Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

HELP MIVEC HELP needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP MIVEC HELP needed ASAP!

ok guys so im driving to school this morning im on the on ramp i rev it out to about 5K in 3rd go to fourth and 5th at around 4k or 4500 so im driving and this G35 trys to pass me so i get on the gas a little and when i hit 80 at 4k in 5th my car started to cut mivec and just reved out at 4k so i did it a couple more times to make sure i knew what the problem was. So i pull over check my cai and my maf then i tried driving again it cuts mivec at 4k in each gear and revs out. So i went home pulled off the cai and took out the maf and i reinstalled it all and realized there is a whole big enough to stick like 2 or 3 fingers in one side of the filter i have the aem dry flow filter could this be the reason mivec is being cut? or could it be an internall issue like the valves? I just wana know so i dont waste money on a ****ty spectre filter if its an internal problem the car has 1198xx miles its time to change the timing belt serpentine belt waterpump and the tensioners could anyof those parts effect my mivec problem? any help would be apprieciated
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure your clutch is not slipping?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, sounds like the clutch. Get that checked by an experienced mechanic now and if it is the clutch change it asap. If you don't, very soon it will slip so much you won't be able to drive it to the garage.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

There's a hole in your filter??!!! You need a new filter asap first.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:04 AM

would the clutch really stop me from reving pass 4k when its not engaged? hmm it might be slipping this is my first stick car ive had it since last october and when i first got it the clutch was really tight and stiff now it feels kinda loose like a Vdub clutch my tranny also grinds in third sumtimes if that could help us diagnose the problem
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Are throwing any codes?
If you cant go past 4k rpm your car may be in limp mode, but from your first post is kinda sounds like the clutch.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

Yea its throwing a code i got it checked and erased once and it came back i dont remember the exact code but i know it was a P coded ill get it checked again with a scanner and post the exact code number. my car has had a cel since the second day ive had it but it idles fine and ive been driving it for a year with that cel but ill go to advanced auto and get the code again. is there anything i could have done to make it go into limp mode? i just got gas and then i went on the high way mivec was working fine the whole time. it let me go pass 4k when i first got on the highway but after that as soon my tach would get to 4k my car would just rev out and start shaking if i tried to maintain that rpm.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:07 PM

the code is P0102 but ive had that code since i first got my car before i installed any mods so what could it be causing mivec to rev out at 4k?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:18 PM

that code is related to the MAF... could be it going bad or just dirty
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

what happened to the rest of the filter? i hope it didnt get sucked into the engine. i would clean the maf with crc mass air flow cleaner and get another filter and see if that fixes it first. maybe the hole in the filter was letting too much air go pass the maf and it went into limp mode.

Last edited by ralliart610; Aug 17, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:20 PM

Had this exact problem with my car, the mech at the dealership said that the outlanders with our engine are more prone to it but its something w the ecu tripping all they did is reflash me and I was on the road again! They said they don't know causes it.

What happened w me is I got on it out of a parking lot shifted to second hit mivec and my car hit what seemed like a rev limetor and wouldn't go above 3800rpm...I maxed out at like 60 in 5th. 20min at the dealership and all was good.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:44 AM

so i need to take my car to mitsubishi to get a reflash? or should i clean the maf and replace the filter? i flashed the code at advanced auto and as soon as i hit 4k the cel comes back on
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRalliart#1
so i need to take my car to mitsubishi to get a reflash? or should i clean the maf and replace the filter? i flashed the code at advanced auto and as soon as i hit 4k the cel comes back on
You'll definitely want to replace your airfilter if you have a hole in it. From the sound of it, it sounds exactly what happen to my car. I never checked for any codes before I just called my mech right away
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:10 AM

do you by anychance have a number for ur mech? because i just talked to a technian at one of my local mitsubishi dealers and he was absoloutely no help
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRalliart#1
do you by anychance have a number for ur mech? because i just talked to a technian at one of my local mitsubishi dealers and he was absoloutely no help
Pm'd