Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

RPW - Camshaft & Cam Gear & Retune!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah that 6:07pm is EST it is now 6:17pm WST... hurry up I have to work tonight...
Old May 28, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be awesome man, can't wait to hear what its like to drive
(and loved the photos under the bridge, they were very well done)
Old May 28, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

so it's like 11 pm now? Did you pick it up?

Yep, an inertia dyno may give him 200+whp, but he is tuning on an eddy current dyno. Two things - one, he will have no problems with the tune once his car hits the street; and two, his numbers will be 10 to 20% less than those coming from an inertia dyno. A search of inertia dyno and eddy current dyno will give you a plethora of information for those who are confused still. I know mitVRX is probably pretty clear on the subject by now
Old May 28, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Update:

Okay, so the moment you all have been waiting for. Yes it was a very anticipated wait, and I was just as anxious as you all were, but now with results finally on hand, here you all are, the results for the: Camshaft + cam gear installation and retune

Let me just give you a quick run-down of what went down before the results (once again)

Install
-RPW Camshaft (S2)
-RPW Cam Gear

Dyno
-Retune of Haltech Interceptor ECU
-Adjust Cam Gear

Comparison
-Current tune
-Cam + Cam Gear Installed w/out Tune
-Cam + Cam Gear Installed w/ Tune

Tune
-Tuned to 100 RON Fuel
-More fuel at Mivec

Previous Modifications before tuning
-Can be found in my signature at the bottom

Okay, enough with the pepp talk! All of you want to see results, well here you have it

RESULTS

-Take a look at the right graph.
-Keep in mind, this is quoted in "kw" and not "hp". Never fear, I have done all the converting for you!

1. The first red line you see, is the current tune.
2. The second red line you see, is the camshaft and cam gear installed without a tune.
3. The very top line you see in dark blue, thats the camshaft and cam gear with a tune.

Notice the power differences from each level have increased significantly. This should give an idea of anyone wanting a camshaft of the types of increases in power and torque with each stage.

The end result is: 150whp > 170whp.

The next following result shows extra power given with one last effort on the dyno. She topped out at 173whp.

Final Result: 23WHP GAIN

REVIEW

Now let me explain a few pointers.

Dyno:
As mentioned before, its a hub dyno. Hub dyno's in theory are more accurate than roller dynos. If this was a roller dyno, the results I have shown you above would be exactly around 210-216whp. Thats a 20-25% increase if it were dyno'd on a roller. The reason I say 20%-25% increase is because from various searches, that seems to be the correct percentage to quote in terms of differences in power when comparing a Hub vs Roller dyno.

Idle:
When I first started her up everything was great, idle was instantly impressive. Well-behaved at 650-700rpm, I couldn't complain. Considering the cams being installed, I thought idle would reach about 900-1000rpm. However, let me add that you do hear a little cabin noise, like a rough idle but its nothing thats going to drive you insane.

Clutch:
The stock clutch on the other hand felt a bit "loose". Didn't feel as spongy as before prior to the install, and I feel as though the cams contributed much to the new feel. It felt like I needed a new clutch (maybe I do ) because I was applying more friction than usual to the clutch. I guess thats considered normal with an aggressive cam profile. Clutch is probably next on the list for those hard launches!

Performance:
First of all, as you all know I went in with the intention of obtaining absolutely more torque than ever! Oh and did I get it - yes I did! The torque delivery is very impressive. At around 3500-4000rpm, the cams have opened up and the aggressive profile has blasted right over. You'll find torque throughout the entire rev-range and the delivery is very very punchy!

On a rolling start, let me just say the car is not to be reckoned with. It will launch so bad out of a rolling start you'll wonder what the hell just happened. It's a mivec-rocket and when you get this setup, you'll know exactly what I mean.

When opening her up on a straight road, the power to wheels is gear after gear after gear. I only have to tap on the accelerator to feel the cams ready to do its thing.

The car feels completely new. It's more faster, meaner and powerful than ever before. This new setup has given the experience of driving a N/A RA a new meaning.

So for everyone wanting to look at getting a camshaft, this is probably the best modification I have to date. Of course with the complimentary of the existing mods, this wouldn't have happened, but with a good tuner, existing modifications and patience, you will not regret this modification whatsoever. I'm rating it a 10/10. I'll probably start taking some numbers off if gas/mileage turns ugly

Acknowledgement:

Dave from RPW - Who gave me the opportunity to beta test the cams. Thanks!
Scott from Haltech - Thanks for your support! Educating me!
Jim and Tony from Tunehouse - What a great bunch you two are! Thanks for all your hard work and patience with me!
Evom - For all your patience. Thanks to those who have listened and educated me during my wait, you know who you are. I know it has been very much anticipated, but a wait surely worth the while!

are on me!

Last edited by MITVRX; May 28, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:27 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NICE NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!You have just contributed to me falling more into debt.....over 20whp in gains ooooo chills down my back...maybe you could do a vid??keep us posted bro....
Old May 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Fantastic results there a 20hp atw gain from the cam and the torque is fantastic... I bet that pushes you back into the seat now...

I can't see the fuel economy turning ugly unless you drive in the mivec zone all day everyday....

The rattling/noise that you may be hearing is actually normal as the other internals will need to wear in/adjust due to the new cam this should take about 1000klm then after your next oil change you may go back and get them to check out the tappets and make any adjustments - very minor work

The good thing about this is that the cam is making power all the way thru to redline which is what we needed to see..

congratulations on being the first to install a RPW cam...
Old May 28, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks haha!

I just have a great smile on my face! And yes Christine, it does put me back in the seat, more so on a 2nd, 3rd gear roll!

As mentioned previously I said the tuner wanted to give the car alot of punch at the start, and I can clearly see he has done that!

Wait till Dave hears about this tomorrow

Last edited by MITVRX; May 28, 2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

wooo!! great results cheers for another really Fast N/a!! now we needs VIDS!!! I want to hear that beast!!
Old May 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Hows it sounds at WOT? haha

Looks like i might have to import some parts after all...
Old May 28, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

COngrats mate now you just need a ported cyl head and intake manifold and you will be hitting 250whp
Old May 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Vids@!!
Old May 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Congratulations on the result, very impressed. This camshaft was the first of our prototypes and as can be seen worked great .For those that don't know, this profile runs the stock intake lobes of the factory mivec camshaft on both low and high rpm. The only change was to the exhaust lobes which had more duration and more lift added.

This way we were able to retain stockish idle, but of course have the effect of making the camshaft larger and not having to best of all, change valve springs.

There is for this camshaft design, a lot of different ways we can customise the camshaft, especially because they are new billets,

Now that we know it works, we will start producing these camshafts now in bulk. The stage 1 profile is nearly identical to this stage 2 camshaft, but slightly smaller on the exhaust lift/duration so we will basicaly make the stage 1 more for the automatic vheicles / vehicles that do not want tuning.

Thanks to our client who took the risk of trying a new product. I will update this information up to our website for all future customers.
Old May 28, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

WOT - the sound is awesome! It has a nice deep tone, then a roar and then it feels like its roaring much harder because of the top end!

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Looks like i might have to import some parts after all...
I have no doubt in this mod from RPW! Get it now

Originally Posted by migueralliart
COngrats mate now you just need a ported cyl head and intake manifold and you will be hitting 250whp
Yep, but I think modding will be stopped for a while (rims are still on the way though). I do need to start saving again. Probably next will either be suspension or heavy duty clutch!

Originally Posted by stEVOx
Vids@!!
Yes, I'll get vids for you all, just not yet, sometime in the next week or two
Old May 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

So awesome! Great work RPW etc. !!
Old May 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

So just a bit of driving here and there, but nothing until today because today I finally got my full drivers license (meaning more points), therefore I wasn't really worried about opening her up!

So took her for a spin, and if you look at the torque delivery on the above dyno chart, low-mid torque is nuts. I'm not exactly sure when I make sure when I say this (because I haven't really had the time to test the true performance as yet) but with my previous tune, I had a smoother torque curve. With this new tune, the torque curve is not as smooth, yet more, noticeable. I haven't had the chance to check top-end but I really did like top end on the last tune, amazing.

Well, I was cruising through traffic today and let me tell you this - getting off the line has never been so easy. When going WOT (haven't had many chances yet), the roar from the 2.4L demonstrates authority on the road ( ) - I've driven mates Honda's and I'm not too sure their V-tec can get a roar like this

I had both windows down and I was like "**** this is loud! Omg, hit the gas more! Woo!"

I also noticed another thing, the wheel hop has honestly almost disappeared. It's weird I know, but it feels like when I down-shift, there is no more "rocking" from the engine. I mean, there is - but it seems very very minimal. I'm not sure if its cams related, but it makes the driving experience more smoother through the gears.

Last edited by MITVRX; May 29, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: RPW - Camshaft & Cam Gear & Retune!