Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Possible CryO2 application!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible CryO2 application!!

hi there all I just want is to discuss an idea I have. it seems our throttle body has two water lines attach to it, my reasoning tells me this is for warming up the throttle body when in cold climate. If we have a CAI or a SRI when the car is warm these lines would still heat up the TB reducing power. Can we disconnect these lines and recirculate them so that we can use a CRYO2 kit like this one cryo2kit
and pass that cryO2 cooling effect thru this lines and we will obtain good gains from this.!!!

Oh and BTW here is the assembly photo borrowed it from another thread
[ATTACH]throttle body assembly[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Possible CryO2 application!!-ahhwhatever.gif  
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would worry that chilling the throttle body would make it brittle. I would think you could disconnect the cooling lines then put a phenolic spacer in there, but I would do more homework before trying it.

Edit, I misunderstood. Thought you wanted to route a gas coolant through the throttle body ports.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

i thought cryo 2 was only injected thru your air filter to cool down the filter
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

CRYO2 is used to spray directly to surfaces such as intake pipes and intercoolers so freeze them or cool them and therefore obtain a better intake temperature. CRYO2 is not a fuel and is never sprayed in to the intake air stream nor the fuel is is only used for cooling purposes. If coolant passes thru the lines in the throttle body it means the stock gasket can withstand at least 20 + psi the CRYO2 is not used in closed enviroments it is sprayed directly into stuff and vented t oatmosphere therefore we can inject CRYO2 into one of the lines and run a rubber band to the bottom of the car tu dump the waste
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

that is a lot of money for a depletable resource, you could probably accomplish more power with n02 for around the same price, especially in the long run. Unless, of course, you buy a compressor and fill your own bottles.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
using the same line of thinking...

you can cut the coolant feed to the tbody and instead of chilling the tbody alone you can redirect the chill to the intake manifold... i would think this more beneficial than to chilling the tbody alone...

but overall is a great idea that us here in the heat can look unpon it
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

So why not redo the entire cooling system? This DEPLETABLE resource would be excellent for the track, but what are the limits?

Which are you trying to build, migueralliart, a track car or a daily driver? And if this is for the track I ask again, with the additional weight gain would it not be more beneficial to go to a nitrous setup?

Even if you apply both systems, which doubles the weight of a single N2O or cryO2 setup, would the power gained on a NA car be worth the weight (obviously the N2O is a yes, I'm asking about the cryO2)?

In a FI setup, which is what the cryO2 system was designed for, the IAT's are dramatically higher than in a NA setup and this cryO2 system will provide an advantage when applied properly(IC and Intake.) The lower the ambient temperature the less this cry02 system will lower the IAT's. I am not debating that it will make a difference, only that N2O may be a better route to explore for a NA setup.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

and no, I don't qualify N2O as FI in this instance, due to the fact that it won't raise IAT's.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well as a matter of fact it would make a hell lot of different cause I live in PR and here the average temps are 95 F almost from 10:00am- 5:00pm again if you are in the US is not the same way. Well in the lower states it's a little different story. Somewhere in the web I saw a test of the CRYO2 system used on the intake of a N/A car I believe it was a RSX and it gained a mere WHP 17HP so if you ask me 17 HP for 300 buck is a nice deal and the CO2 is A LOT cheaper than the NOS
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

been a while lol... from what I remember someone explained that cry o2 is dangerous for engines, because.... It's basically like throwing Ice in hot water, it lowers the intake temprature, but the rapid heat up could make the metal engine parts less durable.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Colder air doesn't make more power, it's denser air (which is cold) that makes more power. I'm not sure whether this would work since if you cool the air after it's already passed through the MAF you're effectively just condensing a set amount of air, which doesn't result in more air being present. The advantage of cooling before it enters the MAF is the engine sees there is more air present, adds more fuel and thus you get more power. Not sure whether this is a realistic concern, feel free to correct if it's just crap.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

i personally thought about this kit but the depenaabity of co2 in a sri intake tube could case some damange since cooling and then rapanadly heating it back up can cause some probelms physics 101 right there
Old Mar 31, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Colder air doesn't make more power, it's denser air (which is cold) that makes more power. I'm not sure whether this would work since if you cool the air after it's already passed through the MAF you're effectively just condensing a set amount of air, which doesn't result in more air being present. The advantage of cooling before it enters the MAF is the engine sees there is more air present, adds more fuel and thus you get more power. Not sure whether this is a realistic concern, feel free to correct if it's just crap.

this makes lot's of sense. is this actual or theoretical? who knows for sure?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

wouldn't cooling it after the maf create a vacuum effect in the intake tube, pulling in more air anyay though? if this is the case the maf would see an increase in air. also, if the air was more condensed would you still not get more air in the combustion chamber at once, no matter where the air was condensed in the system? you can tune for the correct afr even without the maf seeing more air, also, as the maf is defeated in at least one custom turbo in PR. So it seams I read too quickly the first time then?