Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ported throttle body discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008 | 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ported throttle body discussion

So I was searching around on another forum and saw this http://www.proflowdesign.com

they make ported tbs for the 4g eclispses which happen to have our same engine . so my question is would this be benefical to a N/A car cause they go from a stock 65mm to 67mm . So should i be the guinea pig and order one and review it?
Old May 1, 2008 | 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

is always good
Old May 1, 2008 | 04:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Never know until somebody tries it out. But I still think someone needs to try out the throttle body from a 3.8L V6 Eclipse/Galant to see if that works. IIRC, it's bigger than that bored one, and the price is the same.

Last edited by otter; May 1, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 1, 2008 | 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

What year eclipse? I may test it out
Old May 1, 2008 | 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cj98
What year eclipse? I may test it out
02-06 4gen eclipse with the 3.8L , Im thinking about buying it for 170 thats a steal for one or you can do core exchange im going to give them a ring on monday when i get back home
Old May 1, 2008 | 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Never know until somebody tries it out. But I still think someone needs to try out the throttle body from a 3.8L V6 Eclipse/Galant to see if that works. IIRC, it's bigger than that bored one, and the price is the same.
Actually I have one since 2 months ago, and I havent installed it yet , for me

< for the one who put it first HEHE

The stock Ralliart is 60mm, the Eclipse 3.8L is 65mm
Old May 2, 2008 | 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Que esperas, is worth it, from what I hear. Dont forget to also install the Idle controller, little box under it( kinda obvious cuz it comes with it) if u use the RA one, it wont start. If u do install it, tell us if the new TB would need us to match the tb to the intake manifolds plenum chamber so no porting id needed on it...Ive heard it matches, but havent seen it myself
Old May 2, 2008 | 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

This could be very interested. egk you need to get on that and install it, see how it works!
Old May 2, 2008 | 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egk-69
Actually I have one since 2 months ago, and I havent installed it yet , for me

< for the one who put it first HEHE

The stock Ralliart is 60mm, the Eclipse 3.8L is 65mm
where can you find a 3.8l throttle body i wanna try this out , but it does line up the same right? since the plenums are totaly different between the v6 and 4 let me know where and i will be the guinea pig
Old May 3, 2008 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
Que esperas, is worth it, from what I hear. Dont forget to also install the Idle controller, little box under it( kinda obvious cuz it comes with it) if u use the RA one, it wont start. If u do install it, tell us if the new TB would need us to match the tb to the intake manifolds plenum chamber so no porting id needed on it...Ive heard it matches, but havent seen it myself
JEJEJE es ke no tengo tiempo ni otro karro para kedarme apies...

(I dont have time and/or other car)

The thing is, that you have to port the intakemanifold, maybe not the complete plenum, but I dont think I will do all that on 1 day, hehe, so I havent done it yet because of that. Lets see If I can Do it Soon (not like the header 9 Months and still havent done anything! HAHA)

BTW: I buy it on EBAY.

And YES It comes with the black thing , kinda ecu or something like that, I test it with the car on "ON" and it works very good.
Old May 3, 2008 | 08:24 PM

How's it going? I have been following this thread and someone on Club4g.org just posted a GT TB for sale with sensors for 80+ship if anyone is intrested. None of us GSers have tried this mod yet over there, or even picked up a proflo one. I browse around here to see what u Ralliart guys are doing it's very helpful and I hope to learn a few things here that will help me mod my motor when the time/funds permit.

http://club4g.org/board/automotive-s...arts-sale.html
Old May 4, 2008 | 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Well if you have to port the tb plenum to use the 3.8 that will require some custom job I know there is a vender here called ppi engerring that offers services to port out the tb part , I'm going to order the stock over bored
Old May 4, 2008 | 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

the stock one bored, will only be 62mm, you can find a Endeavour one wich is 63mm and will cost you less

anyways anything besides 60mm you will have to open the inlet of the intake manifold, maybe not bore the plenum, but im sure you have to open up a little the inlet...
Old May 5, 2008 | 03:21 AM

i've ported my throttle body a week ago...a lot...i think i did it too much that the flap doens't seal...it has a gap all around it...i can feel a difference in top end power and also the sound...but after 2-3 days after i did it...the ecu learns it...the ses light goes off...and then it goes into a limp mode...i'll stomp on the gas but the rpm will go slowly to 3000 and stop there...so i just reset the ecu when it happened and it was fine for 3 days again and it happened today again...i checked the ecu pinout and was thinking maybe if i cut the back up power for the ecu it will reset it everytime i turn off the car...what do you guys think?
Old May 5, 2008 | 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thats one of the reason why I'll prefer the swap over the port. So MAnudata, the inlet needs to be matched... no biggie, thanks for the info, I have a IM in the shop geting done and Ill add the TB, that way I dont end up with a restriction on the setup

BTW, thanks for showing me word I was looking for...inlet...LOL, dont forget it kids

Quick Reply: Ported throttle body discussion