Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Boring out engine?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boring out engine?

Has anyone done it or have any suggestions about it?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Some people have pondered this a couple years ago, but it comes down to our cylinder walls already being pretty thin. I think 2.4L is the most displacement a 4G6x block can handle.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm not mistaken I remember a thread about this awhile ago.
Here is a thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=stroker
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, it's better to leave the bore as is, and find other ways of increasing power. Boring .060 over was a great way to add a few cubic inches to an old V8 and get a few hp, but all you'll do on our motor is make the cylinder walls even thinner.

Save the money you would have spent on new pistons, rings, and machining, and put it towards something else.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Are sleeves necessary for the 4g69 for bigger boost down the road.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
Are sleeves necessary for the 4g69 for bigger boost down the road.
That would be a great question for Rob at RRM I think.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, you would only bore out these motors if you were trying to really get a strict piston to wall clearance. Get your pistons, give them to the machine shop, let him measure them and bore the block accordingly. Boring over doesn't yield very much displacement increase.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Since boring seems like a pain and not worth the cash, what about the idea of putting a V6 transmission from like an Eclipse. Would doing anything to the tranny help out?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Truffle Shuffle
Since boring seems like a pain and not worth the cash, what about the idea of putting a V6 transmission from like an Eclipse. Would doing anything to the tranny help out?
Putting in a trans intended for a higher output engine would make things worse. For any trans problems, best thing to do would be to have the stock trans built up by someone like TRE or John Shepard.

And for the question for sleeving the block for higher boost, it's not necessary. On our engines, forged rods/pistons, and headstuds, should be enough for pretty high boost.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 04:17 PM

sorry guys, I've been in working for mitsubishi for 10 years now and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that boring the engine out is not a realistic option. The 4g6x series of engines are at their limits at the 2.4 liters displacement of our engines. The good news is that there is plenty of power to be made in these cars without getting into the internals. There is a good amount out metal in the top end that can be taken out and open up the breathing a bit. This combined with bolt ons and a good tune will make most happy. Beyond this I would suggest turbocharging. The engines are very tolerant of boost and you should see lots of power. Bottom line... could you bore out the block the slighest bit? sure if you have bottomless pockets.... but you can make tons of power other places for a lot less cash
Old Aug 23, 2006, 04:20 PM

and yes to otter, If you are worried about your trans talk to John Shepard about building it up. He has proven time and time again just how tough a mitsu trans can be
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I said b4... if I turbo the car its going to be mean, all or nothing. As much as can be done for a somewhat resonable price while still being able to move
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mako81
sorry guys, I've been in working for mitsubishi for 10 years now and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that boring the engine out is not a realistic option. The 4g6x series of engines are at their limits at the 2.4 liters displacement of our engines. The good news is that there is plenty of power to be made in these cars without getting into the internals. There is a good amount out metal in the top end that can be taken out and open up the breathing a bit. This combined with bolt ons and a good tune will make most happy. Beyond this I would suggest turbocharging. The engines are very tolerant of boost and you should see lots of power. Bottom line... could you bore out the block the slighest bit? sure if you have bottomless pockets.... but you can make tons of power other places for a lot less cash
Thanks for the info.....and welcome to EvoM!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

this is a boring thread
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Most ralliart threads are