Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

So I thought my timing belt broke... now I'm just confused.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you notice any of the other pulleys seized up? Another thing i would look at is the pulleys the timing belt is routed to.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't checked any other pulleys that the timing belt runs through. That'll require more disassembly than I've done so far. What all does it route to? Just the water pump, balance shafts, and crank? I don't remember offhand. I'll do some digging around in a few to find the diagram, I've come across it on here before.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, well I know for sure now it's the timing belt. And since I was running about 3500 RPM's when it died I'm fairly certain there's some valve damage. So my next step is to pull off the cylinder head, find out what valves are trashed, then spend a boatload of money!

I'm going to have the head ported and polished, replace the bad valves, get the intake manifold ported and polished, and get the RRM cam installed. I figure since I'm gonna have everything torn apart I might as well get some mods done that I've been wanting to do anyway. It'll keep my car off the road longer than I really want it to be, but I'm sure I'll be pleased after it's all put back together. I'm hoping to spend around $1700 total.

So, any guesses as to what kind of gains that'll get me? I'm thinking around 20-25HP...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:09 PM

It sounds to me like the timming belt jumped a couple of teeths.....and now the pistons me be hitting the valvs 'cuase the engine is out of timming.
If you remove the spark plugs, and with a wrench (at the crankshaft damper) try to rotate the engine. If you can there is a mark at the cam gear that most be completly up and aligned with a mark that is in the valve cover. When they are aligned look for some ignition timming marks at the lower t-belt cover, look for the zero; the damper mark should be spot on...
I'm worried about your engine valves....sorry.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:39 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
20-25hp seems possible , since you'll have the head off go get it p&p, I know where you can get a full set of +1mm valves for 400 bucks ,abit steep but worth it in the long run..
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
20-25hp seems possible , since you'll have the head off go get it p&p, I know where you can get a full set of +1mm valves for 400 bucks ,abit steep but worth it in the long run..
The guy at the shop included +1 valves in his quote, so I'm good to go there... I'm probably pulling the head off either today or tomorrow, I'll post some pics of whatever damage that may have happened.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Ohhh so your porting and polishing the head as well? If so i'd say 25+hp gain and 1700 , for the rrm cam,+1 valves, p&p IM and labor sounds like a good deal to me.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Just be sure the guy know what he is talking about when he says he is getting you "+1" valves, because I only ever found one guy selling +1 valves and its probably the same guy lanzerralliart is talking about. Make sure their not going to try an put in evo valves or something.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'm not sure where he's going to be sourcing the valves from. It's a shop that specializes in building motors for racing applications, so I'm putting some faith in their reputation that they'll do it right. But yeah, I'm getting the head ported and polished with +1mm valves, Intake manifold gasket matched, and installing the RRM cam. I'm also thinking about getting the IM and throttle body thermal spacers too since I'm gonna have everything torn apart anyway.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a pic of today's progress: Rockers removed and some wiring pulled...

Oh, look, it's my 100th post!!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Yeah I was wondering if you had seen the thermal spacers thread, and good job on the 100th post it only took 3 years lol j/k
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Yeah I was wondering if you had seen the thermal spacers thread, and good job on the 100th post it only took 3 years lol j/k
lol, yeah, I do alot more reading than I do posting on here.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Last pic for today... Got the fuel rail, upper radiator hose, head bolts, upper intake tube, header, and various wires and hoses disconnected. Just a few more hoses and bolts left to go then the head and IM will be ready to come out!

Last edited by Arxylis; Jul 29, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you ever find what was busted?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

heres a tip when you put it back together... the rocker arm bars, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THEM BACK PROPPER. recently had a fiasco when we put mine on. Put them on wrong so no oil fed through, destroyed my cam and arms (

Quick Reply: So I thought my timing belt broke... now I'm just confused.