Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Cylinder Head project !!!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool stuff migue, I'm curious to see how much low end you'll have left hehe. As always...... keep us posted with pics and stories!
Old May 15, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Migue, sounds like a great project to start off with. I will be soon following what you did after you post up your results. From what was said in this thread before was that the Galant head fits our car? The 2.4L one i'm assuming? Also you mentioned that the Eclipse one doesn't work as well due to a different size/shape. My friend, who works on 4G63's a lot (DSM specifically and a G-VR4) said that the Evo head, with minor modification of how the oil flow shaft and other portions would work as well, i would take his word on this except for the fact that our car is a 2.4L which makes me thing otherwise. Could you please confirm this? I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, but i'm learning and your progress thread has been a great help, thanks!
-Lee
Old May 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Ok just to clarify stuff, our engine is the 4G69 and is mivec 2.4 , the only engine completely IDENTICAL is the one from an outlander mivec 2004 +. But the engine from the galant and I believe the eclipse is a GDI which is a direct injection but the cyl head is the same. I am not sure about the eclipse but I think its almost the same. The only difference will be the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. So if you are planning on following my project you should buy a galant,outlander or ralliart cyl head from a 2004+ model 2.4 mivec..
Evo heads I really don't know but they are DOHC I never tryed those swaps and are not interested I like the simplicity of our SOHC and the torque of a single cam....

To the guy worried about the LOW END torque....
Low end torque can be recompensated by a lot of ways... Using higher compression ratios by (milling the head, new pistons, advancing timing) so don't be worried about low end torque cause in the end when you hit 3500 rpms the CAI, ported intake manifold ported intake ports on the cyl head,camshaft, ported exhaust ports, and a header will remind you that its christmast again hehehe
Old May 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

The base 06 Eclipse also features the 4g69, so the head is also the same.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:44 PM

ya i didnt think that the eclipse or galant head were any different. And if they were GDI, which i doubt,o the head wuld definatley be different.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Well it'w now cleared up the cyl heads from eclipse and galant works but their intake manifolds wont
Old May 15, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Any pics on the camshaft migue?

Look at my thread, took photos of the camshaft!
Old May 15, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

no man it hasn't arrived yet as soon as it arrives will take pics, you on msn right now that's a command hehehe
Old May 18, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Ok people I wont receive the cyl head nor the camshaft until next week. SO I decided to keep my self busy and ordered an intake manifold and started painting the valve cover here are the pics.. BTW the MIVEC letters will be polished

Old May 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks nice......keep it up and keep those pix rollin off the presses.....
Old May 27, 2007, 06:04 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

Wow, things have been quiet for a while, any updates?
Old May 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, update yo!
Old May 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

MIG--Im curious if you've looked into molybdenum coatings?

Also, are you doing any lower end work? I believe you'd be able to heat-treat your rods in your own oven, but I'm sure you know this. I did do some tensile testing experiments with 6063 aluminum. Non heat treated metal definately has quite a lower tensile strength. The samples I cut were in a dogbone shape and pulled with high end instrumentation. When a sample was heat treated twice, the material became more mallible, which is bad of course.

Kudos from me to you on your project! Something gives me the hunch you're really a sbc guy!
Old May 27, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for not updating I was in Hawaii this week and couldn't get to the machine shop. I have a spare engine in my house and already thought of that. As for heat treatments;
Our rods and pistons are pretty strong for our cars, Since my goal is 250 WHP on a N/A car I am gonna need some high compression pistons (maybe 10ish:1) so that if later on I want to go turbo I still have some space for impprovement I already took care of this and sent a mold of my combustion chamber and a used piston to make then forged . As for the rods, now that they are sitting there I was thinking of sending them to do cryogenics to stress relieve them and after that coat them with the dryfilm lubricant I am gonna use for the side skirts and for the valve springs. You heat treaT metals by heating them up to a certain yield point and then cooling them in steps so that the structure of the alloy reinforce itself. My oven can't cool down in steps and that means I will have to step and wait for the hours to pass by and do that .(not so motivating) but anyway the pistons that I will order will be coated in ceramic (the tops) so that not all the heat will transfer to the alloy. As for all of you in need of pistons I told the guys to retain a copy of my molds so that if somebody wanted to order some pistons they will be available to choose in any compression you want...
Old May 29, 2007, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

With 10:1 compression, what Octane will you be drinking?

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head project !!!