Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

RIP Tranny: 9/22/04 - 8/7/07

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealerships get you in the ****. Like senate said, its much cheaper then 5k.
Find a quality shop or find one on the forums to help you out.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
Damn, those tranny news are othing new here. A good part of the guys here who have a couple mods are breaking trannys, whereas the guys with heavy mods, turbo or nitrous are not having issues...how damn strange
So you're saying.. if i turbo my car my tranny life x2? haha I like that concept.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
BAD NEWS

It's not my clutch, Mitsubishi said my clutch was fine, it was my tranmission, its DONE. I broke the tranmission axle or the drivetrain axle, I can't remember exactly what he said. Also my gears chewed and snap. Damage = 4 - 5k

So, she is done, I dont have 5k on me and if I did, I wouldnt put it into her. She was just never the same after my accident last year,

Time to sobb,

Mitsubishi offer to have me trade her in and put me into a new GTS and I refused, I rather have a ralliart, just my personal opinion.
Obviously that blows Buy up that used tranny below and throw it in. If the gears are chewed, then I bet your drive axles are fine. $700 + install and you should be good for under $1200.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

OMG, you guys are the best! The dealership is scaring the hell out of me, they called me about 30mins ago and told me total cost of everything (brand new) is gonna run me $8437, I nearly had a heart attack!!!

I drop my phone and said "life... sucks!"

Also they said I chew up my gears or something or they snap? WTF does that mean?
Originally Posted by bluebyu36
dam bro that sux but you have a g35 so your good to go...
Yes and no.

It's not mine anymore, after my lil street racing habit got out of hand early last year, my mom took it away, which is understandable. I still drive it every now and than though, but not as much as I would like too.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

You think $85/hour is bad at your mitsu dealer. $105/hour here in hawaii. The guys at the service counter even told me to stay away from the dealer. how bad is that?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW the dealership is trying to rape you in the face. Here is what I would do. Depending on your wallat... Used tranny and axles... 800-1000 together. Clutch/flywheel combo (need an upgrade brotha!) 1000. Labor.... eh who knows depends where you go. If money is an issue, than dont go aftermarket, get OEM from the site otter helped you out with. Dont let anybody who works for the dealership TOUCH your car unless its free under warranty.

My experience... there are TON of ralliarts in junk yards. Even if a local one dont have one, they have a computer that'll tell u theres a ralliart right down the street. My axle was 110 dollars when I got it replaced from the junk yard. Not sure about labor, but I know it cost about 250 to have a clutch/flywheel replaced from a friend who works at a speedshop.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:51 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow that sucks man. Definitely go used and don't let the dealership touch it. If you were in Oregon I could recommend a good shop, I'm sure there is one down there that will be MORE than glad to take your money for much less than Mitsu would. The good news here is there isn't a whole hell of a lot to screw up down there. Any grease monkey should be able to pull it off, so someone hurting for cash should be able to figure it out with the Mitsu service guides.

Just buy used and get her fixed. You'll be up and running in no time. Also if you DO decide to change your clutch, you might want to consider changing your master cylinder and pilot bearing as well. That way you'll have a completely new clutch no questions asked. Let us know what you do! (you could always part out your RA, but that's lame. Just fix it)

Side question: What is a good mileage to change clutches?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, this is weird, I thought my clutch went out too... so I found a brand new RRM clutch on eBay dirt cheap ($200) and took it to the dealer. They quoted me at $550 for the install at 6.5hrs of labor. I figured what the hell...

They call me about 4hrs later and tell me that the clutch is good at about 75% but my tranny is hosed! I have about 75,000 miles on it with about 35,000 being with turbo (only about 15,000 on the clutch).

So I go down there to check it out and talk to the service manager. He said he could get me a NEW tranny at a 20% discount for $2750 and labor would be free because they already had to drop it anyway to get at the clutch. So, I swapped out the clutch and got a brand new tranny.

Now he did say that they can only warranty it for 30 days due to my "aftermarket setup". BTW, the service rep said I had the nicest aftermarket turbo setup he's every seen in a Lancer. Thanks RRM!!!

So, that's $2750 + $550 = $3300
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:33 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
OMG, you guys are the best! The dealership is scaring the hell out of me, they called me about 30mins ago and told me total cost of everything (brand new) is gonna run me $8437, I nearly had a heart attack!!!

I drop my phone and said "life... sucks!"

Also they said I chew up my gears or something or they snap? WTF does that mean?
It sounds to me like you broke either the input or output shaft on the transmission. If that happened, then the gears would be "sent flying" inside the trans case. Seeing two higher mileage trans break is worrying me, too.

Last edited by otter; Aug 8, 2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

I just bought my RA with 45k on it. It is stock so I hope the person who had it before me was gentle to it. I'll baby the hell out of mine. Luckily I know how to change transmissions. I'll just do the grease monkey work myself... maybe. I say bring it on :-p
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Tranny pulls aint hard on the RA, you only have to be careful of not hitting the power steering lines with the diferential housing, since maybe you will have to swing the tranny a lil bit for it to come apart from the engine.

But any DIY fan can do it, provided you have the tools and proper torque specs for tranny up time

Took me and a buddy around 6 hours... and thats counting going to the dealer to know the torque specs
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Wow 6 hours isn't bad for not having it on a lift and have doing a tranny in a ralliart before. Why did you already replace your RA Transmission if it's an 05 though?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Clutch....I have a mission to rape all clutches
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

So to avoid getting my tranny jacked by screwing my clutch, when is a good mileage to change my clutch?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by migs647
So to avoid getting my tranny jacked by screwing my clutch, when is a good mileage to change my clutch?
What happened to Arithmetic had nothing to do with the clutch. Really, there's no way to avoid that other than avoiding launches and shifting properly. Even then, if a fatigue crack starts due to poor materials or manufacturing, there's nothing you can do to prevent it.