Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Map Ecu2

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map Ecu2

Getting ready to go install the new piggyback in learn mode. I will take out the MAF sensor next weekend and tune the car a little

It shouldn't take me too long, I'm pretty familiar with the wires down there at this point I figure an hour or so total and a trip to the autoparts store beforehand. I'll post up later

wish me luck!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

thats awesome dan when you do get that turbo installed in your free time you can build a custom map with no maf, which means no more diverter valves!!! I might switch my FTC-1 to Map ECU2 so I can run the HKS bov's in the future

Good luck Dan!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the good news is that everything is hooked up and the car is running normally. I ran out of time tonight, and haven't really figured our the software yet, so I will know more tomorrow.

The RPM's are reading correctly, and the unit is intercepting the ignition signals just fine. The KVF input was not registering when I last had the laptop hooked up to it. I did not read the diagrahm carefully enough the first time though, and have since hooked up the second ground wire I will put the laptop on it first thing in the morning and set it to learn mode, see what I come up with

The software is pretty simple overall, and the unit is very customizable. I am definitely planning on messing with the RPM switch for the oil control valve, and may have to use the Fuel Cut Defender (FCD) if the MAP sensor doesn't like boost

The best part is that the unit will let me get rid of the MAF sensor all together. That means bigger pipe is possible for NA or turbo, and that you really do have a choice between recirc and VTA bov

It will also (and yeah I am not really digging the fact that it's so easy) let you defeat the catalytic converter without a CEL from the rear O2 sensor. It has a thing called O2 adjust, where it will offset the voltage read from the sensor by X.XX amount. You just have to get it to show the correct voltage from where it is, and the CEL goes away

I am at the beginning stages of this install, and it's not doing anything but monitoring a bunch of signals (actually replicating the ignitor signals itself) because I haven't changed the timing or replaced the MAF signal. I still have to install the IAT sensor, which is not necessary for learning mode, and buy a 2200ohm resistor for the factory IAT circuit.

Overall I am very pleased and even a little confident so far. I am looking forward to the dyno even more now
Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

awesome Dan, sounds like you're having fun!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Kool, let us know if you can eliminate the MAF , without having any issues, and if you can TUNE timing and Fuel maps, without having any problems

I know this work, but I never seen one in a Ralliart, and because of the ralliart having problems with things that works on other cars I HOPE THIS WORKS

let us know!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

All my research points to it working correctly, and after my last failure I did many more hours of research on this unit. they have a very informative forum on their website mapecu.com

I am getting ready to go out there now and hook the laptop up to it. Maybe I can get it into learn mode and watch it build my base map
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it's in learn mode in MAF (0-5v) mode. Something is fishy, see this thread

I haven't gone for a drive, but everything is functioning as it should. Values are getting written into the empty cells, so after a few days of driving I should have the stock MAF map stored

See also this thread concerning the SMT-6 and fuel control with the MAF sensor.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

here are the beginnings of my learning mode maps. you can edit it in either graph or table mode.

Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

good work man, did u also plug in a wideband to the ecu2, any comment, can you jsut plug iin a bosch sensor w/o the control unit and still get good resolution?

good luck
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have not hooked up the o2 feed like I want to yet. I will connect the wideband and the narrowband signals from my lc-1 controller, and use the o2 adjust feature to adjust my fuel trims in closed loop. you have to use the controller, but the unit is configured with most of the name brand wb's. also, the mapecu forum is very helpful, and if your wb outputs are programmable like they are on the lc-1 you just need to get with the tech guy on their forum and he will tell you what to set it to and what .o2 file to use
Old Nov 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I had it pull 30* of timing to see how the car would act. seems like it worked just fine to me. the car would idle real crappy, didn't have much vacuum, and wouldn't rev up. perfect!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

any NEWS!?!?!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg you did it dan!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

**** no, godamn MAF is screwing with me. not sure how this will turn out, can't get any response in KVF mode (karmen) and MAF mode (voltage) runs the car but everything is messed up. the voltage when monitored in maf mode will slowly creep to 2.47 on the display, which means it's averaging to that from a 5volt square wave, kvf. I am on their forum trying to get some answers, but it will take awhile. I would imagine this is the same reason RRM had to work directly with split second to get a piggy for our cars
Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

yep, I was right. split second was able to help me, but I had to be brought to the inner circle and you know what that means. if you don't, it means I can't tell you what they told me

keep looking, and someone try contacting the shop in the piggyback options thread so we can get this information public.

If I get this thing working I will tell you the how but not the why. I'm trying to be cool and honor what I said, but I won't hold it from the community if we have other options out there.

Quick Reply: Map Ecu2