Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ported throttle body discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008 | 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

So if this is true I'm going to go part shopping at a neighborhood pick a part place for a 3.8L tb and endeaver tb and go from there I will keep you guys posted if those work or doesn't work or I will order the proflow unit . But any overbored tb even if its 2.5mm bigger with give you advantage with top end gains not matter what size it is over stock .
Old May 5, 2008 | 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

So if this is true I'm going to go part shopping at a neighborhood pick a part place for a 3.8L tb and endeaver tb and go from there I will keep you guys posted if those work or doesn't work or I will order the proflow unit . But any overbored tb even if its 2.5mm bigger with give you advantage with top end gains .
Old May 5, 2008 | 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

anybody try putting the entire 3.8 motor in a ralliart? good power, big tourque.
Old May 5, 2008 | 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

^^i remember seeing a thread a long time ago about that and everyone said too much work, too much money.
Old May 5, 2008 | 02:54 PM

no one has tried any tb swap yet?
Old May 5, 2008 | 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
anybody try putting the entire 3.8 motor in a ralliart? good power, big tourque.
I know overseas the ra was offered in the 3.8 and 2.4 I could be wrong wouldnt hurt to google it

Originally Posted by evo8ralliart_04
not yet im waiting for the funds to do it

btw sorry for the repost my black berry was being lame
Old May 6, 2008 | 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
Thats one of the reason why I'll prefer the swap over the port. So MAnudata, the inlet needs to be matched... no biggie, thanks for the info, I have a IM in the shop geting done and Ill add the TB, that way I dont end up with a restriction on the setup

BTW, thanks for showing me word I was looking for...inlet...LOL, dont forget it kids

JAJAJA Man you know what my Sig sais. hhehehehe

And yes is not a big deal, but I just dont have the time right now to do it. Next week I will try to finish the Civic (put the bumpers and mirrors on it) and buy the, the... (MARBETE) so I can use it legally and then! I can work with my RA, Modify the Motor mounts, install the TB and port the IM, maybe take it to the muffler shop to make the header. Lets se how this turn out!

And NOW read my SIG again!, HAHAH
Old May 6, 2008 | 06:38 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
Unless the 3.8L is an aluminum block, I wouldn't even come close to considering it. Our car's weight distribution is already terrible, more weight up front would be the completely wrong thing to do.

Originally Posted by evo8ralliart_04
I'd like to try it, at some point, but right now I can't be bothered to find one and then go through the hassle of removing my intake manifold to port match it.
Old May 6, 2008 | 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

^I don't really think its a matter of port matching the manifold (at first). I think that would actually make the situation (in regards to the vehicle dying off at 3000 rpm) worse.

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Technical_Lab/News/
^That article explains how the DBW system works (actually in detail cause every other explanation is very barebones) and it sounds like one of the sensors measures the amount of air coming in at X amount of opening of the throttle plate. When the CPU realizes too much air is coming in it tells the car to die off.

Thats from what I gather. I would assume you would need to get the CPU to except the extra amount of air. That only relates to using the 3.8L throttle body though. I would assume boring out our current one another 2 mm will make no difference at all.
Old May 6, 2008 | 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fifty
^I don't really think its a matter of port matching the manifold (at first). I think that would actually make the situation (in regards to the vehicle dying off at 3000 rpm) worse.

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Technical_Lab/News/
^That article explains how the DBW system works (actually in detail cause every other explanation is very barebones) and it sounds like one of the sensors measures the amount of air coming in at X amount of opening of the throttle plate. When the CPU realizes too much air is coming in it tells the car to die off.

Thats from what I gather. I would assume you would need to get the CPU to except the extra amount of air. That only relates to using the 3.8L throttle body though. I would assume boring out our current one another 2 mm will make no difference at all.
well if you had like a piggy or a aem fic controller i think you can controll it with that with the right tune . how come honda owners can throw on 70mm or bigger tbs and run them with a stock ecu ? i think the ecu will learn the new tb like a new intake it would compestate for the extra air i think and throw more fuel i could be wrong but no one has cracked a ra ecu yet .
Old May 7, 2008 | 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, but the throttle position is not independent of the MAF sensor like the filter or tubing is. you can't measure a change like that because there are still limits the car can control, such as the throttle position. when you change the cars ability to control things, such as moving 100CFM from 10% throttle to 200CFM at 10% throttle you are making much more dramatic changes as far as the ECU is concerned. It can not only measure the air, but it has a reference to compare it to. with a larger intake tract you are simply getting an easier path for the air; it's still regulated by the TPS and therefore the ECU.

no one has cracked the ECU, so you could be right I am sure there is a quite a margin left into the system since there are many things that can affect the density of air. the ECU can monitor most of those conditions though, at least the most important ones such as temperature and pressure, so
Old May 7, 2008 | 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fkdrcrs
^^i remember seeing a thread a long time ago about that and everyone said too much work, too much money.
I dont think so, since the eclipse comes with the 3.8L, and also another version with the 4g69, I think it will bolt on our cars kinda easy. Yes it will be a lot of $$$, but you will have a Allmotor STOCK Ralliart that runs 13 sec., and a few mods and see those 13 go to 12! ALLMOTOR, wich its almost imposible with the 4g69.

It will be awesome to see a Ralliart with a 3.8L

And about the weight distribution , yes I think it will be F*ckup pretty bad, but for straight line it doesnt matter...
Old May 7, 2008 | 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

My friends 06 GT Mivec does low 13's traping 106 in the quarter, now take away the fat body for a Lancer's and thats a 12 second candidate without anything major done to it.

I see around your logic EGK, I started believing anything is possible when I saw a 3.0 V6 from an Eclipse in a Mirage, let alone a H22 vtec in a Hyundai Excel...thats not even mentioning a LS1 V8 in a "sapito" Corolla
Old May 7, 2008 | 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
My friends 06 GT Mivec does low 13's traping 106 in the quarter, now take away the fat body for a Lancer's and thats a 12 second candidate without anything major done to it.

I see around your logic EGK, I started believing anything is possible when I saw a 3.0 V6 from an Eclipse in a Mirage, let alone a H22 vtec in a Hyundai Excel...thats not even mentioning a LS1 V8 in a "sapito" Corolla
theres nothing that PUERTORICANS havent seen! hehehe

I have a friend that its working on a project , the car is a Sentra b13 with a nissan v6 engine, FWD! its almost done (altima engine I think it is) and I think that would be harder than a 3.8L eclipse engine on a Lancer,

DAMN that thing should almost fly!!
Old May 8, 2008 | 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, yeah, into the track barrier...lol torque steer king..

Damn, a 3.5 VQ engine?

Definately, estamos cabrones

Quick Reply: Ported throttle body discussion