Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Cel - Sri/im (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cel - Sri/im (merged)

so i have the rrm sri, intake manifold, headers, downpipe and magnaflow catback exhaust installed and loving it. And i also have the clutch flywheel, and underdrive pulley from rrm. So performance wise, wat kind of gains would i be looking at if got the ecu from rrm?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

none at all. you would need to do some research on piggyback controllers in general before I would recommend buying one. you can just wire it up, but there is much more involved in fuel management than plug and play. do you have a wideband 02 sensor?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

well the rrm ecu is pre-programed, so i believe it is just a plus and play. any1 know what im talking about, and could give me some gain advice.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

that's why I told you to research more. There is no such thing as "plug and play" with fuel management. The BASE map that RRM supplies is strictly a starting point. Every car is different, and while yours may be safe on the base map it is not tuned for your car and therefor may cause unsafe AFR's. before you go slapping this on your car you need to do some research.

ask specific questions and I will try and help you, but I'm not gonna explain the basics so do a little research. There are quite a few threads on here and some pretty good reading on RRM's website for you.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

well wat i was led to believe is that the ecu, plugs directly into the ecu with 6 wires, 2 which need to be spliced. and when installed you should let the car idle for about 10 mins...and then drive the car around for another 20 mins so that the ecu adapts to the car. when this occurs, the ecu will take advantage of the fuel curves mainly through the upgrades you are already have installed. is this correct?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

no, the ecu does not adapt to the car. it has to be tuned. even the weather will affect your tune, it's the features of the piggyback that allow you to compensate for this.

in the case of the RRM NA piggyback you can only modify the MAF signal, and only monitor RPM. it is the simplest of all the possible piggyback solutions, and is a very effective unit. The simplicity makes it an excellent tool for the beginning modder, and when you understand the concepts yourself and are able to tune you will never have to worry about peak performance from your engine, at least as far as fuel is concerned.

A more advanced unit, such as the SMT-6 or MAP2ECU, requires you to do all the setup and begin a base tune from scratch. the setup is difficult because cars use all kinds of different sensors, and this is part of the reason that our choices are limited. Programming a universal unit involves alot more than just splicing into a few wires. The benefits to this unit expand well beyond the realm of bolt ons, the stock ecu is pretty efficient already, so unless you are considering a major engine rebuild or a custom turbo kit you are better of keeping it simple.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

well with the road/race piggy back ecu, wat needs to be done to make it perform properly? does it have to be tuned when it is installed considering that road race already programs there piggy back ecu's?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

............more reading less questions. I promise, it will all come together if you follow my advice. At the very least you should have already read the utune.pdf file.

do you know what a wideband o2 sensor is used for, and do you know what AFR means? I'm trying to help, but the questions you ask make it sound like you don't understand the concept. In this case the concept is what's important, not the unit itself. until you understand the concept you should purchase the piggyback and go to the dyno to have them tune it.

I already explained RRM's base tune in post #4 of this thread

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
There is no such thing as "plug and play" with fuel management. The BASE map that RRM supplies is strictly a starting point. Every car is different, and while yours may be safe on the base map it is not tuned for your car and therefor may cause unsafe AFR's.
In other words at the very least you need to take a trip to a dyno to verify your AFR's are safe with the BASE tune, and if you have an extra couple of dollars let them tune the piggyback to get the most from it.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

yeh air fuel ratio. so basically, my best bet would be 2 get the piggy back installed somewhere respectable with a dyno, n let them take care of everything.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Cel - Sri/im

after i installed my sri and intake manifold, less 100 miles of driving later my check engine light turned on and i immediatley did a diagnostic check and found out that the reason is my car is running too lean due to the upgrades im assuming...any advice anyone?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

look, i got the RRM piggy and there is a slight difference, but as dan is saying, it is a BASE/start point, and then you/tuner has to tune it
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it will give you gains, but if you want to maximize those gains based on your modifications, then by all means, tune it!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flybyjs130
yeh air fuel ratio. so basically, my best bet would be 2 get the piggy back installed somewhere respectable with a dyno, n let them take care of everything.
yes, in your case this would appear to be the best bet
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

you need a tune. I hope you read all the threads that you bumped earlier this morning there are lot's more with good information, so keep going.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

well i have another question guys, i have a afc neo controller, never installed...still in the box. would it suit the same purpose as the piggyback ecu if i get my car dynoed and tuned. basically if i already purchased the afc neo, should i just you that to get my car tuned, or should i purchase the piggyback ecu as well?

Quick Reply: Cel - Sri/im (merged)