Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

just did timing belt, vibration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing this thread back to LIFE!
Did the timing belt, have vibration/noise at 2600 rpm. Definitely not as it was. So, either the front, back, or both of the balance shafts are off.

If you cant stick your screwdriver in the cylinder block plug hole as far as you need to (~60mm) and your oil pump gear lines up with its reference marks (like mine did), then you need to rotate the crankshaft clockwise until you encounter TDC again.
That is with the belt on or off?...

Also, any tips on special tool MDwhatever to set the timing belt tensioner pully (i call it the smilie face pully lol) and special tool MDwhateverelse to press on the hydraulic tensioner arm?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
for the tensioner, just use a C clamp, and press it very slowly, and then pin in it...

for the smiley face pulley, use an allen key, and a precision screwdriver...or two allen keys, whatever, but use them so you can get some leverage, you know what i mean?

here's a picture i drew in paint:

Hope that helps...

It does sound like the forward balance shaft is out...the rear balance shaft, if the timing marks line up, it's good, though on the balancer sprocket it's going to end up slightly ahead of the mark in reference to a clockwise direction.

to check the forward shaft, yes, belt stays on, turn the crank by hand until all the marks are line up again, and do the screwdriver trick...if you need a picture of where the inpection bolt is to do this, send me a PM, do you have the service manual?

if the balance shaft is not aligned correctly, the belt need to come off...sorry
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

we used two allen keys, they bent... then used two drill bits and they stayed a bit better. Maybe we're just putting too much torque on the pulley when we're tightening the belt.
Found it rather difficult to get the tensioner pulley so that the pin easily moves in and out.

Last edited by Thomar; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

if the bolt on the pulley is loose it should not require a lot of torque, the manual shows the final position of the pulley, it should not require a substantial amount of force to put it there, and then you just tighten the bolt...

you leave the pin in the auto tensioner until the timing is aligned correctly, then pulling the pin is the last thing you do before installing the timing cover...i hope we're on the same page here, your last post was kind of confusing...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
...though on the balancer sprocket it's going to end up slightly ahead of the mark in reference to a clockwise direction.
you mean slightly below? aka counterclockwise of the mark?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

yea according to otter, one mark ahead/counterclockwise.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
you mean slightly below? aka counterclockwise of the mark?
yes, that's exactly what i just said...if it were rotating clockwise, the mark on the sprocket would end up slighty ahead (before) of the mark on the block

Originally Posted by Thomar
yea according to otter, one mark ahead/counterclockwise.
see above...when i say ahead, i mean before, or in advance...the mark in the block is not in motion, so it's acceptable english to say the mark on the sprocket is ahead, no?

made sense to me, but you both said the same thing i was trying to say in different ways...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

anyway, hope to get this figured out tomorrow.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

it's a fairly quick job to find out if the front balance shaft is out...i don't think the rear balance shaft being out half a tooth would cause such a violent vibration/noise...my money's on the front shaft...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

All done, was the front shaft, was out by 180 degrees.
I'm not really sure at all about the rear balance shaft. The way I see it, when everything is on the timing mark, the rear balance shaft is almost right on the mark, maybe just ever so slightly passed it. When setting it back a tooth, its noticeably before the timing mark, which is how I left it.
So far though, so good.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

like i said, the rear shaft being out a half tooth, i don't think would make much a different...glad you got it all straight away...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

maybe its a difference between 2004 and 2006 model year *shrug*
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
it's a fairly quick job to find out if the front balance shaft is out...i don't think the rear balance shaft being out half a tooth would cause such a violent vibration/noise...my money's on the front shaft...
hey bud is their a way to check the rear balance shaft i haven't done my belt yet but im just curious i know about the front one so i was wondering if the back one has a similar idea or do u just line up the marks and hope for the best
Old Jan 7, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

The back one, just line up the timing marks. You can check it, but you need to remove various pulleys and covers to get to the timing belt. The belt for the rear balance shaft is behind the timing belt.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

this is correct, there is no access i know of to the rear balance shaft from outside the engine, as thomar said you simply line up the marks...

Quick Reply: just did timing belt, vibration