they only state that the fuel pump would need to be upgraded. New fuel injectors may be required, but then again maybe not. I've heard the fuel lines may need to be upgraded due to corrosion from the ethanol blend, however newer vehicles may not have this problem. The company has links to the left listing modifications that may be required. For each, except the fuel pump, it advises no modifications from factory defaults would be required. I'd upgrade the parts if necessary, but really the purpose of this post is to see if it necessary since there are so many conflicting ideas on this.

The second link I posted above was someone running their WRX on concentrated blend with no modifications. He may have upgraded his fuel pump to support to higher output, but he hasn't changed anything else. He states he would pull everything apart sometime to check for corrosion, but hasn't noticed any problems

Last edited by hifiguitarguy; Apr 12, 2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

well i know bacardi 151 is pretty strong. 151 proof. haha is that close enough
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:35 AM

Here's what the company responded regarding vehicles with Variable valve timing:
If you drive E85 the timing is not so important, but if you drive 100% ethanol it is good to do some timing. Flextune is only using the signal from the ECU, if you change the timing in the ECU there is not any problem.

You don't want any water (or flavor) like an alcoholic beverage would have. Even a small amount of water in your alcohol fuel would be bad as well.

C2 H5 OH dissociates in water (The OH breaks off) causing a weak base which eats at oxide coatings (Aluminum is very reactive but reacts with air at it's surface when it's formed - Aluminum oxide) Any aluminum or other reactive metals would be in trouble.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:02 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats Some Crazy **** That Brazil Is Making This As A Substitute For Gasoline Because In Brazil Does Anyone Know What Gasoline Is By The Gallon?? I'll Tell You ......5 Cents ....a Gallon So It Figures That This Technology Is In Brazil ...where It Is Not Needed ....