Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Tranny gone

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Good god those 3 quarts were 60 bones...
Tell me about it. I used to be able to get GM Synchromesh for about $6/quart at a dealer near where I lived. Then it went up to $8, then $11. Don't know what it is now, probably in the neighborhood of $15.

If you have anything else you could use the 75w90 in, drain it into a clean pan and keep it. Or bottle it and send it to me, I could use it in the shaft drive gearbox on my Kawasaki.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sell it to ya 30 bucks shipped an PPd an you have a deal
Old May 18, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
so what was wrong with the old transmission?
Old May 19, 2011, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didnt really see anything broken except some worn synchros..
Old May 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Tell me about it. I used to be able to get GM Synchromesh for about $6/quart at a dealer near where I lived. Then it went up to $8, then $11. Don't know what it is now, probably in the neighborhood of $15.

If you have anything else you could use the 75w90 in, drain it into a clean pan and keep it. Or bottle it and send it to me, I could use it in the shaft drive gearbox on my Kawasaki.

man i LOOOOVE having a friend that works at a parts store. I dont think i paid for oil, spark plugs, gear oil, filters, or anything since 08. I was actually thinking about selling spark plugs on this site for a 100% profit rofl.

oh shannnnnooooonnnnnnnn we have a conversation to finish...... lol
Old May 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

i would like to have a spare transmission..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You had it easy... my rear main went..lost my clutch/flywheel and all my bearings.

My motor is done now as well.... it still runs but it's barely able to keep up with a mini van loaded with migrant workers, pretty sure the compression is gone.

Will blow up soon I'm sure I can feel it coming.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamRA
You had it easy... my rear main went..lost my clutch/flywheel and all my bearings.

My motor is done now as well.... it still runs but it's barely able to keep up with a mini van loaded with migrant workers, pretty sure the compression is gone.

Will blow up soon I'm sure I can feel it coming.
Well the motor is still going but.... my second transmission just went.. for some reason I keep losing bearings in these transmissions.... I just don't get it. I don't even drive it hard.

Looking into rebuilding and getting my LSD installed. Meh I kind of want to ditch this car now though.. it wouldn't be so bad if I could do the installs but labor is brutal.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly couldn't imagine paying someone hourly for maintenance and repairs, let alone modifications...WTF, for the money you spend on that you might as well have just bought a better car if you can afford to pay someone to work on it.

I don't see how you could be shredding bearings so often unless something else is worng, i pulled my tranny at 165,000 km and all the bearings were fine, i replaced them for longetivity, but seriously, i drive my car pretty hard, and she sees the track about once a month as well, and i have not had any major breakages.

I wouldn't trust the RRM kit is tuned properly, since there are many atmospheric variables that affect how the car will run, especially under boost, and changing seasons in canada, and the northern US, that the piggy back can not compensate for, unless you are properly tuned, I would put my money on that putting a beating on the motor, and also i would make sure your flywheel is not warped, or that you don't have crank walk if your constantly roasting bearings in your transmission, i dunno, sounds to me like something is wobbling that shouldn't be.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 28, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I've never paid for anything other than transmission work/turbo kit install which I could have done myself most likely. I wish I had gone with a better platform from day 1 but money was tight should have taken the hit.

Well I had the input shaft bearing go and my rear main went so I lost my flywheel/clutch. I was under the car on the weekend and it's got a small leak from the passenger side axle seal I'm starting to think maybe it's the diff this time and not bearings in the trans. It could also be inner CV's they would make roughly the same noise... I know it's not the ISB though. It's mainly growling on accel/decel I also have some random clicking that tends to go from side to side it's not continous though like cv's normally are just a couple clicks then it's gone. I'm thinking it's the diff.

Don't get me started on the RRM kit.... I have **** load of gripes about the kit and the quality of the parts I got... still never got any money back from RRM after my manifold had to be completely modified to work.

Oh lawd... someone burn this mother down for me.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I honestly couldn't imagine paying someone hourly for maintenance and repairs, let alone modifications...WTF, for the money you spend on that you might as well have just bought a better car if you can afford to pay someone to work on it.

I don't see how you could be shredding bearings so often unless something else is worng, i pulled my tranny at 165,000 km and all the bearings were fine, i replaced them for longetivity, but seriously, i drive my car pretty hard, and she sees the track about once a month as well, and i have not had any major breakages.

I wouldn't trust the RRM kit is tuned properly, since there are many atmospheric variables that affect how the car will run, especially under boost, and changing seasons in canada, and the northern US, that the piggy back can not compensate for, unless you are properly tuned, I would put my money on that putting a beating on the motor, and also i would make sure your flywheel is not warped, or that you don't have crank walk if your constantly roasting bearings in your transmission, i dunno, sounds to me like something is wobbling that shouldn't be.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you had to modify you manifold after paying 4,500 bucks ? please elaborate... that sux
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
you had to modify you manifold after paying 4,500 bucks ? please elaborate... that sux
Nope I had bought a run down kit, so I decided rather than chance it I bought a new 02 housing and a new manifold. With the new manifold RRM sent me I was boosting to 12+ PSI we had to remove it cut the manifold wastegate tube open it up and reweld. We did try many springs to try and negate the manifold issue but even a 3psi spring was overboosting. After we opened it up and made some minor changed to the 02 housing we were able to get it to flow properly and I was boosting to 6 PSI loads of power was but it's only for so long before your motor not designed for boost starts to get weak.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't gone there yet, i'm standing on the edge, about to dive into the world of boost, but i want to continue believing "it's not the boost, it's the tune"...

If you need a stock diff, i can hook you up, the bearings on it seemed to be ok...but i highly recommend an LSD.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 28, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the LSD on the shelf along with 2 of everything else for this car except transmissions and motors doh !

I would be willing to throw down large amounts of money that it's not the tune but the 5th injector setup. It's just not a good design it's born to fail you know that at least one cylinder isn't getting proper fueling since it doesn't split the fuel up perfect Not even going to get started on partial boost problems.

Love the fact I learned all of this AFTER buying and installing the kit.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Live and learn dude

Quick Reply: Tranny gone