Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ported throttle body discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009 | 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by wake
No check engine...the idle searching has stop..maybe the ECU has learn that the TB is bigger!!!

You don't have to change the TPS when you do the swap!!! The GT V6 TB has the same TPS.

I'll sent a message to your friend.
great work on the swap.

i recently tried the tb swap on the 4g69 eclipse but the poor idle never went away. P0300, P0171, P0174 kept popping up, so i took it off. will still try to figure it out.

are you 100% certain that the TPS boxes are identical on the 2 units? i was thinking of swapping them...

Last edited by toortool; Apr 14, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2009 | 07:49 PM

It's working on my RA!!! Don't know if the inside of the TPS is the same cause the TBs don't have the same sizes!!!
Old Apr 15, 2009 | 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toortool
great work on the swap.

i recently tried the tb swap on the 4g69 eclipse but the poor idle never went away. P0300, P0171, P0174 kept popping up, so i took it off. will still try to figure it out.

are you 100% certain that the TPS boxes are identical on the 2 units? i was thinking of swapping them...
Yes the TPS sensors are the same and you don't need to change them. Putting a larger throttle body on seems to screw with the factory math for idle position since it needs less throttle opening for idle this means you end up with the O2 sensor trying to compensate by increasing the idle fuel trims. I haven't finished understanding how the load calculations work exactly but at idle they seem to use the TPS as part of the fuel calc and this is what's causing the problem. After some more decoding I could probably come up with some adjustments to fix it with a reflash.
Old Apr 21, 2009 | 09:38 PM

I did the GT TB swap last week on my Eclipse GS (4G69) I bought an extra intake manifold in which I was going to port and polish. My plan was to match it up to the RPW thermal spacers I ordered, but upon doing some more reseach here on evom, I read that the port must match the opening of the head and not just the gasket. The reasoning was if the opening of the manifold is larger than the head the ridge of the smaller port of the head would cause unwanted turbulence and actually hinder performance. So I just went ahead and put the manifold project aside and mounted the GT TB on the existing manfold with no porting at all. It's a quick install, for the Eclipse you need a spacer because the placement of the EGR valve is different from the Ralliart I also needed to shave the bottom leg just a lil to ensure clearence. After 5 days of driving it I must say this is a good mod. Throttle response is better and it pulls harder. I have no idle issues with the car, but it is running a lil richer at WOT, (not much) but at idle it is the same as it was stock. (14.2-14.9) I still plan on porting the manifold and switching it out, but I only will be porting the TB side (gasket match) and leaving the runners alone.
Old Nov 12, 2009 | 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

so when i get my eclipse throttle body can i use an eclipse throttle body spacer?
Old Nov 22, 2009 | 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ralliart610
so when i get my eclipse throttle body can i use an eclipse throttle body spacer?
Yes, you can use an Eclipse GT TB spacer. They are available from Outlaw Engineering. It is not needed for the Ralliart swap tho, because your EGR valve is in a different location than the GS, and there is no clearance issues.
Old Nov 27, 2009 | 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

I know this topic has been thrashed about for a while now but thought I would throw my experience in - I did the T.B swap a few months ago and the result is very good the throttle response is very very good, not sure if I am getting any extra ponies but it feels cleaner crisper than before, I did get an after dyno done and got a 138hp atw pretty good considering our cars came out with only 115hp atw, next job for me is to find another intake manifold and work that.
As CEL and incorrect idles no problems at all sure the first 20 minutes were a bit of a worry but the car sorted itself out pretty quickly, fuel consumption has increased using more fuel but nothing that I can't live with.
Old Dec 6, 2009 | 01:01 PM

Is there any difference between the TPS on auto vs manual Eclipse GTs? I'm seeing TB assemblies that came off AT Eclipses that are cheaper, and just want to make sure that they'll work on a MT Ralliart.
Old Feb 22, 2010 | 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

so with everything ive read thus far, these are pretty much plug&play/direct swaps correct? what's this im hearing about a TB bypass?
Old Feb 22, 2010 | 04:23 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Yea just plug and play ten minute job with tb bypass... Which is bypassing the coolant line that flows through the tb .
Old Feb 22, 2010 | 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Yea just plug and play ten minute job with tb bypass... Which is bypassing the coolant line that flows through the tb .
is there a how-to anywhere?

would i see any noticeable gains with this TB by itself? im wondering if i should do the swap now, or once i get my P&P head and IM. Is there any additional mods/fabbing i need to do to the TB or P&P IM? they are perfectly compatible with eachother, correct?
Old Mar 8, 2010 | 06:27 PM

Hey guys! I've made an How-to on a french forum if any of you would like to know how to oversize their RA throttle body. Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2010 | 02:51 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

In French? I knew it was pointless taking Spanish ...
Old Mar 9, 2010 | 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Can't link the pictures ?!?