Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

dual pipe question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual pipe question

hey guys just curious if anyone has put on a two pipe/muffler axelback setup on the RA, i like the look of two mufflers but would their be a power loss?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

yes, power loss
Old Jan 5, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

it depends on how you do it. if you just run two tailpipes from your muffler then there would be little to no difference. if you don't combine your exhaust pulses from the header it will run like crap though, so doing it any other way would have to be done with proper exhaust design in mind.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 with Dan. Look at the SRT4 set up. They use 1 muffler with 2 outlets if I remember right . Also look at the 94-98 camaros. They use it.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

There another guy I know was the first to attempt a dual exhaust on the new lancer 08 before me, but he attempted to do a exhaust build in the Y pipe form from the downpipe. It sounded pretty good, but on the dyno the power was comprimised especially the low end. The exhaust flow is just not efficent in that setup. As mentioned above, doing it from the header is the true way to do a dual exhaust, its generally best for V6 Engines. The only way to go is as explained above with a single canister dual outlet option.

But careful planning should be done to figure out what size inlet and outlets are used and also the size of the canister will affect performance. An experienced exhaust shop will have good insite. ask around and get input from people who have custom jobs, ask them about the good bad and ugly of the experience.

My dual exhaust system is for the 08 Lancer on youtube, so i cant provide too much inside exactly on the RA spec, but if you have more generation questions you can PM me.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jan 6, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Lancer and dual exhaust dont match...just plain ugly and pretty pointless
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

ok one more question. i wanna get my car louder than it is, but i dont want to have the fart can honda sound. i have a magnaflow axelback, i was thinking if anyones droped the resonator for added sound? whats it sound like?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

its a 4-banger.. its tough to get rid of the honda fart can sound. I have the RRM downpipe/catback and it has the fart can sound when the exhaust is cold. It has a VERY raspy tone when warmed up and its loud as hell. As in you can hear me at full throttle prob like 1/4 mile away... haha
Old Jan 7, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

the bigger the muffler the deeper the sound will be. I have a 30" magnaflow muffler (3" ID) and it sounds awesome. this is with the cherry bomb muffler (burnt out fiberglass makes this a resonator), HFC, and RRM's first gen DP. removing a resonator will make it more raspy.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce988jl
its a 4-banger.. its tough to get rid of the honda fart can sound. I have the RRM downpipe/catback and it has the fart can sound when the exhaust is cold. It has a VERY raspy tone when warmed up and its loud as hell. As in you can hear me at full throttle prob like 1/4 mile away... haha
I have RRM intake, headers, downpipe, and a high flow cat that I got put in, I'm using the stock muffler and it sounds REAL nice if I don't say so myself.

At first I had the raspy sound but it was because I had an exhaust leak and when that got fixed..let me tell you, it sounds pretty deep and real nice.

I could only hear the raspyness when it's cold and even then you have to listen for it.

When it's warmed up, WOT or not, it sounds deep and nice. I'll see if I can get some sound clips soon.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

dual pipe = loss power
dual mufflers = more sound
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
the bigger the muffler the deeper the sound will be. I have a 30" magnaflow muffler (3" ID) and it sounds awesome. this is with the cherry bomb muffler (burnt out fiberglass makes this a resonator), HFC, and RRM's first gen DP. removing a resonator will make it more raspy.
it sounds like yours is all custom, would it be possible to get some links to some of the stuff you mentioned like the muffler
Old Jan 25, 2008, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RarStlzLncr
dual pipe = loss power
dual mufflers = more sound

Although it is not a complete 100% fact in the sense of a 4 cyl. the general logic is that a dual pipe system will lead to loss of power. The more sound from two mufflers doesnt equal good sound. a single canister approached as i mentioned earlier can deal with maintaining TQ and deleiver a quality sound.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gun_Strife
it sounds like yours is all custom, would it be possible to get some links to some of the stuff you mentioned like the muffler
I searched all over the internet until I came up with good prices. figure out what you want by going to the manufacturers website and then google the part number. voila, instant discount