Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

ECU went into Safe Mode?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ECU went into Safe Mode?

First off, believe me, I searched... about 30mins last night, another 15 today before I ran out of key words to use.

I've never had any issues with this car at all.

I was in some backstreets and I don't really know the roads there that well (looking for new backstreets on my way home) and as I rolled off the stop there was bump in the road that I didn't see so I took my foot off the gas and when I went to push in the clutch there was another bump that caused me to slip it out all the way.

I pushed the clutch back in real quick to keep the car from stalling and I thought I didn't push it in on time because I couldn't hear the engine but the rpms were still at about 600-700 or so. I blipped the gas and nothing. I turned the car off and turned it back on and it started just fine, blipped the gas again and nothing. I pushed the gas in more and the needle barely moved.

I threw it in first, pushed the gas about 75% of the way to get the needle to move and started to drive. I was flooring it but barely moving and the engine would redline at 3k rpm. Drove home all the way, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery cable, turned it back on, let it idle for 10 mins and everything was back to normal.

Drove to work this morning and it was fine didn't notice anything wrong.

Anyone have an idea as to why this happened?

I wasn't driving fast at all, I rarely drive past 3.5k rpms unless I'm on the FWY and I had my girl and daughter in the car at the time and wasn't driving fast at all the whole day.

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very odd yet very vague at the same time.... let us know if the problem comes back and how it came back if it does.. hopefully it doesnt...
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like you need to have the code pulled... wait, you reset the ECU. maybe it's still resident, but I don't think so
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a stall problem though. when you stall the car all kinds of crap goes wrong as far as the ecu can tell. it doesn't explain your 6-700 rpms and no engine noise (unless it was started and you couldn't hear it) but I would be willing to bet that it(ecu) was the cause of your limp mode, not something wrong with your car.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

limp mode, that's one key phrase I forgot to search for. I found a thread about someone else having this issue (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=limp+mode) but most of it is random chit chat amongst posters.

I did find this from KreepaEvoX "A lean condition.. Random Misfire = limp mode"

The reason I cleared out the ECU was because I needed to come to work today and I had a feeling it would work. Next time this happens (hopefully it doesn't) I'm going to leave it that way and see if I can get the code pulled. I think I can drive without going over 3k rpm.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, def pull the code but I think your a-ok man.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

this might sound far off but....... if the hole you ran through had water in it u could of sucked it up and got some water in the engine, happend to me before in my galant, i hit a small puddle, and my car limped all the way home and then the next day worked fine like nothing happend.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I thought about that too but there was no water anywhere (I live in Riverside California and it hasn't rained for a long time). I even got out of my car and checked.

I'm getting ready to custom make a short ram intake for this winter.

I'm thinking I did something to make the computer think the engine operating conditions were unsafe? So it went into limp mode? Hence the reset of the ECU made it go back to normal. I don't know!

I got this car with 64k miles and I already put 3k on it, just changed my oil 15 mins ago and I haven't had any issues except that one posted here.

If anyone out there knows why it would do this, please let me know as I'm still curious. For now, it seems as if it's A-Okay as dan said.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, you didn't mention that you only had the car for 3000 miles though. I would keep an ear and eye out for problems, especially because the car is new to you. I still think it was due to the stall though, but I wasn't there.