Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

just did timing belt, vibration

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did timing belt, vibration

Hey all! I just did my timing belt and when I started it up everything runs fine, at idle. When I went to test drive it I felt some vibration in the drivetrain, even through the shifter linkage. I think its a problem with the balance shaft, but when I just took it all back apart everythings perfectly timed (theres a seperate belt for the balance shaft only). Is it possible to have the balance shaft 360 degrees off? I replaced both belts, with OEM equipment, and timing belt tensioner OEM. I should clarify, the higher the RPM and load on engine the worse the vibration is felt.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's possible to have the balance shaft off. Rotate everything to TDC then shove a screwdriver into the balance shaft access port on the front of the engine. You should be able to stick it in 2.4". If you can't, then it's out of phase.

Last edited by otter; Aug 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:59 PM

Wow! thanks for the free knowledge, that was exactly my problem. Much appreciated otter
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
otter de' guru of RA's... Dude Otter if you ever get rid of the RA... it will be a sad sad day for the community.

Henry, how long did it take you.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

if you know what you're doing, it shouldn't take too much longer than 2 hours
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:59 PM

4 hours without my little mistake, cuz I was dillydallying. It was actually surprisingly easy I used a 14mm wrench, 1/4 rachet and 10mm, and a impact set (1/2 drive) 21mm-12mm and that was it. Any somewhat competent person could do it. I got all the parts for a 60k, but when I got the old belt off, I just wanted it back together so didnt do the water pump, but itd be another 30 minutes to do it.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

after you get everything off, IIRC there's virtually nothing else to do but take the 5 bolts off the water pump to change that, so it was a "might as well do it while im down here" sort of deal. it shouldn't have taken more than 30 minutes to remove and reinstall the new pump.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

hm....i am having the same problem.....seems like i gotta check my balance shaft too now. thanks otter
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

just so ya know, i saved myself alot of grief from having to rip everything back off again by making everything EXPLICITLY clear where stuff matched with what. I put chalk marks on the old belt where TDC marks were in respect to the exact sprocket gear, and transferred those marks to the new belt just to be sure nothing moved.

Taking the extra 5 minutes to be thorough sure can save you alot of time and trouble when doing maintenence on your car!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyj
just so ya know, i saved myself alot of grief from having to rip everything back off again by making everything EXPLICITLY clear where stuff matched with what. I put chalk marks on the old belt where TDC marks were in respect to the exact sprocket gear, and transferred those marks to the new belt just to be sure nothing moved.

Taking the extra 5 minutes to be thorough sure can save you alot of time and trouble when doing maintenence on your car!
Even doing that, things can be put together wrong, especially if something manages to spin a bit without you noticing. Everything the timing belt attaches to rotates at different speeds, which is why it takes 6 crank rotations for everything to line up.

The service manual has diagrams of where all the pulleys should be positioned and shows how to ensure that the balance shafts are in phase.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

i have the service manual and me and my mechanic followed the same thing just to double check, but in the end since my step dad's mechanic marked like 3 spots....soo....now this will be the 4th time i am taking my timing belt off....hahahah sucks *****....
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
otter where can i get the service manual?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

dealership, ebay, craigslist, maybe autozone?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

any one got a how to with pics?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

idea occurred to me 1/2 way through that i probably should have done a write up on it w/ pics, but then shear laziness set in.....

I still remember just about everything, only did it 2 months ago, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer

Quick Reply: just did timing belt, vibration